Building Radio from OLD console type radio Cabinet

A

Adam Orange

Audiophyte
I bought an old radio at an auction. The inside was totally shot but the wood cabinet is really cool looking.
It's a 50's model about 3 feet tall with a rotary dial for a tuner. You get the picture.

So I would like to place a some type of receiver in the old box with a dial to pick up radio stations. I had newer radio that I tore apart but I must have broke something in the process because it doesn't work at all.

Do they sell a radio compent with a radio receiver with a dial control?

Also I think I need some type of amp control with volume and or Base and Treble. If they dials were seperate that would be great because there are holes in the cabinet for them.

Another wish would be a bluetooth module to add so I can link my cell phone to the mix and switch between radio or recorded music.

I found some things on amazon but Im not sure what I need so I didnt order them...

I was looking for a good component company online but not sure what I am looking for.

THANKS ADAM

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought an old radio at an auction. The inside was totally shot but the wood cabinet is really cool looking.
It's a 50's model about 3 feet tall with a rotary dial for a tuner. You get the picture.

So I would like to place a some type of receiver in the old box with a dial to pick up radio stations. I had newer radio that I tore apart but I must have broke something in the process because it doesn't work at all.

Do they sell a radio compent with a radio receiver with a dial control?

Also I think I need some type of amp control with volume and or Base and Treble. If they dials were seperate that would be great because there are holes in the cabinet for them.

Another wish would be a bluetooth module to add so I can link my cell phone to the mix and switch between radio or recorded music.

I found some things on amazon but Im not sure what I need so I didnt order them...

I was looking for a good component company online but not sure what I am looking for.

THANKS ADAM
What is your definition of 'totally shot'? If it's relatively clean and generally intact, it could probably be made to work again. typically, it would need electrolytic capacitors. a grounded power cord, controls and switches cleaned and maybe a new dial string, but it should work. I seriously doubt you'll find a newer tuner that will work for this application but antique radio repair shops do exist. Tubes are a piece of cake to find.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't seen a dial tuner since the Advent 300 receiver from the early 70's or the Sansui TU-555 tuner from the late 60's.

advent 300.jpg
sansui tu-555.jpg

A

Adam Orange

Audiophyte
What is your definition of 'totally shot'? If it's relatively clean and generally intact, it could probably be made to work again. typically, it would need electrolytic capacitors. a grounded power cord, controls and switches cleaned and maybe a new dial string, but it should work. I seriously doubt you'll find a newer tuner that will work for this application but antique radio repair shops do exist. Tubes are a piece of cake to find.

The insides are gone. I threw them in the trash months ago. LOL

A

Adam Orange

Audiophyte
I'm not trying to make it look like the original radio. You won't see the insides.
The dials are spread over the face of the radio so I thought if I could get some dials that I could wire to some type of radio component it would be nice.

The addition of a bluetooth feature would be a bonus.

Hope this helps

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not trying to make it look like the original radio. You won't see the insides.
The dials are spread over the face of the radio so I thought if I could get some dials that I could wire to some type of radio component it would be nice.

The addition of a bluetooth feature would be a bonus.

Hope this helps
Sorry, ain't gonna happen. That's not the way these things work. You might be able to fit in a modern receiver in it's entirety but what you're asking for doesn't exist.

Last edited:
A

Adam Orange

Audiophyte
Sorry, ain't gonna happen. You might be able to fit in a modern receiver in it's entirety but what you're asking for doesn't exist.
Just because you don't know that it exists doesn't mean its not out there. Your negativity makes me work harder to prove it can be done.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You may be right. I've only been in this hobby since the early 60's. What do I know?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just because you don't know that it exists doesn't mean its not out there. Your negativity makes me work harder to prove it can be done.
Don't listen to MarkW. Everyone has a right to walk in their own path ...... laid with rakes.
and if you're feel really masochistic for verbal abuse ask TLSGuy for advice..... :rolleyes:

Another venue worth exploring would be audiokarma forums, where you'll get promptly knocked on the head for wanting to put bluetooth into vintage radio :p

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
When it's cooler to work in my garage I'll be doing the same with my family's old console radio from the late 30's. The insides vanished years ago.

I'll use a TPA3116 amp driving dual 8" full range speakers ( high Qts ) that are designed for open baffles ( old radio's were open backed ). Choices include Wild Burro Audio Lab Betsy's, Pioneer BoFu or the GRS clones from Parts Express. I'd use some vintage Zenith alnico FR's but they're 12 inches and two won't fit.

For the radio source I've got an Onkyo HD tuner that can be hidden behind the radio dial and controlled by a remote.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis