Y

YoMoma777

Audiophyte
OK, this might be on the lower end of the audiofiles apectrum, but I still would like help picking out bookshelf speakers.
I`ve never had enuf money to be a true audiofile listener. That said, I just purchased a Sherwood RX-4105 100 watt per channel (2 channel) receiver to use in my basement. Actually to use in my downstairs shower. My wife, daughter and I all own apple products that we listen to music with. Hell, I`m always listening to music while I shower.
I only have room for bookshelf speakers and I am going to purchase a set of USED speakers thru Ebay this weekend. Most likely a "buy it now" option.
Polk Audio is the direction I am leaning at the moment.
I`d like to get opinions on what YOU think is a good bookshelf speaker. Keep in mind the stereo I will be using here. 2 channel is plenty enuf for listening to music in the shower.
I currently own an Aiwa mini stereo system that I may have spent a total of $100 on this system years ago. 100 watts I believe. And one channel is burned out so you can see my need for something new.
I have only $150 dollars to spend on 2 bookshelf speakers.
I see on ebay when I look at bookshelf speakers, ads saying "rear speakers" and such. I dont want anything that has to do with surround sound as I will only be using 2 channels.
What are your opionions of a brand and model that would suit me well in my situation?
Keep in mind I like a little bass in my music. But obviously bookshelf speakers only go so far with bass.
Thanks guys on you input.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I only have room for bookshelf speakers and I am going to purchase a set of USED speakers thru Ebay this weekend. Most likely a "buy it now" option.
Why is this? A slim profile tower won't take up any more physical space...

Polk Audio is the direction I am leaning at the moment.
You can do better.

I`d like to get opinions on what YOU think is a good bookshelf speaker. Keep in mind the stereo I will be using here.
Well, i'd probably want something that's 6 ohm or higher across the range, and 87db/2.83v/m for starters.

Keep in mind I like a little bass in my music. But obviously bookshelf speakers only go so far with bass.
Right, small, inexpensive speakers will only go so far.

Your best bet is probably the Infinity P163 speakers, which depending on discount should be right about your price point.

...but if you're okay with considering towers, and shelling out an extra 50 bucks, I'd highly recommend these:

Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Loudspeakers (Black, Pair): Electronics

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree with Grant (I know that's not your name) the pioneer SP-FS51-LR would be perfect for you, Newegg has them for four days at $139 delivered, hard to beat, they won't last long.
Jeff

ahblaza

ahblaza

OneCall also has the Boston Acoustics A26 white bookshelves for $194 delivered 50% off.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Hahaha, whelp, I'm guessing this is yet another one of those cases where what the OP really wanted was just a "thumbs up" - "go with the plan you already had in mind" type of situation. Pretty sure he just wants to buy those Polk bookshelf speakers on ebay. It's rare to have such a specific plan and actually be looking for genuine advice.

So look, YoMoma777, if that's what you really want to do - buy some Polk bookshelf speakers off of ebay - then go ahead. I'll give you "permission" :p You wouldn't have arrived at that idea if you hadn't already done some research of your own and decided for yourself that you think that's the best way forward. So chances are, you're not going to be happy accepting anyone else's advice and you're always going to second guess anyone else's suggestion and go back to your original plan that you came up with on your own. That's cool. You'll be fine. The Polks aren't what many of us here would choose, but they're fine. They're certainly not the worst speakers in the world or terrible speakers or anything. Why you'd want to buy them on ebay is a mystery to me. But that's what you want to do, so go ahead and do it. There's no way you came up with that idea totally by accident, so "thumbs up"! Go for it.

If you're genuinely interested in the opinions of others, I'm in agreement with the two main recommendations here, which are the Infinity Primus P163 bookshelf speakers, or the Pioneer towers. Superb value. They do a heck of a lot "right" given the very low price point. That's the sort of sound I wish more folks would start with as they are good enough that anyone can learn how to listen critically and learn to appreciate accurate sound reproduction for a very low cost of entry. That said, apparently you just want these for a bathroom setup and to listen to while you're in the shower. So great sound reproduction isn't exactly super important. There's no critical listening happening while there's water running - lol :p

I'll say this though, high humidity and electronics don't typically mix. If the plan is to actually have the speakers in the bathroom and be taking showers while you listen, I'd be much more inclined to look at some "outdoor" speakers. That could be tough with your current budget though. Most of the reasonably good outdoor speakers start at about double your $150/pair budget. Still, if the speakers are going to be living in a high humidity environment, it'd be worth looking into ;)

ahblaza

ahblaza

FR hit the nail right on the head, at least get your polks at Newegg, redicuosly cheap and free delivery from reputable dealer. Good one FR

Y

YoMoma777

Audiophyte
GranteedEV... why bookshelf speakers you ask? My basement has a ceiling of about 8 foot. There is a gap from the ceiling to the bottom of the rafter beams going around my basement bathroom wall which is a pretty small bathroom. I`d post pics but I need a few more posts before I can do that. The speakers fit well at these spots, and because I am 6 foot 4 inches the speaker placement sounds well to me. Floor standing speakers like AcuDefTechGuy mentioned here will only point the sound at my knees in such a confined room.
I will consider any speakers mentioned in this post as all of you have more experience with them than I do.
It`s just that bookshelf speakers work with my "room" situation.

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

GranteedEV... why bookshelf speakers you ask? My basement has a ceiling of about 8 foot. There is a gap from the ceiling to the bottom of the rafter beams going around my basement bathroom wall which is a pretty small bathroom. I`d post pics but I need a few more posts before I can do that. The speakers fit well at these spots, and because I am 6 foot 4 inches the speaker placement sounds well to me. Floor standing speakers like AcuDefTechGuy mentioned here will only point the sound at my knees in such a confined room.
I will consider any speakers mentioned in this post as all of you have more experience with them than I do.
Check out Newegg Polk Monitor 30 $99 pair, the 40's $149 both should fit the bill. 50% off

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here are some nice Infinity P153 bookshelf speakers for $50 each.

What do you think about this 5.1 JBL system for $189 delivered?

Y

YoMoma777

Audiophyte
Ahblaza, would a 5.1 system give me full audio sound? Im not going to watch movies in the shower.
It`s such a small bathroom, maybe 10 by 8 foot. Seems that a 5.1 would be overkill in such a small room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been around here for over three years and I still don't know how to post a link like you just did.
Quote my post and see how the links are inserted.

For embedding a link, use the icon in the toolbar that looks like a blue globe with ( ) at the bottom. Then copy & paste the link. Then change the wordings in the middle to whatever you.

For inserting a web picture, use the icon in the toolbar that looks like a yellow square with the mountain at the bottom. Then copy and paste the link.

Y

YoMoma777

Audiophyte
Bought the Infinity Primus P163 speakers from Crutchfield. Even though it was nearly $30 over budget, it seemed like a good deal.
Thanks everyone for your input.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bought the Infinity Primus P163 speakers from Crutchfield. Even though it was nearly $30 over budget, it seemed like a good deal.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Good choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis