A

aptoklas

Audiophyte
I need to buy really small speakers for my living room that will fit on the mantle piece over my fireplace. I was seriously considering the Bose Acoustimass® 5 speaker system. I then discovered on the net the Orb Company and their Classic Two Stereo Speaker System. Which is $129.00 more. I have experience with Bose and have been happy with the Bose speakers I have. Do any of you know anything about the Orb speakers? What do you recommend?

A

aptoklas

Audiophyte
Thanks for the response, but I am not looking for a surround sound system.

I'm simply looking for 2 small speakers that will fit on the mantle of a fireplace in a livingroom. There is no TV in that room.

Bose and Orb both have the 2 small speakers with a woofer. Is one significantly better then the other? Are there other companies I should take a look at? Thanks

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
All speakers in each of those reviews & in each system are available seperate.

Bose are not the best choice, to say the least. And, I have never heard of Orb.

A bookshelf type speaker will sound much better than sats, if they will fit your application.

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Gallo makes some nice sub/sat systems if you really have to go very small.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
A lot of manufacturers offer their sats out of a system. Check on ebay, you can find some there. I'd recommend something from Energy. They're small, but sound great.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
aptoklas said:
I need to buy really small speakers for my living room that will fit on the mantle piece over my fireplace. I was seriously considering the Bose Acoustimass® 5 speaker system. I then discovered on the net the Orb Company and their Classic Two Stereo Speaker System. Which is $129.00 more. I have experience with Bose and have been happy with the Bose speakers I have. Do any of you know anything about the Orb speakers? What do you recommend?
Let's just say that Bose is a weeeeeeeee bit over priced. For the same amount of money, you could can get a better manufactured speaker that sounds dramatically superior. Many companies (Polk, Infinity, NHT, Axiom, PSB, Energy, Wharfendale, Canton, B&W, R&H etc etc) have inexpensive small bookshelf speakers, as well as those mini cube type systems. Unfortunately, Bose little mini cubes are usually slightly smaller than their competitors but that is a result of using a thin plastic case with a paper cone versus using MDF and a fiber or metal composite cone.

The old adage, you get what you pay for, does not apply to audio speakers.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I like the Gallo sub sats. I've heard them and they sound much better than Bose and look very cool. The Orbs seem to be a bit of a copy, but they might sound ok - haven't heard them. I would try them over Bose, if they sound anything like the Gallos, then they are better than bose!

Hope that helps.

B

bobman1235

Audioholic Intern
Csw

Another option for you might be Cambridge Soundworks. Excellent sounding speakers that are nice and small, and reasonably priced (especially compared to Blose).

Link here

I don't hear much about htem around here but everyone I know who's owned them has enjoyed them.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While you are not getting an answer to your question, you may want to consider how people are so violently responding to your suggestion of spending money on Bose products.

I am with them in knowing that Bose charges way more money than is necessary for their products and there are much better values for your money that will sound the same for less, or sound better for about the same amount of cash and still be near the same size.

If you are familiar with Bose then you may hesitate to look elsewhere.

But, once you are familiar with one of the hundreds of other speaker brands as listed above, then you are familiar with the setup of ALL the other speaker brands. There already is a standard on hooking up audio gear and Bose does not follow it, which really just makes things tougher on you when you are ready to make the switch to something better.

Lots of choices, Bose should not be on your short list of products this year though.

H

hootie10

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have had the chance to hear the Orb Audio speakers (mod1's and mod2's). I think they are good. A lot better than anything Bose has. You will need a subwoofer if you want full range sound.

An even better option would be the Anthony Gallo Micro speakers that were mentioned. I think those are even better than the Orb speakers if you can come up with the extra money for them. I think they are about $300 a pair. And the Orbs are $200 a pair.

If the shape of the speaker is not an issue for you. Then you can consider other brands like Energy, B&W, Paradigm, Axiom, RBH,...lots more. All these would be considerably much better than BOSE.

Good luck. (Remember, if you want your moneys worth, DON"T GET BOSE)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis