Blu-Ray Image Quality

T

titan_789

Audioholic Intern
I am in the market for a blu-ray player in the $200-$250 price range.

I was looking at these 3:

Sony BDP-S360
Panasonic DMP-BD60
Samsung BD-P1600

How does the image quality compare between these three?

The receiver I am getting will decode DTS-HD so the blu-ray player only needs to send it.
I am looking to spend the least without sacrificing image quality. I do not need any extra features.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My guess is, the Panasonic will be better but not by much.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Yeah the Panasonic would be my guess for upscaling. However, 1080p24 should be the same on all 3 units. Did you consider a Samsung BDP-25xx instead? It has Reon scaling.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I tried the Sony and the Panny at home when I got my BD player and I chose to keep the Panny. They weren't these exact models but I'm going to guess that the comparison would still hold, for me at least. My decision was based more on usability and menu functionality since I felt PQ was similar on both units.

I gave up on Samsung after having a player die in about a year and getting two bad displays. That was the end of my experience with Samsung so I can't comment on their products.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I can only speak of the Panasonic, which I have had for about 4 months now. Load times are reasonable and have had no difficulty reading discs or any other problems with it.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Hi, i would not recomend the Samsung BD-P1600
only because i have the 1400 and it is so slowww at loading, i use my PS3 now and that loads like lighting 10x as fast.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned

Sony BDP-S360
Panasonic DMP-BD60
Samsung BD-P1600

The receiver I am getting will decode DTS-HD so the blu-ray player only needs to send it.
I am looking to spend the least without sacrificing image quality. I do not need any extra features.
Image quaility will depend greatly on your display, which is what?

T

titan_789

Audioholic Intern
Right now I am running an older Sony SXRD 1080P set. I will be getting a new LCD soon. Something for around $1000, 120hz, 1080P, a Toshiba or Sony perhaps.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah the Panasonic would be my guess for upscaling. However, 1080p24 should be the same on all 3 units. Did you consider a Samsung BDP-25xx instead? It has Reon scaling.
Agreed. The Samsung 25xx series can still be found for a decent price.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Right now I am running an older Sony SXRD 1080P set. I will be getting a new LCD soon. Something for around $1000, 120hz, 1080P, a Toshiba or Sony perhaps.
If image quality is a concern at your new display price point, please consider getting a plasma, and a panny. The samsung 25xxx series is nice, but I still like the bd60. Do you currently use a universal remote? If so the sammys do not have discrete codes.

T

titan_789

Audioholic Intern
I don't have a universal remote.

The Samsung BD-P2500 is about $60 more than the Panasonic DMP-BD60. Would there me much of a noticeable difference between the two? Seems like another $60 for slightly better image quality compared to a player that already looks superb.

My TV budget is around $1000-$1400. The closer to $1000 the better.

T

titan_789

Audioholic Intern
The Panasonic VIERA G10 Series is recommended?
It is certainly in my price range.
Is it one of the better looking units in the $1000-$1200 price range?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Sony BDP-S360
Panasonic DMP-BD60
Samsung BD-P1600

I suggest you play with all 3 in a store and see which one fits your decor and temperment better. Quality will probably be nearly equal.

A

allargon

Audioholic General

The Samsung BD-P2500 is about $60 more than the Panasonic DMP-BD60. Would there me much of a noticeable difference between the two? Seems like another $60 for slightly better image quality compared to a player that already looks superb.

You need a universal remote. It doesn't have to be a Logitech, either.

The BD-P2500 doesn't just offer better upscaling image quality. (I doubt any of these mainstream units have any 1080p24 Blu-Ray playback differences.) You get extra features like Netflix streaming, etc., too. I'd only go w/ the Panny over the Samsung if I needed good DAC's. (Of course, if needed the multichannel analogs, I wouldn't bother w/ anything less than the Oppo.)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned

The Logitech Harmony 550 Universal remote control could be found in Canada for about $70 cdn on sale. It is THEE BEST for the price. ;)

The Samsung BD-P2550 (Canadian model) is a terrific player, can't go wrong here. But the Panny DMP-BD60 is also a fabulous player, so save $60 and pick the Panny. :)
And use that $60 toward the Harmony 550 remote.

The Panasonic VIERA G10 Series is recommended?
It is certainly in my price range.
Is it one of the better looking units in the $1000-$1200 price range?
The Panny Viera G10 Plasma models are the very best value for the money, period.
In your price range, this is it. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Samsung BD-P2550 (Canadian model) is a terrific player, can't go wrong here. But the Panny DMP-BD60 is also a fabulous player, so save $60 and pick the Panny. :)
And use that $60 toward the Harmony 550 remote.
I paid C$265 for my 2550 at the time the same store was selling the BD60 for C$449. The 2550 is a 2008 model so it should be cheaper, but it does not seem to work that way in the U.S. I guess that's why we need free trade.:confused:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You need a universal remote. It doesn't have to be a Logitech, either.

The BD-P2500 doesn't just offer better upscaling image quality. (I doubt any of these mainstream units have any 1080p24 Blu-Ray playback differences.) You get extra features like Netflix streaming, etc., too. I'd only go w/ the Panny over the Samsung if I needed good DAC's. (Of course, if needed the multichannel analogs, I wouldn't bother w/ anything less than the Oppo.)
Are you sure the BD-P2500 offer better upscaling image than the BD-60? I have not viewed any of the Pansonic players playing SDVDs yet but according to some reviews their Uniphier chip does a great job upscaling too.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
This and that.

I paid C$265 for my 2550 at the time the same store was selling the BD60 for C$449. The 2550 is a 2008 model so it should be cheaper, but it does not seem to work that way in the U.S. I guess that's why we need free trade.:confused:
Yep, South of the border, they are in a total different planet. ;)
Well, just look at who's leaving there (after an 8-year vacation) and coming here up North, George Bush. :eek:

Free trade! It's going to take a whole lot more than that, our heads for example. :eek:

Are you sure the BD-P2500 offer better upscaling image than the BD-60? I have not viewed any of the Pansonic players playing SDVDs yet but according to some reviews their Uniphier chip does a great job upscaling too.
I got both (well the 5000 and the 55), I prefer the Panny, faster and trouble-free. I also found the picture from the Panny less jerky than the Samsung, more consistant with less smirching. I think the reason why, is that the Sammy picture is sharper and more revealing of faults. I prefer the Panny's picture, still very detailed but je ne sais quoi extra punch and polish look.

That's only my set of eyes though. :cool:

Bob

A

allargon

Audioholic General
The only chips that definitively trounce the Reon are the Realta's found in the Denons (and Marantzs?) and the Anchor Bay in the Oppo. The Marvell in the LG and one of the Pioneers? is arguably the Reon's equal.

The Uniphier, like the PS3, is good, but it is not nonpareil like the the Anchor Bay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis