Bose 301 II Resonating with low ends

T

Teletz

Audiophyte
Hello good people,

I got a pair of these old Bose 301 Type II's.
They sound great, but one of them makes an annoying sound, especially with low vocal sounds when watching a youtube video for example. Part of the case starts resonating. When I press on the MDF casing very hard, it disappears. Yes, I got them on my desk, connected to my PC.

When I loosen the screws a bit, that connects the woofer to the case, it disappears, but that messes with the sound I am sure, because in a way, the driver is supposed to vibrate the case. When those screws are loosened, the "pressure" leaks.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello good people,

I got a pair of these old Bose 301 Type II's.
They sound great, but one of them makes an annoying sound, especially with low vocal sounds when watching a youtube video for example. Part of the case starts resonating. When I press on the MDF casing very hard, it disappears. Yes, I got them on my desk, connected to my PC.

When I loosen the screws a bit, that connects the woofer to the case, it disappears, but that messes with the sound I am sure, because in a way, the driver is supposed to vibrate the case. When those screws are loosened, the "pressure" leaks.
Any ideas?
The driver is only supposed to cause the air to vibrate, not the cabinet.

Open it, remove everything from the inside and re-glue all of the joints. You may want to scrape the corners that are being glued, so the glue has something to grip.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Expect to re-glue only the joints on the low areas- gravity will work against you if you try to re-glue everything in one shot unless you use hot glue. The black hot glue seems to stick to everything better than the clear or white- at least, it did when I was doing car audio and it would get on my fingers. Yeah, it's really hot.

T

Teletz

Audiophyte
I'm very experienced with hot glueing things together. Have been using that since I was 15 (now double that age). And I know all about the finger burns. :D

T

Teletz

Audiophyte
It turned out to be a bad rubber foam ring between the driver and the MDF. I screwed the driver directly onto the MDF. Problem gone. Because this is a non elegant solution and likely bad for the speaker long term, I'll get some decent foam replacement soon. Thanks anyway.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It turned out to be a bad rubber foam ring between the driver and the MDF. I screwed the driver directly onto the MDF. Problem gone. Because this is a non elegant solution and likely bad for the speaker long term, I'll get some decent foam replacement soon. Thanks anyway.
If it's just the gasket behind the driver foam insulation tape like for weather stripping you might use on a door works well enough (or you can buy this specific stuff http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-gasketing-tape-1-8-x-3-8-x-50-ft-roll--260-540)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis