Building a cnc machine to make speakers....

ToddMorrill

ToddMorrill

Audioholic Intern
Anyone ever built speakers with a CNC is this done? I live in south america, and there are like no speakers here. I am reallly impressed with the depth of plans on this forum, and I also own a makers space. I was thinking of investing a couple thousand dollars and building a CNC machine to cut 1inch MDF.

Has this been done on here? Tips? Blueprint link for a good CNC with this purpose :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You can make your own CNC. We made one using a mechanism using 80/20 (trademark/brandname) extruded aluminum structure. But you do understand that you would need the programming software and commiserate training curve as well (I ask, because if you already knew the software, you would likely have a CNC machine already).

Unless you are planning to go into production, I agree with Warrior, it is far easier to develop templates and jigs for giving you the required precision. This is true even for low volume production.

PS - I have yet to find the CAD-CAM software that does not require occasional manual coding to avoid singularities, but my experience is with 5D systems and they may do fine with 3D systems like you would need.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Unless you are planning to go into production, I agree with Warrior, it is far easier to develop templates and jigs for giving you the required precision. This is true even for low volume production.
I have access to a massive 4'x8' CNC Router. But having used it professionally, the set up takes forever. You need to create a cut file, and then hope you align your substrate perfectly on X and Y axis. And then be sure you measure the Z access correctly so that you can flush mount the drivers.

The time spent doing that for ONE pair of speakers, is actually greater than a circle cut jig you could buy for $20.

ToddMorrill

ToddMorrill

Audioholic Intern
Ok good to know so even if I already had the machine it wouldn t be worth setting it up for 2 speakers... better off just using hte jigs... thanks.

J

johngalt47

Enthusiast
Yes, I bought a CNC machine about a year and a half ago to make speakers. It is a Probotix Fireball Meteor. I wanted a turnkey system so I could get right to work without having to build the machine from scratch. It was pretty expensive and in retrospect I'm not sure it was worth it. However, I am able to build speakers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I suggest getting a table saw and router instead. You can always make your own jigs for the router.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you just want to build a pair or a few pairs of speakers, then I agree with the others, CNC doesn't make sense.

But, if you want to produce many speakers or if you have other hobbies that would use the CNC machine, then it might make sense.

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
A few years ago I took some speaker plans to a cabinet shop that had a CNC machine. I supplied the material and they made all the cuts for me for a reasonable fee. Took the flat packs home and glued them up.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I actually own a custom millwork shop with a CNC. I did cut parts for a custom sub for a guy. The parts turned out pretty nice so it can be done. For only a couple of parts, you are best getting a saw and a router. Or find a guy like me to program and cut the parts for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis