bookshelf speaker HELP!

A

audiohobby

Audiophyte
I'm in the market for a pair of good bookshelf speakers and I'm willing to spend anywhere from 2-$600($600 only if I absolutely have to). I'd like to save money if I can. My head is spinning based on all the bookshelf speakers considerations. I've narrowed it down to a few and they are:
Paradigm shift series a2
-hsu hb 1 mk2
-monitor audio bronze bx2
-episode es 700 monitors
-psb image b6
-beringer b2030p
-emptek e5bi
-cambridge s30
-energy rc10
-usher s520
-dali zensor 1
(Suggestions not listed here are also welcome)
Which of these would be best? Any input is greatly appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"The Best"??

The best how?

They are all over the place, both sound and price wise.

Wen I/we see posts like this, we tend to think our collective legs are being pulled, at least one of them.

A

audiohobby

Audiophyte
I will be using the speakers 50% music and 50% ht. That's what I meant by "the best" sorry for the vagueness. I also don't mind adding a sub.
-paradigm shift a2 $550
-hsu hb 1 mk2 $300/pr
-monitor audio bronze bx2 $415/pr
-episode es 700 monitors $300/pr
-psb image b6 $439/pr
-beringer b2030p $200/pr
-emptek e5bi $250/pr
-cambridge s30 $219/pr
-energy rc10 $219/pr
-usher s520 $400/pr
-dali zensor 1 $475/pr
Does this help?

Last edited:
ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
My personal opinion is it doesn't really matter what you're using the speaker for. I personally can't stand the whole percentage thing. I'm not sure how that started, but I'm not going to lie...I've done it back in the day. Might just be lack of knowledge, lack of how to convey a message while typing, etc...but it really doesn't make much sense (at least to me). Everyone's ears are different and out of those 11 choices, you might find 11 people that love just one and do not like the 10 others. It sucks to not be able to demo everything, but it's just something you have to live with unless you live in an area that has many audio stores (definitely NOT Oklahoma City lol)

It should NOT sound like a speaker
It should NOT color the sound

Your choices are a little all over the place as far as some of the sound characteristics of those speakers. Some slightly warmer than others, etc. I've never heard XTZ, but I'd be taking a VERY hard look at their 99.26mkII's if I were you. The drivers alone cost more than most of your choices

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
To add to what Ousooner2 said, which of these speakers have you actually listened to?

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
It'd be cool to put the Arx 5 and XTZ 99.36mkII together for a shootout

Similar pricing and seem to have well built drivers, etc

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
It'd be cool to put the Arx 5 and XTZ 99.36mkII together for a shootout

Similar pricing and seem to have well built drivers, etc
I don't think theres much in those two's price range that offers such high quality drivers. I would enjoy a big shootout between some of these towers.

A

audiohobby

Audiophyte
I agree with you I know its hard to say with "scattered" options. You're right I'm a total noob and should have posted in the beginners section. My apologies for the inconvenience. But nonetheless, however the thread is interpreted, I'm having trouble deciding on a pair of bookshelfs due to pricing differences and numerous brands. And no I have not listened to any of them. Many of these brands I've never even seen in a physical store and Its stressful to attempt to find many of these in stores; I'd have to drive at least fifty miles to audition them and that's provided they even have 1 or 2 of the brands mentioned, as the web has the biggest selection, which is why I was hoping for some input. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Naw no inconvenience. Everyone has to learn the trick of the trade sometime. If you're correct in that there's nothing around you as far as demo places, there's not much you can do. Lol it sucks...but it's just a shot in the dark. If I had it my way you'd go for the XTZ 99.26 so there are more reviews. If I didn't just move I'd already have the 36's playin

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree with you I know its hard to say with "scattered" options. You're right I'm a total noob and should have posted in the beginners section. My apologies for the inconvenience. But nonetheless, however the thread is interpreted, I'm having trouble deciding on a pair of bookshelfs due to pricing differences and numerous brands. And no I have not listened to any of them. Many of these brands I've never even seen in a physical store and Its stressful to attempt to find many of these in stores; I'd have to drive at least fifty miles to audition them and that's provided they even have 1 or 2 of the brands mentioned, as the web has the biggest selection, which is why I was hoping for some input. Sorry again for the inconvenience.
How about these
CMT-340 SE Mini-Tower Loudspeaker
Or these
CBM-170 SE High Performance Bookshelf Loudspeaker
Or these
HTM-200 SE Home Theater Monitor
I just happen to have some of these for sale in the classifieds, check it out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis