Building a Dream Home Theater - Advice Requested

H

hhg

Audiophyte
Hi All - I am helping a friend decide their equipment for their home theater.

The home his over 10,000 square feet. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the theater.

The budget for the theater is about 30K - What are the must haves for this dream theater?

I'm thinking:

Projector: Sony 350ES
Receiver: Denon 7200WA
Speakers: Definitive Tech
Screen: Black Diamond 120"

Appreciate any input you all can provide.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi All - I am helping a friend decide their equipment for their home theater.

The home his over 10,000 square feet. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the theater.

The budget for the theater is about 30K - What are the must haves for this dream theater?

I'm thinking:

Projector: Sony 350ES
Receiver: Denon 7200WA
Speakers: Definitive Tech
Screen: Black Diamond 120"

Appreciate any input you all can provide.
I would also suggest at least 2 great subs, a 7. 1 system if room is big enough.
And, prewire for other possibilities even though right now it is not considered, like speakers in ceiling for Atmos and the DTS equivalent.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Is that $30K on electronics or the entire room, lol..

we need to know what the 30K buys, since its a 10K sq foot home, I will guess, speakers and electronics, Screen and projector will be extra, lol..

4 vtf 15h subwoofers.. $4K

have sound scape 8's made with a matching center and pair of surrounds maybe like $17K if you are nice when you ask...

Then to power it I say 3 XPA3's for the front and a pair of xpa100s for the surrounds, just because.. $3300 again call and ask nice...

For a preamp I would just buy a decent denon current model with the options they want... $900

with wires and a panel that should get the job done for under $30K and sound awesome...

good luck, lol...

PS my best advice would be for them to call a professional that is local to the area they are going to be building this house, I have built a couple houses in that size range and I have installed hvac in more than a few of them, I can tell you people who build 10K sq foot homes, just hire the hi fi guy and write a check, they don't go to best buy...

do the math 10K sq foot hoomes average $315 a sq foot is over 3 million dollars!!!! These people hire guys to deal with this stuff, lol...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
That projector consumes a third of your budget. Add to that, ANY Def Tech speakers will be quite sub-par for a dedicated Home Theater.

If you've got this kind of money to throw around, STOP.

1) Educate yourself on some principle theories and hear as many rooms and speakers as you can before you spend a dime! (Choosing equipment before you understand the physical needs of the room/equipment is a guaranteed path to buyers remorse)

2) Pay a pro installer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My custom house will be about 6,400 SF and my theater will be about 616 SF (22x28x15). So I am guessing his 10,000 SF house will have a 862 SF theater (25.2' x 34.2' x 18' ceiling). :D

Louden Room Ratio is 1:1.4:1.9

Ceiling 16': 22.4' x 30.4' x 16' ceiling (681 SF)
Ceiling 17': 23.8' x 32.3' x 17' ceiling (769 SF)
Ceiling 18': 25.2' x 34.2' x 18' ceiling (862 SF)

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not near enough information to provide any credible input, especially with a 30K budget.

• Sony's 4k Projector is nice, but it's not HDR, so you would be spending a lot of money on a already outdated projector.
  • We need to know room size and not guess, rooms size will greatly effect the costs of equipment/sound treatments etc. that will directly impact your budget
As everyone has alluded to, you should really contact a professional audio installer and get a couple of proposals, then, come back and post on what they are suggesting. You have a lot of people on this site that can really provide some intelligent input and help you and your friend get the setup you want, but not with very limited information you are providing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis