Building a center speaker

P

philipd

Audiophyte
I'm planning to build a center speaker for my surround system just for something to do and being a beginner, I have already run into the 4ohm, 8 ohm problem.

I want to use two woofers and a tweeter so I just found a source and thought I'd buy them, with a two way crossover, but when connecting the two woofers I learned that it wouldn't really work correctly. The idea is to run two 4 ohm woofers and keep the 8 ohm tweeter I guess.

Is there a way to keep the 8 ohm speakers I originally intended to use or do I have to use the two 4 ohm speakers in line?
Any help is appreciated.

G

gotchaforce

Junior Audioholic
To be rude: you dont have enough knowledge to design your own center channel. Meaning engineer a crossover. Youre in way over your head, i was in the same position and the knowledge needed to design a crossover is immense. I use miniDSP as an active crossover for all DIY speakers now.

If you want to build one then build this

Statements_Center_Channel

or build one of zaph audios designs

or look around here

HTGuide Forum - Missions Accomplished!

P

philipd

Audiophyte
I wasn't very clear I guess. I'm buying the crossover (Dayton) and the speakers from parts express. The only thing I am building is the box. I just wanted someone to explain to me why it's not a good idea to put two 8 ohm speakers connected together in that particular center channel speaker.

P

philipd

Audiophyte
Thank you both... I know you must go thru this every month, that's the beauty of DIY and the help nubies need offered by those that already know.

The "boxless" kit is a great idea but would it make a good center speaker? I still like the pair of 5" woofers and one tweeter as opposed to one of each.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you both... I know you must go thru this every month, that's the beauty of DIY and the help nubies need offered by those that already know.

The "boxless" kit is a great idea but would it make a good center speaker? I still like the pair of 5" woofers and one tweeter as opposed to one of each.
if possible look for a well designed Woofer -TM- Woofer or W - Coax - W 3-way design rather than an MTM.

Here is one such example:

Statements_Center_Channel

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis