MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
A couple guys on the AVS forum have the Samsung BD-P1000 and have confirmed:
No DD+,DTS HD and TrueHD decoder on board
Also that HD-DVD has better picture quality then Blue-ray, this is due to Blue-ray using the old MPEG2 codec at the moment

cheers:)

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Clint did an excellent review about 10 reasons HD-DVD format will end up losing.

For me I'm putting the money into building a new Gaming/ HT-PC. Come next year, Toshiba should have lost this format war, and 2nd gen products will be out. That should also see Blu-ray DVD drives for your computer out by then, with lower prices. I'll purchase one of those, stick it in my pc and rock blu-ray.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Well looking at the first generation players, it looks like everyone who has both is picking HD-DVD.
OH and that reveiw was about BOTH formats
Without any further ado, here are the reasons HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc will never turn into the dominant formats for digital media viewing:
cheers:)

Last edited:
FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
mpompey said:
Clint did an excellent review about 10 reasons HD-DVD format will end up losing.

For me I'm putting the money into building a new Gaming/ HT-PC. Come next year, Toshiba should have lost this format war, and 2nd gen products will be out. That should also see Blu-ray DVD drives for your computer out by then, with lower prices. I'll purchase one of those, stick it in my pc and rock blu-ray.
incorrect, that was about why high def. dvd in general will not be secuessful, hd-dvd and blu-ray. IMO sony is screwed with blu-ray. hd-dvd will win becuase it will apeal to more the the masses than blu-ray, for one major reason, it is cheaper. That is what makes and break technology. Look at VHS and betta, betta was a better product in many ways but lost the format war due to cost as will blu-ray. You must not have read his review very closely. Winning this format war is about getting the average joe to buy your player, kepp in mind your average joe just bought his hdtv MAYBE, this is the same guy that thinks his HTIB is the best thing since the wheel. Naturally the average customer will go with what is cheaper if there is not extremly obvious advantages, its just human nature. One great example my dvd know a guy who presses dvds. For him to press hd-dvd he had to get $10,000 in upgrades where for blu-ray he had to buy a new machine. What do you think he did? what anyone would do said screw blu-ray. You must also have missed the another review about the chinese who make 75% of all dvds in the usa. When facing with which format to support they chose hd dvd, why because it only cost them maybe $30,000 in upgrades where blu-ray was millions in new machines. Simply put i strongly believe that once again sony is going to have another format flop on its face. While neither format will dominate and rule out standard dvds at least for a while hd dvd will win

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Maybe I should have stated High Definition DVD format(S) instead of HD-DVD format. I assumed everyone would know that I was talking about two different topics. One being the death of HD-DVD formats, and the second me building a HTPC while waiting out what happens with it.

I still believe Blu-ray is going to come out on top, even if the discs and players are initially more expensive. Web sites like this, magazine reviews, and the internet can be a powerful force. Look what happen to Divx before if even hit the shelves. The internet killed that. How many of you out there have told family and friends to wait. Will Blu-Ray have a reign as long as VHS had, no way. We are going to see digital download solutions, that will serious undermine buying formatted media, versus downloading and archiving your media.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll buy one when movies I want arrive with good transfers. BRD's initial spat of releases have some less-than=good reviews out, so I think I may hold-off until SONY starts its double-dip campaign with good transfers (which is a shame because Robocop is one of my must-own titles that would sway me to one format or another).

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
mpompey said:
Maybe I should have stated High Definition DVD format(S) instead of HD-DVD format. I assumed everyone would know that I was talking about two different topics. One being the death of HD-DVD formats, and the second me building a HTPC while waiting out what happens with it.

I still believe Blu-ray is going to come out on top, even if the discs and players are initially more expensive. Web sites like this, magazine reviews, and the internet can be a powerful force. Look what happen to Divx before if even hit the shelves. The internet killed that. How many of you out there have told family and friends to wait. Will Blu-Ray have a reign as long as VHS had, no way. We are going to see digital download solutions, that will serious undermine buying formatted media, versus downloading and archiving your media.
i agrere iwth you somewhat but everyone on web sites and the internet is still no where near enough to influnce the major public. And the major public is who is making these companies their money. Unfournatly they really dont care about pleasing the few who truely know how great their format is, its all about the money and the people on these websites and other places are not enough to provide that type of revenue for these companies. I work at an electronics store. I would say 80% of the customer i talk to have not heard of any of the high def dvd formats and when i show them and the price tag there respnse is most allways no way would i pay $500 for a dvd player, then with the mention of blu-ray and its $1000 tag the average response is something along the lines of it better bake pizzas to or something. This is why i personally i believe we have a situation much like sacd and dvda where it will appeal to the few with actuall knwoleadge on the matter, however out of the two hd-dvd will be much much more secuessful. Just my thoughts

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
You know, this actually makes me glad I don't yet have an HDTV. I'm in no hurry to get films in hi-def, since I can't enjoy them anytime soon. By the time I do upgrade, all this launch stuff will be over, one format will be the dominant, and I can save some money over the early adopters.

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
Jedi2016 said:
You know, this actually makes me glad I don't yet have an HDTV. I'm in no hurry to get films in hi-def, since I can't enjoy them anytime soon. By the time I do upgrade, all this launch stuff will be over, one format will be the dominant, and I can save some money over the early adopters.
True True but then you dont get to show off to all your friends!:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis