Buyer's remorse and the Yamaha 663

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
So here's the deal and I appreciate an honest and to the point answer.

I bought the Marantz SR4002 before seeing the thread discussing the merits of the upcoming 663. While the 4002 has HDMI 1.3 pass thru, it doesn't have the switching (the HDMI out even has 1.1 printed above it) or the True HD, etc decoding for sound. It will also only set the Xover to 80Hz ( Iwas wondering what the 663 will do if anyone knows?), and I think I would like a bit more flexibility. I got a pretty decent deal of $110.00 off MSRP but I only have thirty days to return.

Here's my dilemma: Marantz is a good name and probably will do OK until I get a HD TV and BDP (maybe in a year or two or three) but then I'll need to pop for a new amp to take full advantage of the benefit of 1.3.
OR
I return it now, get over the impatience of not hooking my system up for a bit, spend a bit closer to what my budget will allow BUT get the receiver that will do what I want more fully.

This may seem a no brainer but I'm wondering about the time frame of the technology,etc...We all know things change quickly. Would it make sense to hold onto this receiver, count it as a bargain because by the time I get the TV there will be new equipment out? Or will the 663 carry me far enough down the years to not regret it anyway.

Please give me your thoughts, sorry for the long post, and Happy Listening.

Last edited:
yatesd

yatesd

Enthusiast
I think it is best to research until you buy, but then once the purchase is made, don't look back. The 4002 is a well regarded reciever from the reviews I read.

IMHO the return policies are only appropriate if there was something wrong with the product, or found out after the fact it didn't work as you had hoped.

In another 6 months, I'll be thinking there is something that is a better deal than my 663. With technology, there will always be changes around the corner.

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Sorta related

Does anyone have early specs on the emotiva LMC 2 I see so much about? their site is woefully lacking. How about MSRP? and would this be good alternative to even the 663?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i don't think it's wise to wait for the LMC 2. they don't even have a specific time frame for its release. the speakers and sub they announced last year have yet to be released.

how much exactly did you buy the marantz for?

and how much can you get a 663?

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Marantz SR 4002

I took advantage of the 20% off receivers here at the store, so I paid $439.00.
The Yamaha is supposed to be $549.00 which is what I had budgeted for the Marantz before the discount.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i would personally get the yammy. IMO, it's about as future proof as you can get right now ... and there doesn't seem to be anything BIG on the horizon.

but of course, it depends on how big of a difference 110 bucks is for you.

i also like the All analog inputs upconversion to HDMI feature on the 663.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/marantz-sr4002

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I don't believe there is anything that requires HDMI 1.3 nor is there anything on the horizon. I would view it as a future proofing thing and not even a particularly important one.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Receivers

I wouldn't get too hung up on HDMI versions, but some sites have the new RX-V663 for $400 on pre-order. Check the Deals section of the forum.

My 2-3 year old Yamaha has 60, 80, 100, 120, etc. global crossover settings so bass management shouldn't be a problem.

Emotiva seperates would be nice, if you plan on spending $1400 for electronics and not $400. The LMC-2 pre-pro will be $800. Just start with a good receiver and use the rest of your budget for the most important component, speakers. With the Yamaha or other receiver w/ pre-amp outputs you can always add an amp later.

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Thanks all

Thanks JC, Mike, Yates, etc...I think the 663 will have what I need for now and for future and just feels like a better fit than the SR 4002 (still a great receiver). I think I will prefer the Xover control also (not a complete control freak but then again :rolleyes:)

The store even has the 663 up for pre-sale at $499.00. So as soon as I hear from them regarding my return, I'll ship the SR 4002 back and pay not too much extra for the 663. I have the Aperions on the way already and then I'll just be waiting to put the juice to em.

Thanks agin for all the responses.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis