Brothers in Arms XRCD? Worth double dipping?

M

mpedris

Audiophyte
I already own redbook cd of Brothers in Arms. I was told that the XRCD version has significant improvement.

Has anyone heard the XRCD? Is it worth for me to buy this as well?

Thanks in advance.

Please note: I am NOT referring to the SACD! Instead, I'm referring to THIS

Last edited:
M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
mpedris said:
I already own redbook cd of Brothers in Arms. I was told that the XRCD version has significant improvement.

Has anyone heard the XRCD? Is it worth for me to buy this as well?

Thanks in advance.

Please note: I am NOT referring to the SACD! Instead, I'm referring to THIS
As noted you're not referring to the SACD...

I have this redbook CD and I do have the SACD and I feel they did a wonderful job on it, 2CH or 5.1CH. I have heard the XRCD was also done very well. I think in the USA we got a double disc release with a CD & a DVD-A if that would be of interest to you, I did not look into this release too much because I had already had the SACD imported. The XRCD is also an import only right?

M

mpedris

Audiophyte
Mobius said:
As noted you're not referring to the SACD...

I have this redbook CD and I do have the SACD and I feel they did a wonderful job on it, 2CH or 5.1CH. I have heard the XRCD was also done very well. I think in the USA we got a double disc release with a CD & a DVD-A if that would be of interest to you, I did not look into this release too much because I had already had the SACD imported. The XRCD is also an import only right?
Thanks for that input. Yes, the XRCD is import only.

The reason I'm not paying too much attention to the multichannel formats is because this will be played mostly in my music-only 2-channel system. For that purpose, neither the DVD-A nor the SACD would be of any use.

However, out of curiosity, since you have heard both XRCD and SACD, which of those two sounded better to you? Please disregard the surround aspect of SACD. Only consider the SACD in its 2-channel form.

Thanks again.

M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
Sorry for the confusion, I have not listened to the XRCD but I have heard from several people that it is done very well.

I do feel the 2 channel SACD portion is excellent but I do mostly listen to it in 5.1.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
When I ripped the SACD 2ch track to my IPOD, it was WAY too loud. I have to say that it is the same as the 2000 RM and the centre channel in the 5.1 is too loud as well. Not all songs, but So Far Away and Money for Nothing sound too forward and too much in the centre.

Just my opinion. :)

M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
Johnny,

I don't think it's posible to rip the 2channel SACD layer to your IPOD. You can rip the regular CD layer though o an IPOD, Hybrid SACDs typically have a 5.1CH SACD, 2CH SACD and 2CH CD layer.

I guess I don't feel this SACD has any issue in the center channel but we do have completely different setups. I personally am very happy with this SACD but obviously not everyone will feel the same way.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
yes Mobius i did rip the 2ch to IPOD and i tried Apple lossless and MP3 320 VBR (my preferred format).

I did notice a difference with my new DVD player, the yamaha 1500. better bass management and not near as bright now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've never seen a drive that could read SACD internal, so you did this externally? Otherwise, Mobius is correct.

M

mpedris

Audiophyte
I never knew one could extract and convert DSD data, certainly not in pure digital form. So far, ALL DSD outputs are analog, are they not?

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
there is a stereo, 2 channel layer on the Bros In Arms SACD...am I wrong?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It says it is a hybrid, which should be indicated on the packaging, so what you ripped was most likely the redbook CD layer. I burn the CD layer of all my hybrids to CD because I don't want to carry around my SACDs with me and have them get damaged.

M

mpedris

Audiophyte
j_garcia said:
It says it is a hybrid, which should be indicated on the packaging, so what you ripped was most likely the redbook CD layer. I burn the CD layer of all my hybrids to CD because I don't want to carry around my SACDs with me and have them get damaged.
That's PRECISELY what I thought he did. There's no way, IMHO, that the DSD layer can be ripped. At least, not yet. Perhaps the technology will be available to masses later on, but not yet...

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
As has already been pointed, you probably have a dual layer disc. What you ripped is the CD layer. It is currently not possible to read an SACD disc in a computer DVD ROM drive.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Plus, if you somehow do manage to rip the DSD layer, you'll most likely end up with a 5gb file. Do you really have that much harddisk space for one single album?

I have 500gb of combined storage capacity on my harddrives. For 5gb sized albums, I can only store 100 of them. :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis