Bookshelf comparisons.

R

rexracer

Junior Audioholic
I've been "looking" at bookshelf speakers for a 5.1 system, but haven't been able to hear any but one. all I can go by are reviews on the web. What I would like is oppinions from people who have used/heard these speakers...especially if they have heard more than one set on my list. Any of your thoughts will be appreciated. My list so far is:

PSB B-1 I got to listen to these, and I liked them a lot.
Infinity Primus 150
Athena B-1.2
Energy C-100
Polk R-15
Onyx ls-x I pretty much know where these stand, but not in relation to the others.

Axiom M3 Probably too much $$, more like a benchmark to judge by.
Ascend ??170?? same as above

I'm interested in any or all comments on the above. Thanks!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard the Athenas, Infinities, and Polks that you listed. All are good for the price. My preference among those 3 would be the Primus 150s, mostly on the strength of their imaging.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would say the top contenders would be the Onix X-LS, Axiom M3, PSB B-1, and the Ascend 170. The X-LS probably represents the best value. You just have to listen to the speakers yourself to truly find the best speaker for you. You can try the X-LS in your home for thirty days, if you don't like them you can return them and they cover shipping. Axiom might have the same policy as well as Ascend, but I am not sure.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I've been driving my Athena AS B1.2's pretty hard the last couple of days and I'll have to say that I underestimated them in the past because I had them either with poor amplification or in poor room. I just put them in my living room with my Denon AVR-686S and I've found new respect for them. They get a little harsh when driven hard, like loud Metallica, but a -2dB treble adjustment cures that. I'm also running a small Sony sub to fill out the bottom end, but overall, I'd have to say the Athena's are decent for the price when used properly.

R

rexracer

Junior Audioholic
Joe Schmoe said:
I have heard the Athenas, Infinities, and Polks that you listed. All are good for the price. My preference among those 3 would be the Primus 150s, mostly on the strength of their imaging.
I liked the PSB's because they weren't overly bright, and had good imaging...at least in the store where I heard them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd drop the Polk R15s from the list. They won't stack up. They are good at average listening levels, but when pushed, they can't hang.

You will want to add the Mordaunt Short 902 on there (http://www.ac4l.com/).

I am hopefully going to get to hear some X-LSs in the next few days here...

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
J,

Are you going to go to the big GTG listening party over in California being discussed on the AV123 forum?

If not, look into it, the big man himself will be there and will be going over all the new X line.

R

rexracer

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I'd drop the Polk R15s from the list. They won't stack up. They are good at average listening levels, but when pushed, they can't hang.

Thanks for the link. let us know what you think of the xl-s's

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
billnchristy said:
J,

Are you going to go to the big GTG listening party over in California being discussed on the AV123 forum?

If not, look into it, the big man himself will be there and will be going over all the new X line.
Hadn't heard about it. I don't frequent their forums, but I may have to take a look. Thx.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Yeah I would go if I was anywhere near Cali, new speakers, speaker comparos and lunch...cant be beat.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
rexracer said:
They look similar to the b 1.2's. Not as efficient and not quite the max power handling. Are you familiar with these? I can get the 1.2's for $120 pr.
Energy and Athena are the same company. Energy is a higher-end. The Athena LS-100B's use the same drivers as the Energy C-100's.

Compared to the B1.2's, the LS-100B's have lower FR(55Hz-20kHz). Also, notice the better looking cabinets. They are a step-up from the B1.2's.

The C-100's are around $220. Here is a chance to have the same drivers used in the C-100's for $150.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=294#
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-specs.php?id=294

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard that the newer Athena LS line uses the drivers from the Energy C line. The one thing I know is that the Athena b1&2's we built much better then newer version 1.2&2.2's. The cabinet and construction seemed more solid. IMO that too will be the main difference between the Athenas LS and the Energy. I'd go with the Energy speaker even though they are more money, if I had to chose between those two.:) If you liked the Alpha b1 from psb then these should be up your alley.

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia said:
You may be right. I know nothing about how any speaker sounds when played very loud, because that is simply something I never do.:cool:

R

rexracer

Junior Audioholic
Joe Schmoe said:
You may be right. I know nothing about how any speaker sounds when played very loud, because that is simply something I never do.:cool:
I don't usually listen at high SPLs but I do occasionally crank it up a bit.Can't get carried away...condo living, you know.:rolleyes: I did find the Energy C-100s on line for $155 pr. Just have to remember where... Once I get my receiver I'll see how much i have for speakers. (I know...backwards, but the reciever and sub are "keepers", the speakers may get upgraded in the future)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Joe Schmoe said:
For the $40 they have recently been going for, they are not bad at all, and I will continue to recommend them. They just don't quite compare to most of the other offerings at ~$200, and I don't think they were really intended to. I don't normally crank it up either, but usually while auditioning I like to push a speaker to an elevated level to see what it can really handle.

My friend brought the X-LSs over last night. We listened to them for about an hour with a variety of music. First impression: wow. Wide stage, pretty good depth and bass, and overall very pleasant sound. They are larger than I expected, but as I also expected the cabinets are absolutely gorgeous (maple). I will be doing some more listening tonight and will do a write up on them once they go back to their care taker.

billnchristy said:
Yeah I would go if I was anywhere near Cali, new speakers, speaker comparos and lunch...cant be beat.
Just saw the thread over there and it is in southern Cali., so I don't think I will be attending.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
John said:
My friend brought the X-LSs over last night. We listened to them for about an hour with a variety of music. First impression: wow. Wide stage, pretty good depth and bass, and overall very pleasant sound. They are larger than I expected, but as I also expected the cabinets are absolutely gorgeous (maple). I will be doing some more listening tonight and will do a write up on them once they go back to their care taker.
How do they sound in comparison to the Mordant Shorts?:D

J

jsantos615

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:

I agree on dropping the R15s. I auditioned them along side the Aperion 422c and the Aperions blow them away (especially when you factor-in service and fit/finish). The Polks sound bigger, than they are, but that's because they are tuned to emphasize midbass, which makes them sound muddy to my ears. You can get the 422cs as "A Stock/open box" for $80/each, shipped both ways, with a 30 day audition. These sound very detailed and the build quality is AMAZING. With my Yamaha receiver, they were bright, but with my Onkyo, they sound GREAT.

On top of the Morduant Short Bookshelves, have you considered the Monitor Audio Bronze Bookshelves? They have great prices for them at Saturday Audio. I have a pair of the Bronze Floorstanders and LOVE them! According to many, the Bronze B2 Bookshelves sound better than the floorstanders, but with less low-end.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Seth=L said:
How do they sound in comparison to the Mordant Shorts?:D
I need more time with the X-LSs before I can form a good opinion of them. So far, they are softer and a little different in nature than the 902s. They require a little more power to get them going due to the lower sensitivity. They remind me a lot of the A/V-1s I used to own - they sound better when pushed harder, though I haven't explored their limits yet. The tweeters are not quite as smooth as the ones GR Research uses.

I had them in the living room, uncalibrated, in place of my A/V-2s for that session (being fed 125 watts @ 8 Ohms by my monoblocks), and they are now in my bedroom where I will ultimately be placing whichever speakers I go with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis