M

mx416

Audioholic
hi folks-

Looking for some help for a set up that a friend has:

3 8" in-ceiling speakers in doors
3 8" in ceiling speakers outdoors.

The indoors are each controlled by their own volume knob in that specific room.
Previously he had a jamo 101 2x50w for the indoors and a jamo 201 2x100w for the outdoors.
Both sets will be sourced Rca from the zone 2 of his onkyo 5.1 receiver

I considered audio source and outdoor speaker depot amps but have heard conflicting reports about quality.

Budget is 400$ total.

Any help on two 2 channel amps or a different option would be a great help.

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What happened to the Jamo amps? How were the Jamo amps incorporated/controlled before? Is the Onkyo avr a new addition or something? What are the specs for the speakers he's using? Is each speaker playing mono?

M

mx416

Audioholic
Jamo amps stopped working.

Old setup was
Onkyo zone 2 out
V
Rca
V
Rca splitter
V
Jamo101 & jamo 102
V. V.
3 speakers. Russound selector
V
Outside speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gotcha, altho not sure how you wired 6 speakers to 2 x 2ch amps? What are the specs of the speakers as far as impedance and sensitivity? Will these need to be played for background music at moderate levels or? You might be able to use something as simple as some Lepai T-amps or D-amps from parts-express.com. What did you get concerned about for the other amps? Which models were you looking at?

M

mx416

Audioholic
The indoor speakers are for back ground level. Those 3 speakers were wired directly(parallel) to the 2x50 amp. I am concerned that is the reason it blew. To low ohms.

The jamo 2x100 feed a russound impedance matching 2x4 speaker selector than ran out to the three outdoor speakers. The outdoor speakers need to be played at moderate volumes at times.

All speakers are MTX brand 8 ohms. Still trying to hunt down the specific model

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Both sets will be sourced Rca from the zone 2 of his onkyo 5.1 receiver
Why? Is he using the Onkyo main zone outputs for something else?
You know he could simply use the Onkyo main zone for the 3 speakers inside and zone-2 for the two speakers outside. Or he could use the Onkyo main zone for the 3 speakers inside and the 2 speakers outside. Just wondering why he only uses Zone-2.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think hooking up 3 speakers to 2 channels is a BAD idea. And likely killed the previous amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, why would keeping gain at mid-way on the dial do anything in particular as far as protection goes? As long as a noisy fan isn't an issue, this amp may still work well especially with lower impedance loads but so would a Crown XLS1002 with quiet running fans.

Nothing particularly wrong with these amps as long as you keep the impedance load in their range. Still need to know how they were wired and what the specs of the speakers actually are as likely that was the root of the problem to begin with.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The speaker selector has protection, it's just not needed at full gain for background music that's all. It can ran full, but I'd prefer just a little more assurance for accidents. Crown would work fine as well. I've used the crown with an OSD 2 zone / 8 speaker selector at neighbors house and the only issue ever was the farthest run be slightly lower volume when all were on

Curious, why would keeping gain at mid-way on the dial do anything in particular as far as protection goes? As long as a noisy fan isn't an issue, this amp may still work well especially with lower impedance loads but so would a Crown XLS1002 with quiet running fans.

Nothing particularly wrong with these amps as long as you keep the impedance load in their range. Still need to know how they were wired and what the specs of the speakers actually are as likely that was the root of the problem to begin with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd still think the amp runs at full power but keeping signal low may help, depending on the output level of his avr's pre-outs. Better to address the particulars of the speakers and wiring first.....

M

mx416

Audioholic
The speakers are 8" 2way 8ohm 65watt rms

The speakers are wired as stated below

"The indoor speakers are for back ground level. Those 3 speakers were wired directly(parallel) to the 2x50 amp. I am concerned that is the reason it blew. To low ohms.

The jamo 2x100 feed a russound impedance matching 2x4 speaker selector than ran out to the three outdoor speakers. The outdoor speakers need to be played at moderate volumes at times. "

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speakers are 8" 2way 8ohm 65watt rms

The speakers are wired as stated below

"The indoor speakers are for back ground level. Those 3 speakers were wired directly(parallel) to the 2x50 amp. I am concerned that is the reason it blew. To low ohms.

The jamo 2x100 feed a russound impedance matching 2x4 speaker selector than ran out to the three outdoor speakers. The outdoor speakers need to be played at moderate volumes at times. "
Sorry missed the parallel part first time around....no model number to check speaker specs? 8 ohm sometimes turns into more like 6 or 4 ohm once you check things out...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry missed the parallel part first time around....no model number to check speaker specs? 8 ohm sometimes turns into more like 6 or 4 ohm once you check things out...
I still don't quite understand how you hook up "3 speakers to 2 channels in parallel"

All 3 speakers in parallel to 1 channel?

Or 2 in parallel on 1 channel, then 1 by itself on the other channel?

Or some other silly combination (asking to fry an amp).

At this point, it seems like the way the speakers were connected fried the original amps. I think that needs to change or it will fry the next amps too.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Slipperybidness- Yes the indoor speakers were connected to 1 channel. The amp was bridged. i agree that's what fried it.

The outdoor speakers however were ran to a impedance matching speaker selector. So I can't quite figure out why that amp blew.

Finally found the speaker type. Looks like I was off with the rms

MTX CT825C

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I still don't quite understand how you hook up "3 speakers to 2 channels in parallel"

All 3 speakers in parallel to 1 channel?

Or 2 in parallel on 1 channel, then 1 by itself on the other channel?

Or some other silly combination (asking to fry an amp).

At this point, it seems like the way the speakers were connected fried the original amps. I think that needs to change or it will fry the next amps too.
I was just wondering about that....was assuming 1 ch but not bridged....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis