Building a "MID-FI" HI-FI Audiophile PC

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
It only stands to reason to explain the title of this thread before the flamers and lamers start chucking Molotov cocktails from their keyboards. Back in the days of "Vintage Audio" a gentleman by the name of Bob Carver created a series of amplifiers that were ahead of their time but were critiqued as "Mid Fi" by reviewers. I contend there's nothing wrong with my hearing even if I can't hear the difference between $100.00 and $1000.00 patch cords. I can still discern shine from shinola when I listen. In other words, I know what sounds good and sounds like crap. Most of us common folk... I'll call us the 99%'ers can't afford to throw cost no object cash at the latest greatest esoteric audio gear. In this writing, I'm going to detail my rebuild and upgrade of my old HTPC to be a purpose built "Mid-Fi" audio PC to my "Mid-Fi" stereo system. For reference on that stereo, It consists of a Carver MXR-130 Receiver upgraded internally to Audiophile components, a Carver C9 Sonic Hologram Generator, a set of JBL Studio 180 tower speakers and a Klipsch KW-100 Sub woofer. As most can see, a good system but budget conscious and if you ever heard it, very good sound. Good sound doesn't mean breaking the bank, it means good choices in equipment.

After reading countless articles on music players and the different ways that you can build them, I decided that my old HTPC would be a great donor with a few modifications and upgrades. Granted, the motherboard is old in this system but you can still get a upgrade in a CPU and Memory if you look around for cheap. Also, you'll see that I've thrown some extra cash at what I felt needed to be updated for the final result I'm searching for. That result being whisper quite and bit perfect music fed to the stereo.

Since the old HTPC is still running, though noisier due to fans beginning to show their age, I began the preparation steps. The motherboard in question is a Gigabyte GAMA78GPM-UD2H which supports the AMD AM2 and AM2+ processors. My first step was to update the BIOS to accommodate the change in processors from a Athlon 64 X2 4600+ to a four core AM2+ CPU. The processor that will be going in is a AMD Phenom X4 9350e. My choice in this CPU was it was the fastest CPU four core i could locate with a 65 watt rating. The processor it's replacing is a 89 watt processor. With two extra cores processing and less cooling demand I felt like the 50 bucks I bought the processor for was worth the upgrade. This could probably be overkill for this build as you'll see later considering the long term plans but can be kept cooler and quite with the proper components.
Replacing the Silverstone HTPC case it was in is the Thermaltake SD1. In reality, this case is NOT a small enclosure although touted as a mini tower for ITX and MATX motherboards. What it does offer is easier building, lots of cooling perforations along with a somewhat decent front view.
For cooling the Phenom CPU, a Noctura NH-L12 solution will be used. Memory will be upgraded to 4 gigs from the 2 gigs that were installed originally, mainly first because I don't see buying more than needed for this builds intended purpose and second, moving to Windows 7 from XP prefers the quantity be increased.
A new PSU will be going in. I chose the Seasonic 400 watt Fanless Platinum 80 plus. Many might have gone with a higher wattage PSU. If this were more computer than a media player, I might have too. Due to the fact that it will never see the internet, gaming, or a overload of cards hanging off the board... larger isn't needed. From the original HTPC, scrap the wireless net card, the M-Audio soundcard, and the ATI graphics card. I'll be using the built in graphics only, a optical drive, along with a external USB DAC to send the music to the stereo.

So far you begin to get a picture of what I'm doing. As they say, the devils in the details. Implementation and compromises will make or break the final result. Til now, without the standard step by step (plug this here, move this there)... this has been a standard build with insight into whats going into the box and why for the most part. In my next posts I'll detail SSD's and HHD's as the components come in and are installed along with a few pictures if there's a interest in seeing things come together.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This all seems pretty reasonable, and you already covered some of my key comments.

Fan noise could be a concern for a media PC. Seems like you covered some of that with the fanless P/S.

And, an external DAC is a good option. Personally, I prefer to use optical out off the mobo or off a cheap sound card, over using USB for this task. Using an internal soundcard would not be my choice here either.

Have you picked out your external DAC yet? Be careful because some DACs have limited capabilities over USB (ie "limited" to CD quality).

And.....Post some pics!!!

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
Fan noise was my biggest concern. The "holey" case I hope will help with that. I also plan to test the setup with the case fans disconnected to see where that puts me temperature wise and adjust only if forced to.

The optical I had on the HTPC to my Onk receiver from the M-Audio card. To the Carver, there is no optical input so I'm left with analog inputs. Since the DAC will be USB driven, it bypasses the internal soundcard completely. The software I'll be using will sidestep Windows playing with the 0's and 1's.

Finally, since this is in reality a "somewhat" budget build, I'll be using a Meridian Explorer USB DAC. Pictures will come soon as I start disassembling the HTPC and cleaning the components for the new case. At this time, I'm still waiting on the memory and CPU to arrive at the door.

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
This thread isn't dead. I'm waiting on two more items to arrive so I can finish the build.

In the meantime, I've been test fitting some of the system together checking for possible issues.

One issue, the main one is my cooling solution. First, I prefitted the CPU cooler to the motherboard. with the heatpipes turned to the ram, they touched and were slightly pushing the ram. This was totally unacceptable. Turning the cooler 180 degrees I had the fan overlapping the ram and the cooler wouldn't sit. To solve this problem, since the fans are attached by clips that run through the heatsink fins, I simply moved the lower fan over toward the heatpipes and made the necessary clearance.

The second issue with the cooler is height. The cooler manufacturer claims a 93mm height for the cooler with the top fan installed. The case manufacturer claims a max height of 90mm. Checking for myself, There is no spare room to run the cooler at full height. The upper fan has to go from the cooler. Even if it had fit in the space, the PSU would be blocking airflow from the top and would not allow cooling. I was aware of these limitations to begin with which is why i was replacing a higher watt cpu with a lower watt one for example. And where I was hoping to minimize the number of fans in the case, I saw where they were going to be necessary now. Because of this, part of the gear I'm waiting on are low noise fans for the case.

I'll say now that I never expected this to be a silent case. My hopes are to keep the unit quite enough at distance to not hear it across the room. Just how quite remains to be seen.

So anyway, I'm waiting on the fans and CPU. Everything else is here. By the end of the week the last should arrive and I'll be able to share the work and maybe begin to give a review with pictures.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
I thought about that. What I'm doing is most likely overkill for the intended purpose. I just hate seeing good hardware scrapped and would rather re purpose it. You could even say that I'm using it as a test bed for a rebuild of my HTPC with completely new components other than the Silverstone case which housed the donor parts.

I could have downgraded the CPU for a 35 watt unit which would have put it on a Intel Atom level, lessened the cooling problems and more. But I liked the idea of having the 4 cores for headroom with less of a thermal hit than what it replaced. Other than mild fan noise, that should be all that's heard from this build if even that.

In using Linux. I've never used the OS before. Nor have I ever used Apple hardware. On top of which, If I used Linux I have to add at least three more programs to get it to do whats needed. In my case, simple is better. Load the OS, load the media program. configure the settings and enjoy.

A SSD will hold the operating system and the media program. Music will be offloaded to memory from the other hard drives to play per the application so there won't be clicking and spool up heard from those. That only leaves the cooling system to tweak until I'm satisfied. I've been building my own for over 10 years now so I think I can throw enough money in the cooling one way or another to get it where it needs to be and be satisfied with the final result. After all, this is a hobby and I get as much enjoyment out of tinkering with the box as I do out of the music that will be pumped to the stereo.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My tower PC sits in my living room, right beside the entertainment center. It has 120mm fans front and rear, and I never hear those at all. For music, it's great.

For really graphics-heavy stuff, I can hear the fan on the graphics card spin up, however.

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
Well. In a way that's my point. IF I had a "real" listening room with acoustic improvements, I'd go for a dead silent system. As it is with the neighbors, their kids, vehicles and a next door business making noise for me, I can deal with a little. A little means very little though. And honestly, though the noise of a pc will filter into the overall music, it's not a big factor unless you're playing low level passages in music. Personally, my music styles are classic rock, jazz and blues. I'm not afraid of loud and proud with the volume levels at times. So tell me how you're going to hear a puny fan at concert level music? Even at mild background levels. The fact is, you can only get so quite with a fan based pc but if I can get it as low as my Shuttle shoebox, I'm in business.

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
And I should have answered my own question. Fan noise is bad mostly because we know it's there when we start a listening session. We psychologically predispose ourselves before the music starts.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
And I should have answered my own question. Fan noise is bad mostly because we know it's there when we start a listening session. We psychologically predispose ourselves before the music starts.
My original point was to get BIG fans. Larger fans move more air with fewer revolutions, thus they tend to run quieter.

Yeah, on a similar note, I prefer to be able to turn off my source and crank the gains up to 100% on amps and pre-amps and put my ear right on the tweeter and hear dead silence. Sometimes I can't quite achieve that, and even at normal gain settings it is silent, but I still don't like it.

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
My original point was to get BIG fans. Larger fans move more air with fewer revolutions, thus they tend to run quieter.

Yeah, on a similar note, I prefer to be able to turn off my source and crank the gains up to 100% on amps and pre-amps and put my ear right on the tweeter and hear dead silence. Sometimes I can't quite achieve that, and even at normal gain settings it is silent, but I still don't like it.

I understood the big fans. This case, I could do that but in so doing I lose my optical drive bay. Not that I really need it but it's nice to be able to rip a disk on odd occasions. I ordered Noctua fans to replace the stock case fans. Two 60mm and a 90mm. I'm going to attempt to run ALL of the fans on the low noise power adapters included with them. Push come to shove, I'll pull the adapter off the CPU fan and see where that sets me. Last case scenario, I'll change out the CPU cooler. The Noctua is rated at one of the 5 best, the top of that pile is the Zalman. I like the Zalman but have owned them before and the fans don't last for long in my experience.

And... I'm still laughing at your second retort.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I applaud OPs efforts. His goals remind me then i was building my custom nas box.
My weapons of choice were intel low power T series cpu. Don't remember the model but its i3 something. Stock cpu fan.
Definitive technology silent case. Antec green power psu. Additional 120mm antec fan. All fans set to low speed in bios. 6 wd av (aka green) drives and result is silent from 2ft.

My htpc is is atom 2.1ghz backed by geforce gpu (on board).
I have no problems playing 1080p video and hd audio pass through. Nas is running straight Ubuntu server and htpc is running openelec. If you have not tried openelec yet - do it asap. You won't regret

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
I looked over openelec. I find it very interesting. There's still the matter of building another HTPC to replace the donor for this build. I'm looking at mini ITX and thinking openelec could find a way into it.

My merchant that I bought my fans from decided to place "signature required" on the Package. If I have any problems at all, it's with trying to get my packages from UPS. Rather than this dog chasing it's tail after a couple of failed delivery's and a failed pickup attempt at the service center, I contacted the seller that I was refusing shipment and having it returned to buy elsewhere. I mean... 3 fans and a signature? Admittedly, my patience isn't the best with the cable company and the big brown truck people. :mad:

I am still waiting on the processor however so it's not like I'm being held up by the fans. Since the case has fully removable trays to build on, Most of this box is built and only waiting on the missing items. I'll attempt to get some pictures today of the partial build after finally getting a couple of days off from work.

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
Forgive the wiring in it's post finished state. I promise there will be no birds in nests there once completed.

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
So the fans are in and installed. No big brown truck this time. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the processor. Due to other problems that arose, I was forced to purchase another processor. This time I did a bit more research and found one better for my needs. A Athlon II x4 610e 45 watt processor will be going in and should be here Monday.

I'm posting more pictures. Before anyone asks, there are 3 fans on the computers rear, however, I will not be using all three. These are mounted to simplify switching between the fans to find the best cooling configuration for this box. Whatever is not used will be disconnected and serve as spares in case of future fan problems.

Also, you'll probably notice the odd contraption mounted below the Blue Ray player. That is vintage computer audio in the form of a radio and graphic equalizer. Manufacturer specs on that item give it a 107 SNR. So why add this in when the Carver has one of the best tuners in a receiver? Because I'm seeing if it still works and can be ported over to the other HTPC build. It can also function independent of the computer being turned on.

Img_0341.jpg
Img_0341.jpg
Img_0342.jpg
Img_0343.jpg
Img_0344.jpg
Img_0345.jpg

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
Ok, so the processor came in Saturday rather than yesterday. I pushed the build along putting that in, setting the cooling system, installing Windows 7, updating the OS and adding the latest drivers through "Slimdrivers free version.". Yes, I will plug some of the software I use here to get the box up and running.

You know, A computer is only a tool. I've detailed a lot of what I'm doing but any computer could be used for this simple purpose. My intent here was simply to quite it and give it more than enough power to handle the task of a audiophile music player flawlessly. As it goes, the fans in the computer... I used Noctua exclusively. Three 60mm fans in the rear, a 92mm up front, plus the single underhung fan on the Noctua CPU cooler. All of these except the CPU fan are using the reduced noise adapter which sets the fans running at 7 volts. With everything running and stressing the system with Prime 95, it's whisper quite. The media storage drives are louder than the fans, much louder. Under stress with the program mentioned, temperatures are in the mid 30's. Under normal use, I haven't seen above 28 degrees centigrade. With it whisper quite and these temps, I have no reason to change the cooling configuration, though I could, from it's current setup. For reference, I'm using Core Temp as the monitoring software.

What makes or breaks the intended goals here is the media software and the output of the system to the stereo. In this regard, I used JRiver and the setup blog from Assassin HTPC to configure the outputs. A bit perfect output to the Meridian Explorer DAC. I also swapped out the ported Klipsch subwoofer for my DIY Rythmic Audio 12" sub I built some years back for what should be obvious reasons giving I'm looking for quality of sound.

On my first listen, I opted for something I knew well musically. Unlike most people, I went to poorly recorded music. My thinking on this is where on well recorded music, you look for minor differences and nuances. In poorly recorded music, the differences are immediate and pronounced. I'm happy to say that this system put a smile on my face from recordings such as the band Nantucket. From there, I went to the better tracks. As I've stated before, my tastes run in the Classic Rock and Jazz styles along with some Easy Listening. The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Pat Benatar, and whatever else struck my fancy went to cue. My overall impressions are that in most cases, the highs were crystalline, the bass had the authority to make you feel the music. Vocals were well defined and fluent and the musical content seemed like a aura around the vocals. I might add that during the audition, I kept the Bass, Midrange and Treble controls centered and no loudness compensation added. It did take some time to get the Subwoofer balanced so it extended the music rather than stood out past the content being played.

The real question to all of this madness is was it worth the time and expense for my final result? In my opinion, absolutely. This was a great repurpose of a old computer and though could have been done much cheaper without upgrades, it met all my criteria for it's intended purpose. The sound is equal to or beyond most systems I've listened to in recent years. If there's a improvement to be made in my opinion, it's in room treatment and a more costly DAC. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the system's sound through the current equipment.

Granted, my tastes aren't everyones, but if you have a decent sound system you're happy with, using a older computer with a decent DAC and lossless files streamed through it seems a great alternative to upgrade the performance to the next level. You only need to do it to prove it to yourself. You might even find that a upgrade in stereo and speakers aren't even necessary, or at the least, you know exactly where the weak points of your equipment are Nuff said.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis