Bowers & Wilkins Mini Theater MT-50 Speakers Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Most people who are into home theater and speakers will have heard of B&W. The company is known for its high performance speakers and they have a reputation for quality products. Recently, they've demonstrated a knack for making smaller speakers that sound bigger than they are. For example, we reviewed their MM-1 multimedia speakers and found them to be absolutely astounding. I mean, they're "this big"... Now, they've taken that same approach with their new M-1 Mini Theater Speakers. This is their MT-50 system which we reviewed. It includes five M-1 two-way speakers and an ASW608 8" subwoofer.

Discuss "Bowers & Wilkins Mini Theater MT-50 Speakers Video Review" here. Read the article.

W

Weedmonkey

Audiophyte
Seems like the review leaves out some important information, i.e., the size of the room. A HT sound system like the system reviewed with small speakers and a relatively small subwoofer might do well in a smallish room, but how about in a larger area with high ceilings?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Not much info in this review - and did seem like it was
more promo oriented, than anything else.

Seems like the review leaves out some important information, i.e., the size of the room. A HT sound system like the system reviewed with small speakers and a relatively small subwoofer might do well in a smallish room, but how about in a larger area with high ceilings?
We only test small speakers in smaller rooms. In our opinion, small speakers aren't appropriate for larger rooms. Video reviews necessitate a different approach to reviewing in order for them to remain engaging and watchable. I have yet to figure out how to insert measurements, etc without dulling the video down to intolerable levels for the majority of viewers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
We only test small speakers in smaller rooms. In our opinion, small speakers aren't appropriate for larger rooms. Video reviews necessitate a different approach to reviewing in order for them to remain engaging and watchable. I have yet to figure out how to insert measurements, etc without dulling the video down to intolerable levels for the majority of viewers.
Skip all tech stuff in the video - it's probably not interesting for most people, but how about putting the measurements in the article AFTER the conclusion page and only interested people would read it.. Without the meaty tech stuff such review seems a bit shallow...

T

thinkican

Audiophyte
I just went out and ordered this system.

Can you recommend a good AV that will work well with this?

I spoke to the sales person and they said to use pioneer. I had just ordered a harman kardon 3600 (on sale for $400 from $900), but Im thinking of returning it and go with a pioneer vsx-42.

My budget for the receiver is $400-$500.

B

B&W

Audiophyte
Thank you for your review that helped me pull out a considerable amount of pennies order to step forward and purchase this system. I purchased this system in Europe where I do live and believe me the firm I purchased was very efficient informative and definitively helped the experience, so hat off to B&W dealers...they are hand picked at least in Slovakia.
Now I did pair this great system to a Marantz NR1603 another compact AV system that is nothing less then brilliant. I had the chance to demo this system (very briefly) while in NYC and I was so impressed that I did decide to move away from Martin & Logan and KEF.....I mean this is something or what!
The system come very well packed I did get the white version and the entire solid feeling is there since you open the box and start fiddling around on how to connect the wires and adjust the angles of the stand I did wall mount all of them but the center one). Once the 16 gauge silver wires (Jaimo manufactured) were pulled behind the wall (preinstalled since the house was custom built) the installation was a whiff, it took abut 30 minutes for the first one, the other 3 less than 10 minutes each. I did connect the subwoofer with a 25 feet shielded SW wire nothing special just good brand, connect the Cat 5 to the internet, the HDM's to the LG Plasma 50 Inches HD TV, to the SAT RCV, the DVD and ready to go, the audissey did his brilliant calibration part and now after breaking in the speakers at a very moderate volume level, I am starting to fine tune the system.
I have to say that with your reccomendation and the manufacturer ones the system sound extremely accurate, the level of separation between instruments, voice, bass, mi and high is really incredible, I did some runs with DVD "Men in Black, Saving private Ryan, some TV HD shows like National geographic nature and MTX Iconcert....I did play some very high quality DDD Cd from the hey days "Pat Metheney group" and few other and the sound it's of a clarity that would have been unthinkable in a small system like this few years back. My living room it's not small, the walls are solid and built with 45 cm (18 inches) cinder bricks) and the ceiling is double and insulated. Dimension approx 24' x 24' x 9'.
Personally apart the fact I have yet to set up thinks like airplay in the Marantz....the B&W MT50 system as described at the hefty price that sell for (however shop around and you'll find decent deals) is a fantastic piece of audiophile EQUIPMENT FOR YOU HOME, clearly has it limitation (very few and yet to be found), so on my side, thumbs up to Bowers & Wilkins for an excellent speaker and SW system that will please you for years...Oh I almost forgot, if you have an important other one Mow or Wife) living int he house....well the size, the design and the quality of the system not too intrusive and crystal sound will impress them as well and if you are married...well you know what I mean!!! Best of luck and enjoy the system....

B

B&W

Audiophyte
I have the Marantz NR1603 and it's nothing less thatn brilliant, though the price in Europe is around 630 euros, I believe in the US I saw it sells for 600 $....you can get an audition at magnolia (Best buy) as it is one of their high end AV receiver....best of luck you will not be disappointed...

A

Aldo Ellul

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I'm new here and I know that this is an old post, but I'm about to pull the trigger on this one and would like to ask you guys something.

This is definitely a good system and all reviews I have read all say good things about the MT50. My question is...will such a system produce good results compared to a wood bookshelf speaker? I am thorn between the MT50 and the Boston A26 front and A23 rear. Centre and sub from Boston as well.

I liked both but when listening to the systems in the shop it's not like when you are in your living room. I intend to use the system both for movies and music. The speakers will be hooked up to a Denon avr-x2300w.

I might be a bit old fashioned in the sense that I prefer a wooden enclosure but these are really tempting.

Any views and comparisons between the MT50 and the Bostons will be greatly appreciated and will determine my choice.

Thank you

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis