Building 5.1 theater in small living room - need AV Receiver advice...

T

twochordcool

Junior Audioholic
Hello everybody. A few questions about AV Receivers...

I'm building a 5.1 home theater in a small living room around 5 separate B&W DM602 S3 bookshelf loudspeakers. (Every position will have the exact same speaker, including the center channel)

My question is mainly about AV receivers...

If I'm going to do a 5.1 setup is there still advantages of purchasing a 7.1 / 9.1 capable AV receiver?

I don't see myself expanding to more speakers but I'm just wondering if I can get a superior AV receiver if I purchase one that is 7.1 or 9.1 capable...

Or should I simply get one that is only 5.1 capable?

They seem inexpensive, and I'm wondering if that translates to "not as good".

I decided to keep my Rotel RA-1062 integrated amp for better sound with music, so I will need a receiver with left and right pre-outs to hook up to the Rotel integrated, which will drive the left and right speakers for movies also.

Specific AV receiver recommendations would be great too.

I'm willing to go as high as $1500 if I will get something fantastic - otherwise I'd be happier in the $1000 range.

Thanks everyone.

:)

Oh, and simple to use and a lack of unnecessary bells and whistles would be great.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
The reason to buy a receiver that is more than 5.1 is because it will have more features, better build quality, and higher power. This is because a 5.1 model is now going to be the bottom or near the bottom of the line.

All surround receivers these days are complicated and troublesome to set up (if you are not used to them).

Right now, I would probably go with this for $1000:

Crutchfield

Amazon

Yamaha Shop Online 9.2-Channel AVENTAGE Network AV Receiver

Here is a review:

Yamaha RX-A2020 AVENTAGE 9.2 Networking A/V Receiver Review | Audioholics

It is recently discontinued, which is why it is that price. It was the second to top of the line for Yamaha at the beginning of the year, but has been replaced by the RX-A2030.

For $1500, you could go with the RX-A3020, but I doubt that that would be enough better to justify the 50% increase in price. The RX-A2020 is a very good value right now.

Judging from online complaints of various brands, Yamaha seems to be one of the most reliable brands you can get. This is the one I would get at the $1000 price point right now.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Like Phyrro said, 5.1 receivers are the bottom end and I can't think of any 5.1 receiver that will have pre-outs. Also, while the 602 are not extremely difficult to drive, they can use a robust amplifier. See these measurements, http://www.soundandvision.com/content/bw-dm-602-series-3-surround-speaker-system-measurements

If you don't mind refurb, Accessories 4 Less has the Onkyo NR1010 for $1050 and it is rated for 4 ohm loads.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR1010/ONKYO-TX-NR1010-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis