Budget receiver for driving two pairs speakers

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am looking for the least expensive receiver capable of driving 4 typical speakers.
Right now, he has a pair of Yamaha BS speakers and a pair of Radio Shack mini speakers (on his "rocking porch").
This guy is not into audio, but he is tired of replacing his low end stereo receivers.
Obviously, a 5 to 9 channel receiver would do much better, but I know he would not like the added complexity of the HT settings. Forget about any features like Audyssey!
So, my questions are:
1) Is there an inexpensive receiver capable of driving 4 speakers without getting into HT?
2) If not, what is an inexpensive minimalist AVR to get?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Is he playing stereo? What are his inputs {cd player/ipod}? them 4 speakers are 8 ohm each? How loud does he play them?

I would look into an apa150 and run the speakers off the 2 channels {just plug 2 speakers into each channel} the apa150 is 4 ohm stable when not bridged, so it will push them easily.... They are onsale rite now at PE for $128... has a volume control and has rca inputs... You will not hurt that amp, thats for sure, I have a few and punish them with no fallout..

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I am looking for the least expensive receiver capable of driving 4 typical speakers.
Right now, he has a pair of Yamaha BS speakers and a pair of Radio Shack mini speakers (on his "rocking porch").
This guy is not into audio, but he is tired of replacing his low end stereo receivers.
Obviously, a 5 to 9 channel receiver would do much better, but I know he would not like the added complexity of the HT settings. Forget about any features like Audyssey!
So, my questions are:
1) Is there an inexpensive receiver capable of driving 4 speakers without getting into HT?
What's cheap?

DENON AVR-1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready | Accessories4less

DENON AVR-1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready | Accessories4less

DENON AVR-1712 7.1 A/V Surround Receiver | Accessories4less

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
ImcLoud,
I don't know what the specific speakers he has are. He is liable to swap one or both pairs down the road (the Yamahas were looking ratty and teh outdoor ones won't last terribly long.
The APA-150 is a good suggestion, but he uses the tuner section of the receiver fairly often.
Thanks!

Under $150 is gold. It is a shame there are no stereo receiver with discrete A&B amps. For about the same price as the Denons.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If high volume isn't an issue, ANYTHING will run 4 speakers hooked up in series.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So, my questions are:
Would he consider used?

For example, my 3805 is 7 to 8 years old now and I am using it for Stereo, usually select direct or pure direct so there are no surround settings to worry about. It still sounds as good as my separate systems. Below is an example of what's out there.

DENON AVR-3805, 7.1 CHANNEL A/V SURROUND SOUND RECEIVER STEREO -GREAT SOUND | eBay

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If he needs a tuner get a marine radio and put it in a wood box with a 12v power supply, it will run all 4 speakers and have a tuner and remote...

Amazon.com: PYLE PLMRCW3 White Water Resistant Stereo Housing with Full Chassis Wired Casing: GPS & Navigation

Amazon.com: Dual XD5250 In-Dash CD/CD-RW Car Stereo Receiver with Remote and Front Panel USB Charging Port and Aux Input: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Pyramid PS14KX 14 Amp Power Supply: Electronics

Amazon.com: Dual Electronics MAW40 Car/Marine Wire Antenna: Electronics

That would be a good start but you get the idea.. easily run 4 speakers and you can control the fade and balance...

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The cheapest quality product I could find is Harman Kardon HK 3390 for $245 shipped.

Perhaps an older HK stereo receiver from Craigslist or eBay will be in the budget?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think one of the Accessories4Less $140 refurbed Denon AVRs is the way to go.

The ebay price looked good, but they want $130 for shipping! I'll take A4L with their CS and guarantee.

I hadn't considered using "pure direct" as a means to keep things simple. That does help!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis