bluray with cd or just cd

aoluain

aoluain

Enthusiast
hi all, im in the process of putting a 2nd audio system together
in our computer room for vinyl and cd listening.
this is a budget system for a small room and i was wondering
if i should go with a cd player or a bluray (for future proofing?)
player with audio playback

thanks in advance

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
hi all, im in the process of putting a 2nd audio system together
in our computer room for vinyl and cd listening.
this is a budget system for a small room and i was wondering
if i should go with a cd player or a bluray (for future proofing?)
player with audio playback

thanks in advance
Well, since you want future proofing just in case you want video as well from a player, go with a Bluray.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pre or post brexit? :) Am in US so no help on what things cost over there. A competent bluray player now will do fine with dvd or cd discs as well. You may need to pay attention to the type of output it has depending on your system. Are you fine with hdmi output from the player or do you need analog?

aoluain

aoluain

Enthusiast
Well im in ireland so its still the EU. I will need RCA outputs. Was having a look on ebay and i can spend anything from €35 to €3500 .......like everything else i suppose. Here is one i fancy its a Sony BDP S300 ?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well im in ireland so its still the EU. I will need RCA outputs. Was having a look on ebay and i can spend anything from €35 to €3500 .......like everything else i suppose. Here is one i fancy its a Sony BDP S300 ?
That son would be great but I don't think they still make it. It came out nine years abo and Sony updates their Blu ray line about every two weeks it seems. If you've got a line on clean, guaranteed used one, then go or it.

As for new stuff, be careful. Analog inputs are getting harder and harder to find. Most only output HDMI.

aoluain

aoluain

Enthusiast
thanks mark, yea there is one on ebay but after reading a review it doesnt support the higher dolby tech. not sure if i end that though?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Now it becomes a question of what yo want here.

If you want a CD player then those new hi-glitz formats are a moot point.

If you want to use it with a new AVR to avail yourself of them then it will.

But, to be honest, I don't have them and don't really miss them. plain old DD/DTS still sound stunning.

FWIW, I use a Denon 1940CI, a pre-blu ray universal player, as a dedicated CD/SACD player, and a separate $100 Sony $100 ray player.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/denon-dvd-1940ci-universal-player/

Note the date on the review.

New blu-ray players, with access to the new hi-glitz formats are a dime a dozen, almost literally. ...but no analog outputs.

Of course, there's always the Oppo line and they are well within your specified max of 3500 and they do everything you want.

Last edited:
aoluain

aoluain

Enthusiast
I like your style!
sounds like my style too.

I dont do hi-glitz. Our main "sound" system is a mish mash
of Technics, Pioneer and Philips, Amp/Tuner/6 CD Changer
My new budget system will be an Amp/Turntable/?CD player?
excluding speakers I hope to land it all under €150

We dont really watch that many movies, probably about
15 in the year but we listen to a lot of music from both
CD's and streaming into the "sound system"

My budget system will be for cd's and Vinyl and possibly
some music DVD's which I have as part of a CD bundle etc.
so the BLURAY player will cover that but it will be going through
the amp etc. analogue connections all the way.

hmmmm have to source a T.V too.....at some stage

I have made a decision and im opting for the Panasonic bluray
it has the standard RCA output same as a standard CD seperate
so it will be good through the amp. The Sony although it has the
7.1 audio output is "above the budget"

Thanks for all the replies

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since HDMI only output is becoming common, there are now a few HDMI to RCA converters being marketed which provide 5.1 conversion. These cost less than 6o dollars. You could get one of these and then enjoy multi-channel SACD from something like the Sony 7200 BD Player for not much more than two hundred dollars. This assumes you have a receiver with 5.1 RCA inputs.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I seem to be pointing this out often, but I really like a "disc" player to have a display on the front that shows CD track numbers. Two of my systems have a TV, but three of them do not. Peace and goodwill.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That son would be great but I don't think they still make it. It came out nine years abo and Sony updates their Blu ray line about every two weeks it seems. If you've got a line on clean, guaranteed used one, then go or it.

As for new stuff, be careful. Analog inputs are getting harder and harder to find. Most only output HDMI.
Hey Mark :)

I've been checking out the Sony's (assuming that the models are the same between US and Canada)
and every Bluray Player they ship except for maybe their bottom model also ships with a coax output. Its not analog I realize but it is another connection option other than HDMI. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis