Browsed the beginners thread, didn't find what I was looking for.

S

Stander-J

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I will come right out and say that I know nothing about anything when it comes to Audiophilia. I actually am not even an audiophile. The reason I am here is simply because I have a question and can't seem to find an answer that I feel is trustworthy. Therefore I have decided that I may as well go through the extra hassle of asking this question to people who clearly take it seriously, at least to the degree that they enjoy discussing it on BBs.

So, for sometime I've been thinking about getting a turntable. I can admit some of this thinking is probably aesthetic. However a great deal of it also comes from a desire for that superior sound, especially since several bands I like still release LPs, and since I tend to collect music of an older band. Anyway.

My trouble is I don't have the sincerity, the knowledge, the experience, or the desire to run out and buy a set-up that will cost me an arm and a leg. It would also be very pretentious of me.

So now that I have explained where I stand. My question revolves around what kind of turn table am I looking for? I'd like a turntable of fair quality. I understand that you'll get just what you buy. Having said this, for a beginner, for someone who will probably only ever have a casual interest - what is a fitting make/price range? Any recommendations?

I understand this is mostly subjective so to make answering this less difficult, we can operate under the assumption I wouldn't pay more than 300 for a turntable.

Also, will a turntable instruction manual provide me with the more complicated things I would need to know: Such as how to use it without without damaging the record?

Actually I now have another question: Will vinyls wear out from continual use, regardless of being taken care of?

I guess stuff like this could be very well be annoying to the lot of you, but let it be known that your knowledge on such matters are very much appreciated. At the very least, thanks for your time.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Give this a read.

... and yes if you continually play a record it will eventually wear out but it may take a while.

... reading the manual is always good.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Some compromies may need to be made

The end result of that tread was a $700 turntable with an "extra cost" cartridge thrown into the deal. How firm are you on that $300 budget? Personally, I believe you can do quite well for considerably less.

... and yes if you continually play a record it will eventually wear out but it may take a while.
With a properly set up "decent" turntable, a very long while. I've still got vinyl from the 60's.

... reading the manual is always good.
Always a good bet, and not just for turntables.

One other thing to keep in mind: Not all amps/receivers out there today can take a phono directly. Many require an external "phono preamp". Keep this in mind when setting a budget.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

However a great deal of it also comes from a desire for that superior sound, especially since several bands I like still release LPs, and since I tend to collect music of an older band. Anyway.

Welcome.

Well, this has been debated in the past with regards to vinyl. If your bands that you collect don't release on CD, you are forced to vinyl. If they do, then the care taken in mastering the CD is the determinant factor, not that it is on a CD. The CD medium is by far superior, not debatable.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the care taken in mastering the CD is the determinant factor, not that it is on a CD. The CD medium is by far superior, not debatable.
It's also not debatable that due to possibly poor mastering or compression the CD release of some albums is vastly inferior to the vinyl release. Personally I don't buy those new release LP's because they are pretty expensive but used vinyl is wicked cheap. For the most part I think my CD's sound better but I have a few albums on vinyl that sound just excellent. I bet the vast majority of over my 400 albums were a buck a piece ... so ... vinyl rules. ;) :)

This is where 3db thanks me profusely for standing up for vinyl. :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think vinyl does not sound "right". Vocals sound "like vinyl" instead of like the recording. It's instantly recognizable to my ears.

Also agree %200 with Alex that the superior mastering (or lack thereof ;) ) of a lot of vinyl, especially Hip-hop/Pop type stuff makes it worth it. And that is a PITY

Luckily for classical, mastering people know what they are doing, and for that CDs (and especially Blu Ray discs) are normally the way to go.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis