Build a rack... CHEAP!

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
I needed a black studio type rack for some gear I aquired lately. Just spent $600 so I resigned myself to waiting for the next paycheck.

I walked into Walmart today and there came the epiphiny.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=4529471&sourceid=0100000030660804902498

A $20 TV cart! Measures in Inches (L x W x H): 23.5 x 15.5 x 20.9 I cut the top and bottom to the same dimensions as the sides on a table saw to make it square. Stand it up on the side and you got a rack case. I just screwed the amps into the wood and bought some castors from Walmart. ( The castors that come with it suck )

Its very strong, looks great and cost about $30 total! The right side isn't finished in black but that doesn't matter to me as you can't see it in my case. Guess I could always paint it later. Also the rack stuff is about an 1/8th inch too big on each side but who cares? I am very happy as I was planning on spending about $170 without castors for probably the same thing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It isn't necessity, it is CHEAPNESS that is the mother of invention :D Good work :)

majorloser

majorloser

vlad335 said:
I walked into Walmart today and there came the epiphiny.
I went to Walmart the other day and the only that came over me required a quick run to the restroom :eek:

(thank goodness the toilet paper roll had been replaced)

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
This is a good idea! I used a cheapo rack with the bottom removed to add shelves to a couple of junky dressers I bought for $25 bucks from a neighbor who's dad owned a motel that was being torn down. He had a whole garage full of it. I did it again to make more shelves later. The first one just was "retired" to Goodwilll at about age 20, and the other is sitting about 3 feet from me, with all my ham radio stuff in it.

Can't beat junk furniture for value if it works.

Big Lots and some other places on line have some really great deals on racks and shelves and stuff sometimes for insanely great prices. I got 3 pretty nice CD/DVD racks, shipped and everything, for less than $80 bucks. Gave one to my sister, with a few DVD's for Xmas, kept the other two. The cheapest I ever saw them in a store was $59.95 EACH.

My audio rack is from Big Lots, was over $50 cheaper than anywhere on line or local. Only problem with it was a stripped "speed nut", and a missing rubber cushion. Sure it's Chinese Junk, but it does the job, and looks pretty expensive.

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
Thanks people.

I did searches on the net about building your own rack and couldn't really find anything. I looked around Lowes searching for Black MDF and they just had white so I went over to Walmart to see if they had black shelving...

I forgot to mention I strenghened the cab a bit using 2 inch drywall screws.
(Pre drilled) The fasteners that come with it are pretty crappy. Used the same screws to attach the rack components as well.

Its built like a tank and I am very happy with it regardless of the price. I hope this helps someone.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Looks very nice. Who says you've gotta spend a lot of money?:D

R

redman_43

Junior Audioholic
Nice work.

I was just thinking more or less the same thing but going completely homebuilt. I'm going to need something that will house the cheap Panasonic shelf system, DVD player, cable box, vcr, and possibly the XBOX and PS2. I think I'll draw up some plans and go to Home Depot to see what the damage will be. Maybe some adjustable shelves in there too for when I get the real system in the next year or so. Can't forget about some kind of wire management in there as well.

L

lancer1558

Audiophyte
Vlad, a great job. What depth were the shelves? I am looking for a small rack and it looks like this one from Walmart fits the bill.
Thanks,
Gary

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
lancer1558 said:
Vlad, a great job. What depth were the shelves? I am looking for a small rack and it looks like this one from Walmart fits the bill.
Thanks,
Gary
Measures 13.5" deep.:D

R

rampage60

Audiophyte
Walmart online has several racks but you can only order them online.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis