Bowers & Wilkins 5.1 + pioneer VSX-823-K

N

n0rth

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, I am basically an n00b when it comes to gear but have a good ear as I am a musician. Got a good deal on my setup but am thinking my receiver may be underpowered. If someone can take a look at what I got and provide some advice/feedback it would be appreciated.

Front: B&W cm5

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads/Product/InfoSheet/ENG_FP27979_CM5_info_sheet.pdf

center: B&W HTM62b

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads/Product/InfoSheet/ENG_FP28010_CM-Centre-2_info_sheet.pdf

rear: B&W CM1

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads/Product/InfoSheet/ENG_FP17035_CM1_info_sheet.pdf

sub: Martin Logan dynamo500

MartinLogan | Dynamo™ Subwoofers - Powerful, Premium Subwoofers

receiver: pioneer VSX-823-K

VSX-823-K - <b>5.1 Channel Networked AV Receiver</b><br> Featuring 3D and 4K Ultra HD Pass-through | Pioneer Electronics USA

~Cheers!

sgtjim

sgtjim

Junior Audioholic
Totally agree, with the following ratings: "With 140 Watts (1 kHz 1 % THD @ 6 Ohms) 1ch Driven or 80 Watts (20Hz-20kHz .08% THD @ 8 Ohms) per channel of clear audio reproduction" and for that price point there's really nothing you can do to increase it's capabilities since I seriously doubt there are pre-amp outputs available. When driving 5 speakers at listening levels for movies I don't think it would provide satisfactory power levels for all speakers. Adding one or two subs (powered) and crossing the internal amps at a higher frequency (80Hz or more) would certainly take some of the strain off the internal amps. Listen to what you have until you can afford to take the dive into a receiver with pre outs and an external amp or go all the way and get a pre-pro and an amp forgetting the receiver altogether. Good listening and good luck.

N

n0rth

Audioholic Intern
N

n0rth

Audioholic Intern
Update - still sounded amazing with pioneer and VERY VERY loud. Got to 76db clean no clipping - however at 77 db I heard clipping. When looking at the cones the speakers were barely working and it became obvious it was the amp. I have replaced the receiver with a thx certified pioneer elite providing 130watts at 8ohm. EXTREMELY LOUD AND CLEAN - took it all the way with no clipping. cm5's only rated for 120 @ 8hm but handled the extra power with no clipping. B&W ftw - very satisfied with my purchase.

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
what new elite AVR did you end up going with? D3 amps are supposedly very powerful/efficient.

Any comments on the sound from the B&W's paired with the amp?

N

n0rth

Audioholic Intern
I purchased a 2012 elite sc65 model at a substantial discount but returned the cm1's in favor of the HTD lvl2 bookshelves - did a head to head comparison by panning and HTD's blew CM1's away. Elite sc65 is very clean and provides plenty of power to the speakers with very little added noise. I am extremely pleased but 5.1 was total overkill so I made it a 3.1 system.

Moved the lvl2's upstairs to my computer room with the vsx 823 k receiver using hdmi passthrough on video card. VSX changed the brightness on my screen and I had to manually calibrate it to match the other 2. But a solid receiver with very little noise added. Blown away with the quality of the HTD's speakers and would recommend them to anyone. HTD didn't have any of their lvl3 towers in stock , but from what I heard in the demo room they were competitive with the CM5's. If I didn't get the pair of cm5's for 700 I would have chose the HTD lvl3 towers.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with the B&W's as they sound better with records or recordings that have a high noise floor. The HTD's towers sounded great on modern music and digitally mastered tracks but sounded dirty and weak on my older more eclectic music.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis