Bookshelf speaker recs for large room

G

Gulf Coast Guy

Enthusiast
i am looking for some bookshelfs that will actually sit on a bookshelf. The room is 18x30 with a 12 ft ceiling, so a large soundstage is my biggest need. I will have a sub in the room as well. In the past I've mainly used floorstanders so I am not sure where to begin. I would like to stay under $750 ish.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
GCG, just a couple of general points first...

Rather than room volume, the more applicable metric to speaker capability is the distance from the speaker to the listening position. Do you also have longer than average listening distance (i.e. greater than say 12ft)? If you have a broad listening area, wide uniform dispersion is also desirable, which is relevant to your need a large soundstage.

Conversely, the bass frequencies produced by subs "see" the total room volume and a proportion of any adjacent open areas. So the larger the room (and adjacent open areas), the more capable the sub(s) must be to produce a satisfying bass performance.

Having said all that, and assuming longer than average listening distance, a very good option for a large format bookshelf/monitor speaker within your budget is a pair of Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE's. These are higher than average sensitivity with very wide dispersion and the published measurements are excellent. At about $600 shipped they're great value and will allow you to put a bit more towards the sub(s).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree that ascend 340 are very capable speakers. I just wanted to add one more option to consider : its also budget friendly
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
They have 30 days home trial so you can test them and return if you don't like. I think ascend offer same deal

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
i am looking for some bookshelfs that will actually sit on a bookshelf. The room is 18x30 with a 12 ft ceiling, so a large soundstage is my biggest need. I will have a sub in the room as well. In the past I've mainly used floorstanders so I am not sure where to begin. I would like to stay under $750 ish.
One item to consider if you're actually going to place the speakers on the bookshelf is if the port is in the front or rear. Generally, rear ported speakers need a little breathing room (space) behind them and the wall, or back of the bookshelf.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis