Bose Built Invisible System - Compatible Receivers

J

jetsan

Audiophyte
I'm helping my daughter who just moved into a house with Bose Built-invisible amps in the attic and basement. All are wired to existing speakers or RCA speaker jacks at the home theater wall. I was able to get 5 of the 6 zones working, but had no luck with one zone and the home theater, which I could drive for a second, before it would cut out. At this point, I'm trying to prepare for my next visit there, so I can get the entire sytem up and running for her.

There are three Bose Amps, part numbers:
Home Theater Amp: 172075
3-Room Amp: 175061-02
3-Room Expansion Amp: 175061-03
There also appear to be Acoustimass Modules for each,
but I forgot to record their numbers or note the connections. (I didn't realize the potential complexity of Bose Acoustimass Modules.)

My immediate problems:
1) I assume there was a Bose Media Center/Home Theater Unit(s) located in the home theater area. I'd like to know which models are compatible with these Built-Invisible Amps.

2)There are 8 or 9 rca jacks in the home theater area, and I don't know which are inputs and which are outputs. I can't find any proprietary Bose Link connector, so I assume that the installer "broke out" what would be a Bose link to these individual jacks. Are there "standard" ways of doing this; what should I be looking for?

3) Is there any chance of using her existing receiver, DVD and CD Players, etc.? My concerns are feeding the the Bose Amps with the control signals they expect, see below.

4) I'm most interesed in associated remote controls, because she presently has to go to each room to control the volume control manually. I assume the present amps cannot receive RF signals directly. What's the lowest cost Bose equipment that would do the trick? Are there any universal remotes that could do the trick?

I have pictures, but I don't seem to be able to attach items. The following connections are made at the Amps

Home Theater:
Control Cable: VCA, Remote Turn-on, R/L Audio for Video In, Audio Mode Volume Control.
Volume Controls In: (2)
Speakers: Center (2), Surround (L/R), Satellite (L/R), Acoustimass Module

3 Room Extension Amplifier
Control Cable: Audio #1, Remote Turn On, Preset #1, +8V
Volume Controls: (3)
Speakers: Rooms 1, 2 and 3, Acoustimass

3 Room Amplifier
Didn't get the info, as I thought it was the same as above.
Now I realize it has to be a little different.

Bose isn't too forthcoming regarding their equipment, and authorized Bose installers/dealers that start licking their chops whenever I contact them. Any help I can get would be appreciated. If someone is in the Atlanta area, and familiar with Bose installations, I would be interested in hiring them to help me get this working.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think you just need one more post and then you can attach pictures which may be helpful.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
See a bose dealer and they can help with units will work.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm helping my daughter who just moved into a house with Bose Built-invisible amps in the attic and basement. All are wired to existing speakers or RCA speaker jacks at the home theater wall. I was able to get 5 of the 6 zones working, but had no luck with one zone and the home theater, which I could drive for a second, before it would cut out. At this point, I'm trying to prepare for my next visit there, so I can get the entire sytem up and running for her.

There are three Bose Amps, part numbers:
Home Theater Amp: 172075
3-Room Amp: 175061-02
3-Room Expansion Amp: 175061-03
There also appear to be Acoustimass Modules for each,
but I forgot to record their numbers or note the connections. (I didn't realize the potential complexity of Bose Acoustimass Modules.)

My immediate problems:
1) I assume there was a Bose Media Center/Home Theater Unit(s) located in the home theater area. I'd like to know which models are compatible with these Built-Invisible Amps.

2)There are 8 or 9 rca jacks in the home theater area, and I don't know which are inputs and which are outputs. I can't find any proprietary Bose Link connector, so I assume that the installer "broke out" what would be a Bose link to these individual jacks. Are there "standard" ways of doing this; what should I be looking for?

3) Is there any chance of using her existing receiver, DVD and CD Players, etc.? My concerns are feeding the the Bose Amps with the control signals they expect, see below.

4) I'm most interesed in associated remote controls, because she presently has to go to each room to control the volume control manually. I assume the present amps cannot receive RF signals directly. What's the lowest cost Bose equipment that would do the trick? Are there any universal remotes that could do the trick?

I have pictures, but I don't seem to be able to attach items. The following connections are made at the Amps

Home Theater:
Control Cable: VCA, Remote Turn-on, R/L Audio for Video In, Audio Mode Volume Control.
Volume Controls In: (2)
Speakers: Center (2), Surround (L/R), Satellite (L/R), Acoustimass Module

3 Room Extension Amplifier
Control Cable: Audio #1, Remote Turn On, Preset #1, +8V
Volume Controls: (3)
Speakers: Rooms 1, 2 and 3, Acoustimass

3 Room Amplifier
Didn't get the info, as I thought it was the same as above.
Now I realize it has to be a little different.

Bose isn't too forthcoming regarding their equipment, and authorized Bose installers/dealers that start licking their chops whenever I contact them. Any help I can get would be appreciated. If someone is in the Atlanta area, and familiar with Bose installations, I would be interested in hiring them to help me get this working.
Honestly most Bose stuff is proprietary. Because they are profit, marketing driven company. But if you are nice enough to snap photos of the connections maybe we can make sense of it.

J

jetsan

Audiophyte
Photos on PC, but I can't attach them

I have photos on my PC, but I can't attach them.
I guess that I don't have enough posts yet.

The connections at the amp are listed below:

Summarizing, there are:
Speaker Connections: Center (2), Surround (L/R), Satellite (L/R) and Acoustimass Module.
2 Manual Volume Controls: Surround, and Center Chan? (illegible in photo)
Multi-Pair Control Cable: VCA, Remote Turn On, R/L Audio for Video, and Audio Mode Volume Control.

More detail:
Connections are wire slots with screws.
Each "Number" has 1,2 or 3 screws: -/Grd/+ as shown
Blue and White Pairs are typical speaker cables
* I think are the Bose Control Link connections
(They are ~24 ga wires, in a multi-wire cable.)

Home Theater Amp, 172075, Attic Wire Type/Color
1 Ground: White (Grey*)
2 VCA Input (Vol Control): Green*
3 Delay Disable: Shunt to Grd
4 Remote Turn On: Grey (White*)
5 Surround Volume Control: -/+ White Pr
6 Right Audio for Video In: -/G/+ Pink,nc,Red*
7 Left Audio for Video In: -/G/+ Blue,Wh,Teal*
8 Surround Channel VCA In: -/+ nc, Grey* (5+)
9 Audio Turn-on Inhibit Switch: nc
10 ?Ctr Chan? Volume Ctrl: -/+ White Pr
11 Home Theater Mode Selector: nc
12 Remote Turn On: White*
13 -8V Unswitched: nc
14 Ground: nc
15 +8V Unswitched: nc
16 Audio Mode Volume Control : -/+ nc,Green?*
17 Right Audio In: Shunted to Grnd, nc
18 Left Audio In: Shunted to Grnd, nc
19 Surround Speakers: -/+ Blue Pr
20 Acoustimass Module #1: -/+ White Pr
21 Center Channel Speakers: -/+ Blue Pr (2)
22 Acoustimass Module #2: nc
23 Right Front Satellite: -/+ Blue Pr
24 Left Front Satellite: -/+ White Pr

I appreciate any help. I'm willing to see this through, and in the process perhaps help others. I'm retired with plenty of time on my hands.

J

jetsan

Audiophyte
Photos Attached showing connections for
Bose Home Theater Amp 172075
Speakers: Center (2), Surround (L/R), Satellite L/R, Acoustimas Module
Volume Controls (2): Surround, and Center Channel?
Control Cable: VCA, Remote Turn-on, R/L Audio for Video, and Audio Mode Volume Control.
I'm trying to understand the Control Cable signals which I think are termed Bose Link.

Attachments

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Can't really see any detail with those photos. Can you put them in Photobucket so we can see them. It is free to use.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Honest answer?

I really think you'l be better off contacting a local pro who deals with Bose. Yes, they ARE that much of a propritary pain in the ***.

V

veriloud

Audiophyte
Photos Attached showing connections for
Bose Home Theater Amp 172075
Speakers: Center (2), Surround (L/R), Satellite L/R, Acoustimas Module
Volume Controls (2): Surround, and Center Channel?
Control Cable: VCA, Remote Turn-on, R/L Audio for Video, and Audio Mode Volume Control.
I'm trying to understand the Control Cable signals which I think are termed Bose Link.

Hi Jetsan,

I'm currently trying to trouble shoot / understand my Bose 172075 Amp as I'm redoing my system.

Seems your post is the only thing that comes up when I search 172075... So I though I'd ask you how your effort went and please help if you can with:

1. I can't seem to find the installation manual for the 172075 ..
2. Anything you might of learned would help also...

...and I hope your efforts in helping your daughter worked out well ..

T

The duffster

Audiophyte
Bose amp

Hi Jetsan,

I'm currently trying to trouble shoot / understand my Bose 172075 Amp as I'm redoing my system.

Seems your post is the only thing that comes up when I search 172075... So I though I'd ask you how your effort went and please help if you can with:

1. I can't seem to find the installation manual for the 172075 ..
2. Anything you might of learned would help also...

...and I hope your efforts in helping your daughter worked out well ..
Jetsan and Veriloud:

I don't know whether this would help in either of your cases, but I have 172075 Bose amp in superb shape (with manual) that I am willing to part with. I purchased a home with a complete system installed, and my choice is either to let it remain is as-is (and not use it), move the entire installation to another part of the house (too much trouble) or sell it to someone who can really use it. I do not have any of the Bose head-end components but I did have the system working (only once) and it's surprisingly very very good. I have my own higher end system that I am using in the room so the Bose equipment is superfluous and the amp is virtually unused.

BTW, I was told by Bose that an entire system, installed, these days, would run approx $6,000 new -- for what that's worth. I'd be willing to take $250 for the amp. Also incidentally, I have the front (wedge-shaped) and rear (almost flush-mount ceiling speakers) for the system, but they are installed in a ceiling. I would be willing to throw those in, in exchange for the cost of re-plastering and re-painting the ceiling -- so perhaps not worth it!

Anyway, I thought I'd let you klnow that the pursuit of getting these systems running right is certainly worth the trouble, and I am rooting for you.

S

stormynok

Audiophyte
Jetsan and Veriloud:

I don't know whether this would help in either of your cases, but I have 172075 Bose amp in superb shape (with manual) that I am willing to part with. I purchased a home with a complete system installed, and my choice is either to let it remain is as-is (and not use it), move the entire installation to another part of the house (too much trouble) or sell it to someone who can really use it. I do not have any of the Bose head-end components but I did have the system working (only once) and it's surprisingly very very good. I have my own higher end system that I am using in the room so the Bose equipment is superfluous and the amp is virtually unused.

BTW, I was told by Bose that an entire system, installed, these days, would run approx $6,000 new -- for what that's worth. I'd be willing to take $250 for the amp. Also incidentally, I have the front (wedge-shaped) and rear (almost flush-mount ceiling speakers) for the system, but they are installed in a ceiling. I would be willing to throw those in, in exchange for the cost of re-plastering and re-painting the ceiling -- so perhaps not worth it!

Anyway, I thought I'd let you klnow that the pursuit of getting these systems running right is certainly worth the trouble, and I am rooting for you.
Do you still have this amp and owners manual for sale??

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I guess people completely ignore dates and post counts when they try to buy old crap.

stormynok: that post was made in september of 2009 and the dude hasn't posted again since. i really don't think he'll respond to your inquiry.

bxboyjhs

Audiophyte
about the bose invisable amps.

While working in the alarm industry, the co.went on to become a Bose distributor. As possibly said before most of Bose gear is proprietery and is not compatable w/ any other equipment.With that being said they did make in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that were compatable w/ anyones' amps. Your particular problem can possibly a shorted or open/broken wire, use a meter or piezo continuity tester to see if in fact the wires are still good.Anything can happen over time and since this was not new it more than likely has.Also double check all connections at the amps themselves and the power source for them. Good luck ,when they worked for a 3-room system it was ok for it's purpose.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis