Budget bookshelf speakers + decent amp.

S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm looking out to buy my first set up.
Being a student, my room is not that big and I don't have space for big speakers so I was thinking of buying good bookshelf speakers.
Don't have any money to go for a decent 5,1 setup so I think this is the way to go.

I will connect a Pioneer cd/dvd player, technics sl1200, and my samsung led TV.

I can buy a YAMAHA RX396 amp from a friend for 75$ so that's a bargain I guess or should I consider something else?

I was looking at the KLIPSCH Synergy B20's (they are 25% cheaper on amazon germany if I compare to amazon usa?!) They would cost around $200 here.
JAMO maybe,
or Behringer as I'm in Europe I can buy at good prices from Germany.
Behringer B2030P? They are described as monitors, does it make any difference?

Pioneer SP-BS41-LR is not available in Europe unfortunately...

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would look at Behringer, see what prices you can get on the Truth series. If you are using a sub, look at the 2030p, but if this system is subless, try to swing for the 2031p. The 2031p is pretty large and heavy for a bookshelf speaker, but it has solid bass down to the 50 hz range, it is a terrific speaker.

S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
2030's are a fair bit cheaper though.

Also the 2031's are active speakers? What difference does this make?
I won't be using a sub for now (I ve done some research and it's not worth buying just a $150 sub)

So the Behringer's will be a much better choice than the Klipsch?

The 2030 would be around $70 more expensive than the Klipsch.

S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
Stupid question: they will stand on an actual bookshelf (underneath my TV) will that be any problem if they're not on the floor?
My amp and dvd player will stand in between.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What's the budget? Overseas I'd probably look at Mordaunt Short (Aviano), Wharfedale (Diamond?), B&W.

The BS22-LR is the current model, but Amazon.co.uk and .de didn't show those either.

The Truth speakers come in both passive and active - noted by "P" or "A" in the model number.

Where you put them will affect the way they sound, but sitting on a stand should be just fine.

Last edited:
S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
The Behringer 2030p's are $250 = maximum budget.
$200 for the Klipsch.
Both shipping included.

Mordaunt are about the same price as the Behringer's I just checked.
What Diamond wharfedale do you mean?

That Pioneers are also unavailable (can't find on ebay)
I have also found 'Dali Zensor 1' for $250.
Boston Acoustics CS 26 for $120, from showroom.

Any suggestion for B&W in that price range?

Will be difficult to make a choice!

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like B&W dropped the 300 series, which would have been the budget line. The lowest bookshelf unfortunately looks like the 686, and it may not be in that price range.

Wharfedale Diamond 10 (various version .1, .2, etc..) I've heard them and I liked them. Wharfedale Kompaktlautsprecher DIAMOND 10.0: Amazon.de: Elektronik *edit - I've heard the Diamond 9s and I liked those.

The Klipsch will certainly work, but Klipsch are one of those "love or hate" brands because they tend to be rather bright (or "in your face") sounding. If you've heard Klipsch before and like that sound, then those should do the trick.

The 2030p is a good speaker, but it isn't going to be spectacular with bass by themselves, so in a larger room they may not be enough. You'd have to step up to the 2031p.
The Behringers are designed to be very neutral and even handed as they are studio monitors sort of intended to be used for music recording/mastering. That doesn't mean they can't be used at home too though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own Mordaunt Short 902s and I loved them. I had them for years and only sold them because I got a great deal on some new speakers.

S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
Bass will be better in the Mordaunt Short Aviano's?
*edit: just done some research and they dont have great bass, same for the Dali's.
The Mordaunt's are very well priced on ebay in the UK. Display models.

Is Wharfedale 10.1 the best option in this price range? They have plenty different models...
Also Klipsch might be a good choice for somewhat more bass and 'modern' styles of music?

The Boston's are too expensive, the price I mentioned wasn't for a pair.

Last edited:
S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
How will that 9year old Yamaha RX396 work with any of these speakers?
You reckon this will be just fine for a beginner setup?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Is Wharfedale 10.1 the best option in this price range? They have plenty different models...
Also Klipsch might be a good choice for somewhat more bass and 'modern' styles of music?

The Boston's are too expensive, the price I mentioned wasn't for a pair.
You said your budget was $250 max - then that would be $240 a pair for Boston.

No speaker is guaranteed to be the best for you.

Any good speaker can play all types of music.

S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help!

Someone recommended me Sony for the amp.
sony-str-dg300 this any good?

*edit: that Sony doesn't have a phono.

Last edited:
S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
OK, any decent brands/models in the low end category? I will keep my eyes open for second hand!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Older Marantz are generally a good choice IMO: SR5000, SR7000 and SR8000 are all very solid. Older Yamahas, Denons and Onkyos are likely to be good too.

Are you planning on doing stereo only, or expand to surround? If stereo only, I'd seriously be looking at a stereo receiver (pretty much all brands: Marantz, H/K, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha) or integrated amp (Marantz, Cambridge Audio, NAD). Something like this:

http://www.amazon.de/Onkyo-TX-8030-Stereo-Receiver-Subwoofer-Lautsprecher/dp/B004WRPC9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358355915&sr=8-1

Last edited:
S

-Stefan-

Audiophyte
Yes, stereo only! I should find something decent for my budget I guess.
That's why I was asking about that 2nd hand Sony (it used to be $300 back in the days) I don't know if that 's lower end for Sony?
That Sony has many digital ins and obviously doesn't support 5.1 (which i don't need)
Only drawback is there is no phono for my Technics. (could buy a behringer 30$ pre amp but maybe that won't do justice to my setup)

I will look for those Marantz but feel free to post some extra brands/models to keep my eyes on.
*edit: Marantz 7000 is around 250/300$ 2nd hand. Bit over my budget. Same for the ONKYO, I'll keep an eye on them for 2nd hand aswell.

Also is an amp with built in tuner a no-no? Would come in handy for me to be honest.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis