Bose ADAPTiQ Enters the Room Calibration Arena

Yes, we're reporting on Bose. Why? Because as much as audiophiles like to use them as an example of how not to design a loudspeaker system, Bose has always represented a great entry point for people looking to get into Home Theater. They have made it easy and practical for new home theater enthusiasts to enter the fray; and they are positioned at such a price point that they generate "upgraders" who are no longer afraid to purchase $500+ receivers and $1000+ loudspeakers. This is a good thing.

But room EQ, you ask? Well, we're not going to evaluate the system (though it has some apparent usability issues), but thought it important to point out that Bose may actually help the market by instilling an awareness of the need for Room EQ (and hopefully better Room Acoustics) in the mind of the average home theater listener. Their new system utilizes a CD and a set of mic-embedded "headphones" which connects to their new LifeStyle systems and EQs the system to counter some room acoustical problems. Does the system work? We have no idea, though we know it can, of course, only work within the confines of the system itself. Other companies who have spent a longer time (and probably more money) on developing such a system (but not necessarily marketing it) have had marginal results at best in round one of their Room EQ systems. The important thing to note is that Room Acoustics is permeating the marketplace and if you haven't yet realized its importance, you're missing out on the greatest thing to hit home theater since DVDs.

Read the Installation Guide

Read the Owners' Guide

Attachments

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Sounds like a good idea to me. I like the Headphone approach...it only needs to be perfect for the "listening chair" anyways right :D

As you said its a growing feature, several speaker companies have released models with room cals (like Infinity), and I think even some high end recievers have these types of options now, right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis