Bought a Klipsch R-25C center speaker...

H

hextall27

Audioholic
Rated at 100w/400w. It has a 1 inch tweeter with dual 5.25 inch woofers, 98% sensitivity.

I'm wondering if I should have upgraded further to the RC-62, same tweeter with dual 6.5 in woofers. Rated at 150/600w. Same 98% sensitivity!

I've seen the RP-450c which has 4 5.25 inch woofers. 150/600w 97% sensitivity. My question involves two woofers or 4. I already have 2 RF 28 fronts 150/400w..98% sensitivity along with a 12in klipsch sub. Would the larger 6.5 inch dial woofers sound better ( clearer) than the 4 5.25inch???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sensitivity is rated as output in dB (with 2.83V input at one meter distance). FYI Klipsch fudges sensitivity a bit, likely its actually a few dB below that, but still a relatively high sensitivity for a speaker. Wattage ratings aren't very useful for much, more about their melting point and not that the speaker will actually sound good at those input levels.

Generally a larger mid-bass and/or bass driver is a good thing. Whether one speaker sounds better over another is about more than driver size, though, more in the realm of personal preference.

H

hextall27

Audioholic
Any credence to the more speakers the better?? Just wondering why 4 of the same size would be advantageous over two that are larger. The price difference is several hundred dollars!!! Might be better off with the RC 62

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Judging a speaker just by size or quantity of driver isn't a good metric but rather how the total design works (and if it works for you/your wallet :) ). In your case I'd probably at least use the center from the same Klipsch series for as best a match across the front as possible; ideally I'd use another RF28, as a horizontal center is a compromise for placement (under/over a tv) in the first place, but that takes an acoustically transparent screen. I'm not up on the mixing/matching of Klipsch stuff in any case, not generally a fan.

As to calculating the displacement of the drivers, might try something like this http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerDriverDisplacement/

H

hextall27

Audioholic
I get the mix and matching, another rf28 horizontally wouldn't work with my tv stand. I'll look into the link. Thanks!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis