Building a media room

L

LIVINGSTON

Audiophyte
I am planning to build a media room [home theatre] in ½ of my garage.

I have room for up to 15 x 9 size.

Due to the garage door tracks the ceiling would have to go from 8' to 7' at the rear or 7' for the entire room. I am leaning toward the sloping ceiling.

How will that effect the acoustics?

The 2nd question is should I use the concrete block wall on one side of the room or put up a Sheetrock [quiet rock or similar product] wall to match the wall on the other side.

How will leaving the concrete block wall uncovered effect acoustics?

H

HorrorFan33

Enthusiast
I have block walls as well, but I framed them out and hung drywall...I also took the tracks down, so I wouldn't have to worry about them getting in the way and they are easy to put back up, if I need to...I think your best bet is to frame it out, so you can add some insulation, which is for a lot better for sound purposes and you can your wiring behind the walls for a nice clean look!!...If you keep the block walls, you will most likely have an echo sound.
I'm no expert, but I have been down the same road as you :) I', done with mine yet, but you can check out my garage build so far right here..
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/pros-joes-systems-gallery/85940-horrorfans-garage-conversion.html

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Are you leaving the garage door and refinishing the outside of the house, or is this just a make shift room.. I suggest just building a 2x3 wall, throwing up some sheet rock, paint the cement and go from there if its just a make shift room, spend as little as possible, you will enjoy it just the same... Now if you are pulling permits and doing a mjor remodel then yes, acoustic panels, and insulation would be a great idea..
I tend to take theater sound much less serious then music listening, to me as long as there is enough bass, the fronts are not fatiguing and sound terrible, and it is properly tuned and balanced, the movie will be easy to get in to... What you describe doesn't sound like any huge issues to me, build it and enjoy it... Someone on her just did a nice garage theater {I believe his name was "horrormovie" or something like that, the room looked great, should be within the last couple days if you do a search...

good luck, and dont forget to post some pictures and more questions when you are picking gear...

PS welcome to audioholics

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis