M

mnc615

Enthusiast
Best buy has got a Buttkicker LFE Kit available online for iunder $400, this is a steal! Ebayers are still selling close to msrp of 550-600.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I have yet to understand the desire for one of these products. When my sub hits low and loud, I feel it...

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Why buttkicker?

The buttkicker allows you to feel the bass without rattling the windows, disturbing the neighbors, or waking up the kids. Also, medium to large sized rooms would require a lot of subwoofer (2 x $1k subs) to provide the "feel" that you get from a 10" sub in a 100 sq ft. room.

With the best buy price, you can add a second buttkicker and bracket to the kit for <$600. This is the low end of the price range for descent performing 12" subwoofers.

Mani-aX

Mani-aX

Enthusiast
edwelly said:
I have yet to understand the desire for one of these products. When my sub hits low and loud, I feel it...
i could see maybe buying the computer version for an "rumble pack equipped" feeling while playing games. but im with you on the HT idea, get a good sub. who wants a lot of wires going all over the place to set these up anyway...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
People use these for systems where the bass can't be audible. Say you live in an apartment. Paper thin walls. Having a 1000 watt subwoofer hitting 16hz is not going to make the neighboors happy unless you live beside me. :)

Plus the shaking brings you into the movies. Ever played PS2 with the shaking controlers? :)

SheepStar

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I hope my post didn't come across as being rude, that was not my intention. I just never understood the desire in those things. When I lived in my apartment, I hade my old sub turned down pretty low. I would have rather heard the bass and not felt vs. feeling it and not hearing it...

M

mnc615

Enthusiast
Not a replacement

The buttkicker isnt a replacement for a sub by far. My speaker budget only left me with a 350watt 12" sub. For that extra feel another sub might give me i decided to go the kicker route.

The living room of tomoroow at disneys epcot has kickers or i think they called them shakers in the seats.

I wouldve never guessed they were this cheap.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$400?! You could put together a Bass Shaker kit yourself for around $200 from Parts Express.

My buddy has a DIY Sonotube sub tuned to 17Hz fed by a bridged crown amp pushing around 1500w and he STILL has tactile transducers, because you can't always have a sub like that going with neighbors that have connected walls.

1khpsupra

1khpsupra

Audioholic Intern
Mine just arrived yesterday evening, configured the BK setup only to find the 4806 was not triggering the BK amp. My old Kenwood vr-3080 would play it with out a hitch. I was hoping to add some to my video games and movies. I was using Xbox Dead to Rights for testing as it has some very low base that repeats during the intro scene to trouble shoot.
I would say that the BK would be annoying with a constant base tone that the game puts as it cycles repeatedly. I’m really looking to compliment my current sub with some feel during video games. I will provide an update when I get it working off the 4086 if I enjoy the experience.

Last edited:
M

mnc615

Enthusiast
Wouldnt send signal?

Lost on that, mines on the way hope i dont have the same issues. Ive got onkyo 702. I should just be able to split off and run to the amp and my sub right?

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
edwelly said:
I hope my post didn't come across as being rude, that was not my intention. I just never understood the desire in those things. When I lived in my apartment, I hade my old sub turned down pretty low. I would have rather heard the bass and not felt vs. feeling it and not hearing it...
I wouldn't have taken it as rude. Anyway, using the shakers is really something you've got to try in order to understand. Once you have them you'll never want to be without them. In my setup I've upgraded everything many times over in recent years, the biggest impact on my system are the Buttkickers. My sub is a quality sub that can play loud and low; the Buttkickers serve to enhance the sub, not replace.

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
$400?! You could put together a Bass Shaker kit yourself for around $200 from Parts Express.
You could, but you wouldn't get an amp capable of 2100 watts into 2 ohms and you definitely wouldn't even approach the experience you get with a Buttkicker for just $200 more.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
hifiman said:
Once you have them you'll never want to be without them.
You are right. I have never tried them and I shouldn't be negative on something I have never tired... My fault and I am sorry...:(

M

mnc615

Enthusiast
your opinion matters

Dont sweat it, i wasnt offened by your opinion. I appreciate knowing where you stand and ill take the advice as it comes!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis