budget buyers remorse

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They don't give you enough info to really determine sound quality. However, the OP just need realize he has a very low budget. A good sub, could be had for around ~$500. An excellent sub--a world class sub, can be had for ~$1300 with/box and possibly the best sub ever made can be had for $2-3 thousand dollars w/box

He isn't going to be getting world class performance, but based off of reviews the sub sounds decent. The shipping is only $15. If the OP isn't pleased with the performance, he can always send it back for a full refund (minus the $30 for shipping.)
I for sure know he has a low budget - and he for sure can buy it
if he wants - however, that does not change my view. > For him,
it may float the boat.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I liked the look of the flat pack boxes. I think I could pull that off. What about the sub and amp? Any suggestions? I've looked at em but I really don't know what any of the stuff I'm looking at means. I have tried to look at some of the other forums and threads but there is so much unfamiliar territory to wade through...
It was tough at the beginning trying to learn all sorts of concepts. The amount I've learned in a year is incredible. A year ago, I didn't know what a tweeter was. :O In fact, a year ago I didn't know a subwoofer was considered a speaker. LOL

Anyway, the problem with the Flat Packs is they are made for specific drivers (subwoofers). The drivers represent an excellent value, but they are too expensive for your budget. The driver is ~$150, and the box is ~$50. That leaves only $50 for a 500watt amp (the driver needs a good amount of power).

Let me search for some different boxes that will accommodate a cheaper driver.

Also, if you have a local cabinet shop, you could ask for a quote for a few boxes. Let me find a moderately priced driver and model it, and we'll see how big the box will need to be.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know a couple of people who use their sub for HT and turn it off for music. One of them is a low end sub. The other is a decent mid-range sub , but he did not want to bother with set up and had predetermined where the sub would go without concern for optimal placement.
Since you are 70% HT/30% music and have a limited budget for the sub, you should experiment with whether the sub adds or detracts from the sound quality when playing music.
A good sub definitely sounds better for HT than a poor sub, but in my experience, any sub beats no sub for watching normal HT content.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Anything else 280 and under that would be better?
Even the Bic's and the Polk PSW505 drop off around that
frequency range - that is average around that price point.
I will take the Cadence over Bic and Polk

You will get some hard impact around 50 hz - which is
where a lot of action is.

If the Energy S10.3 was still around at close-out pricing,
that would be my recommendation.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Even the Bic's and the Polk PSW505 drop off around that
frequency range - that is average around that price point.
It appears to be. Even the budget drivers at PE don't go down very low...at least not in a sealed enclosure.

I will take the Cadence over Bic and Polk
Me too!

If the Energy S10.3 was still around at close-out pricing,
that would be my recommendation.
Energy S10.3 Powered Subwoofer Black 200 wt conti. 800 watt peak MINT 629303108215 | eBay

P

palleon

Enthusiast
I pulled the trigger on the Cadence. Wife said "Merry Christmas."

Only one problem: the price isn't including shipping. :eek:
Actually it did. The didn't advertise it but at checkout there was a free shipping option.

From reading reviews all over these forums and talking to you guys this seemed like the best value for me. Coming from where I am with nothing I think I will be more than satisfied.

You guys are saints to put up with all the questions asking the same stuff over and over. Thank you all for your comments and help.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I pulled the trigger on the Cadence. Wife said "Merry Christmas."
WINNING! :D

Actually it did. The didn't advertise it but at checkout there was a free shipping option.
I stand corrected.

You guys are saints to put up with all the questions asking the same stuff over and over. Thank you all for your comments and help.
The questions I had when starting out were FAR more ridiculous.

Don't mention it! Enjoy your setup! :D

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post! You are also more than welcome to PM me.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
That was measured to reach 25 hz at 104 db, in a 7,500 cubic ft room.
WOW. I wish more companies would post driver specs. That sounds like a sweet sub for the money, but I wouldn't have known that based on the specs they published. :(

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Exclusive Ultra-13 Driver – Brutal Output and Subtle Nuance
An SVS-exclusive design, the Ultra-13 driver utilizes the highest quality components, custom-tooled parts, and innovative technologies to deliver an unparalleled combination of extreme output, ultra-low distortion, and exceptional linearity.

Click on any photo to see a full, detailed image:

Expensive Finite Element Analysis (FEA)-optimized underhung motor technology for exceptionally low distortion.
Multi-layer flat-wound voice coil for ultra-high power handling.
Dual linear-roll spiders and stitched parabolic surround for extreme excursion capability.
Ultra-light and rigid Rohacell composite cone provides excellent transient response.
If more companies did this, I'd be much more inclined to recommend their products. OTOH, most subs don't look like that!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis