Buy separate or all in one box?

I

imforumuser

Audiophyte
I would like to setup a home theater at my home. I already have 4 in-ceiling speakers, so wondering what should I get. Am I still better off just buying the whole home theater in a box which has the receiver, sub and the 5 speakers. Or should I just get the receiver, sub and the one central speaker all separate?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
What are the speakers in the ceiling? What is your budget? normally ceiling speakers sound inadequate for surround sound, where are they placed? you want your front 3 to match make and series...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
What is the budget?

Also, prefer that the front L/C/R not be in-ceiling. This can be quite distracting for audio/video.

Last edited:
I

imforumuser

Audiophyte
What is the budget?

Also, prefer that the front L/C/R not be in-ceiling. This can be quite distracting for audio/video.
Do not really have a high budget. What my question really was can I buy the home theater in a box, something like this
Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package: Electronics

or should I buy the receiver, sub and central speaker separately. Is there a package that just has these three things?

Going online it seems buying the whole page with all the 5 speakers seems to be cheaper....

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Again, as a previous poster recommended, your front three speakers should be of the same manufacturer/line otherwise the sound will be, let's just say, less than you hope for, particularly when two of them are pointing down from the ceiling.

A third option you might consider is a receiver and the front three speakers, using two ceiling speakers for the rear surrounds.

Balls in your court...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Do not really have a high budget. What my question really was can I buy the home theater in a box, something like this
Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package: Electronics

or should I buy the receiver, sub and central speaker separately. Is there a package that just has these three things?

Going online it seems buying the whole page with all the 5 speakers seems to be cheaper....
I do not know of a package that has the 3 things you want.

It still depends somewhat on your budget - however, uneven sounds across the front is distracting.
In-ceiling for surround can be ok.

For the front three, you want the sound panning from left to right or right to left, to be even across
the front. Do you want someone talking from the screen in front of you, while the sounds from the
left and right fronts are above your head - it will be unbalanced and distracting.

Also as stated, the front 3 should be matched - and things sound better with a decent sub.

Timbre matching from Bluray Forum
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=4278584&postcount=3

If you desire - based on budget, the forum here can recommend some stuff.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A third option you might consider is a receiver and the front three speakers, using two ceiling speakers for the rear surrounds.

Balls in your court...
My thoughts exactly and the choices very much depends on budget and room size
We can't recommend anything without knowing it first

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis