S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
just looking for recommendation on <$500 bookshelf.
currently I'm interest in
wharfedale diamond 225
Monitor Audio bronze 2
Q3020
this will be for PC/mobile 2.0 in 10'x10' room, near field. 70%music,30%video

what are ppl thoughts on these or other speaker comparable to these?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Don't know much about the Q speakers, but Monitor and Wharefedale are reliably good brands. I would get the one that promises the most bass extension since you are going without a subwoofer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What HiFi gave the Q3020 a good review, but never heard of those speakers. For near field only, I'd almost say to look at actual studio monitors like Mackie or Behringer.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Consider a look at KEF Q300, now only $400 a pair (were $649.)

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
hows powered monitor sound quality compare to WD225 or MA bx2 etc? reason I'm purchase bx2 or WD225 is because heard good thing about it, and the port is down or front. I have limited space between speaker and rear wall.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
My two cents:

Since I've been thinking a lot about Q3020, I read a lot about them and listened to them a couple of times. Not only What HiFi, but many, many reviewers and magazines think highly of these speakers. These are really affordable in EU and the majority of reviews go along these lines: for that money it's hard to beat them. Q3020 cost 110$ a pcs. here in my parts.

If any of you get a chance to hear them, please do. I would love to know what you think. If they're good, it would leave a lot of money for other equipment.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
And how well does a rear-ported speaker like the Q-Acoustics 3020 perform up against a wall? Wouldn't you have to run the port plug and live with a little less bass?

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
any other good speaker that's not rear ported? during my research seem most power monitor get loud but sound wise is not good as a good passive speaker+good amp.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For near field you don't need a ton of power since you are close. Actual studio monitors tend to be MORE accurate, whether active or passive. I'd go with what sounds good to you though - since being happy with the way they sound is more important than passive/active or power handling or monitor vs. HT speaker. I heard a pair of powered Mackies in a music setup and they sounded impressive.

https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-XR624-Channel-Studio-Monitor/dp/B01M07HYI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484077017&sr=8-1&keywords=mackie+xr624

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Other than the rear port, those Mackie speakers look like a winner...as long as you're OK with flat black. :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Let us know what you decide. I'd like to know what you pick.
I listen in a 10x10x10 cube shaped room as my dedicated audio room.
Its a near field setup. In my listening chair, with the footrest extended, my feet are between the speakers.
Power handling isn't an issue, as has been stated. Sensitivity is more the issue. And getting a set of speakers that won't fatigue your ears. When you are that close to the tweeters, it makes a difference what's tweetin'.

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
hows
Audioengine A5+ or Emotiva Airmotiv 5s?

@buck
i heard wharf. diamond is laid back and soft, seem most ppl dont get fatigue listening to those.

G

gzubeck

Audioholic
Let us know what you decide. I'd like to know what you pick.
I listen in a 10x10x10 cube shaped room as my dedicated audio room.
Its a near field setup. In my listening chair, with the footrest extended, my feet are between the speakers.
Power handling isn't an issue, as has been stated. Sensitivity is more the issue. And getting a set of speakers that won't fatigue your ears. When you are that close to the tweeters, it makes a difference what's tweetin'.
You should really come out of the closet...sorry couldnt resist.:)

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I still love my Klipsch RB-81i's, their hugeness and mass (27+ lb/ea!) making the Dayton SSBM24 stands they now sit on a tad top-heavy. The 6.5" LF version, RB-61ii, doesn't give up much spec-wise, on paper, and is a better price ($330/pr - Amazon & Klipsch). Placement is easier, too, as both are front ported.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I still love my Klipsch RB-81i's, their hugeness and mass (27+ lb/ea!) making the Dayton SSBM24 stands they now sit on a tad top-heavy. The 6.5" LF version, RB-61ii, doesn't give up much spec-wise, on paper, and is a better price ($330/pr - Amazon & Klipsch). Placement is easier, too, as both are front ported.
s002wjh & JRT3:
I own a set of the Klipsch RB61 ii's, along with the center channel (sitting in my closet) and two RW10's subwoofers and a couple of other Klipsch for satellites. I have had these speakers for over 8 years and had them in 3 different homes including where I listen right now. All that really means is I have listened to the Klipsch sound for a long time under a lot of different conditions.

Would I recommend them? I am not sure I would recommend them. I would tell you they've done yeomans work over the years as both HT speakers in a 5.1 setup and as more challenging duty in a 2 channel stereo setup. They are a great value. They are built to last. They do have a distinctive sound. If you test drive them and really like the sound, go for it. They are price performers for sure.

I am auditioning my short list this month. There's no Klipsch on the short list.
Listening Room 3 reduced.jpg

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I longed for a pair of Klipsch Heresy's since first hearing them in 1971. The current $2k/pr price kept me as a dreamer - until I found (CL!) an affordable decent pair of 1977 vintage - WOW! They have a 12" LF driver in an acoustic suspension, ie, sealed, enclosure and employ the same MF & HF horn-loaded compression horns as the then K-horns. Placement is critical - as it is with your RB-61ii's (Try them back in the corner canted inward... ).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis