Bookshelf Speaker Roundup of 2017 AXPONA

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Anyone searching for new bookshelf speakers would do well to take a look at what's happening at AXPONA, which is rapidly becoming the premiere audio show for North America. AXPONA (Audio Expo North America) rolled into the Chicagoland area again where we were ready and waiting to take in all the new sights and sounds of high-end audio products. In this segment of our coverage, we look at a handful of bookshelf speakers in the low three-figure range to the low five-figure range.

But, they all have something in common: we thought they sounded good enough that they deserved your attention. Read on to find out who made the cut in our coverage of the bookshelf speakers of AXPONA 2017.

Read: Bookshelf Speaker Roundup of 2017 AXPONA

M

mr sarnoff

Audioholic Intern
Elacs above look decent and given the Pedigree If I was looking for spendy large bookshelves I would look into those outside of what I have in the music room that are fine for my needs.

I have 4 ELAC B6 in a 5.1 array recently purchased sight unseen but given the pedigree, buzz and credible reviews I thought I would try them a try being fully confident they would find a home here and the results are fabulous for the money and some multiples of that modest cost.

The Front L/R on now are playing 2 ch lossless music @16/44 and 24/41 from spinning metal straight out of Windows 10 Grove music app via optical to a spendy Sony ES 7.1 HT boat anchor weight *as modern HT AVR's go clean all the way up to 110 wpc RMS and beyond and this Sony ES can drive all 5 speakers full range at 110 WPC and maybe get luke warm at the vents on the metal case over the cast aluminum heat sink mounted outputs all day and up to 150 wpc at 2.0 ch .

Given the Elac B6 ~87dB @1w1m SPL spec. they like some significant RMS wattage at elevated levels but handle all that as well as some mid fi tower pairs I've owned that cost 5X of 2 ELAC B6 and beyond that and cleaner too !

This is my home office 5.1 /Windows 10 PC and 55" new wide color 4K HDR wall mounted TV space and my "captain's " spot.

I have another cinema room here for the family with a mid fi off the shelf but mid fi adequate 5.1 and Samsung 64F8500 plasma .

We have another med large room for the reference quality music and the PC games and drive sim + modified G27 wheel and so on.

The music room business is of course running lossless music at 850 wpc RMS and 2 studio reference subs with 2 > 2015 12" 3 way JBL reference monitors.

The amp and speakers and all are all THX PM3 Pro certified and there is modest acoustical control in there so all that implies the reference quality that it is or nearly so .

That being said these amazing ELAC B6 on a clean Sony ES premium level AVR with or without the sub on in here are truly amazing at the price and otherwise audiophile quality at some level and good enough in here. even given what the JBLs can do in the other room that can humiliate a lot spendy of snob audio speakers which is saying something

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
I for one am definitely looking forward to that HSU speaker review!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis