Bookshelf <$350 Shipped for Computer Use

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
Hey all, I am currently in the process of building my first audiophile grade speaker system. I am moving from headphones, so my knowledge is limited. So, before I decide on a sub woofer, I am going to pick out my speakers first. I am looking for a good pair of Bookshelf Speakers for $350 or so shipped.

I've come up with a few options so far. I'm leaning towards the PSB B25's for $299 + Shipping, but I am also thinking about AV123's X-LS Encore's. Any opinions here would be welcome. :)

I've also go a few concerns before I purchase anything. My first concern is; Will this setup be overkill for computer use? I plan on spending, max, $800. Also, I have space concerns for the speakers. They will have about 8" of space behind them, but 2'-3' to there sides. Is this enough space for them to breathe and keep them from become boomy?

I've got a a sketch to show you the layout of the room, in hopes it might help. :p

Edit: These will be driven by a $200-$300 Amp and DAC(Might be combined, not sure). I am thinking of grabbing a KingRex USB DAC/T-Amp.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If WmAx sees your thread he's going to recommend the Behringer B2030P bookshelf monitors. He says out of the box they have excellent on and off axis response. Through modification the accuracy could be much improved from what he says.

I won't say they are good speakers, I haven't heard them, but I do trust his opinion and expertise on speakers. The Behringers can be had for extraordinarily cheap and would most likely be perfect for nearfield listening. With the money saved on the speakers you could add a set of subwoofers (start off with one and add another down the line) paired with a decent amount of power. Best to get a good audio card for the PC and use a power amplifier.

At that distance perhaps the Behringer A500 amplifier would be sufficient to power the Behringers.

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I've already actually talked to WmAx about the Behringer B2030P. He's got me quite interested in them, but I am hoping to get more opinions on this subject before I buy anything. :)

C

cubbie5150

Audioholic Intern
I've got a pair of ~month old Epos ELS-3's for sale (posted only on av123's classifieds)...:D

I used them in a computer-as-source setup. I thought they sounded terrific in the nearfield setup I had (Macbook Pro > Apogee Duet (firewire DAC) > Music Hall A25.2 integrated amp > Epos ELS-3's & a Hsu VTF1 sub).

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong w/ bookshelfs from av123. I know nothing of the behringer's...the poster that recommends them seems to know his stuff (I've read his posts in other threads), so they may be worth a shot...

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
ELT 525s

I have a pair of the ELT525 bookshelf speakers that I am using for my surrounds. There are more compact than the X-ls bookshelf speakers and would be a good option for your near field setup. Add an X-sub for $200 to fill in the low end. If you are going with 2.0, the X-ls will have more bass.

I have also read some good reviews on the Audioengine 5 powered bookshelf speakers.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with studio monitors. The Behringers are great, as are the Alesis Monitor Ones. A big advantage is that they are designed for nearfield use.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I agree with studio monitors in this situation as well. Particularly front ported if you can because I know a lot of people who have had bass balance issues with rear ported speakers on their desktops without rearranging things a bunch to get them positioned correctly.

I have Audioengine A2s on my computer and they're quite decent for their size, which was the main reason I bought them. I have a major space issue on my desk with two 20" widescreen monitors side by side. The A2s fit in at the ends just fine.

Their bigger brothers are supposed to be good, and Swans have some monitors that are popular in addition to the previously mentioned models in this thread.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Lots of good options. Here's my list:

PSB B25
Monitor Audio BR2
Axiom M2
Av123 X-LS Encore
Av123 ELT525
Ascend CBM-170
Ascend HTM-200

Out of that list, I like the ELT525's and BR2's. I actually own both. I'm in the process of selling the BR2's so I can upgrade to the Silvers if there's any interest.

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
Ok, first off, thank you all for the replies. :)

I've narrowed my choice down to 2 speakers from all that have been recommended. These 2 have been chosen because they are front-ported because there will be a wall directly behind them(<8"), and I don't want to worry about ball balance issues and whatnot. Here are the 2 choices:

PSB Image B25 ~$325 Shipped

Monitor Audio BR2

Both will look amazing with my wood floors and desk, so looks are out of the equation. Now I am basing my decision purely on price and SQ. The B25's can be had for $299 + Shipping, so something like $325 Shipped. I couldn't find a definite price on the Monitor Audio BR2's though.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

I've narrowed my choice down to 2 speakers from all that have been recommended. These 2 have been chosen because they are front-ported because there will be a wall directly behind them(<8"), and I don't want to worry about ball balance issues and whatnot. Here are the 2 choices:

Monitor Audio BR2

Both will look amazing with my wood floors and desk, so looks are out of the equation. Now I am basing my decision purely on price and SQ. The B25's can be had for $299 + Shipping, so something like $325 Shipped. I couldn't find a definite price on the Monitor Audio BR2's though.

Any thoughts?
There are some used Monitor Audio BR2's for sale in the classifieds if you are not opposed to buying used.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42944&page=3

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the the link. :)

Looking for a couple more opinions before I buy anything. Also, anyone know where I can buy a new pair of Monitor Audio BR2's? I can't find a store for the life of me.

Edit: Is ArtofSale.net a reputable seller? I haven't seen much feedback about them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Monitor Audio BR2

Any thoughts?
I haven't heard the Monitor Audios but I habe heard the PSB Image B25s and they are an outstanding speaker with good life-like mids, revealing but subtle treble and tight fast bass without the bloat.

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
Thanks to all for the replies. I believe I've made my decision; I shall be buying the Monitor Audio BR2. People have said that the BR2's are great for low level, near field listening while the B25's shine at louder levels, great for HT's. I also like the look of the BR2's over the B25's, so that also helped in making my decision(and the fact that they were $40 cheaper shipped from SaturdayAudio).

Again, thanks you all who have replied. Much appreciated. :)

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
I saw that during my research, it was the first link in Google. :p

That post is actually the reason why I chose the BR2's over the B25's for looks. They look great in his pictures.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I saw that during my research, it was the first link in Google. :p

That post is actually the reason why I chose the BR2's over the B25's for looks. They look great in his pictures.
great, if you have any questions about adding a sub to the mix, pm him and im SURE he will have some good advice;)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Saturday Audio is selling the B2's and not BR2's. The B2's are still excellent speakers, just an older version of the BR2's.

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
Ah, just noticed that as well. Do you think the B2 is worth it over the PSB B25's or should I just grab the B25's?

I can't seem to find a reputable seller in the US of the BR2's anywhere online.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis