Blu-ray Hits 1 million, HD DVD Poised for Comeback

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
According to Business Wire, Blu-ray Disc has become the first high definition format to sell more than a million discs, a milestone it has achieved in less than one year. Blu-ray Disc sales also accounted for 70 percent of the sales figures published by Home Media Research. Blu-ray's sales lead has increased each month since the first of the year and nearly three out of every four high definition movie sold in March were on Blu-ray Disc.

Discuss "Blu-ray Hits 1 million, HD DVD Poised for Comeback" here. Read the article.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Didn't Walmart just purchase a bunch of $299 HD DVD players? That's going to make a huge impact if they can actually sell them to Walmartians.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Didn't Walmart just purchase a bunch of $299 HD DVD players? That's going to make a huge impact if they can actually sell them to Walmartians.
Yeah....and the Chinese manufacturers moving into the market with low cost HD-DVD players......then we'll see how Blu-ray fares. Even at the moment they're tracking rather close(if you look at th Amazon figures, sure BD had a honeymoon when the PS3 hit but thats over as their sales rank fall showed) and that's with Blu-ray having ton's more players in the market, it'll be interesting when HD-DVD dump a ton of players into the market.

Seriously this 'war' is far from over, and if HD-DVD's plans roll out, I'd be surprised if the tide doesn't turn. Add to that, I'm hearing that many people who own both formats are preferring and buying the HD-DVD version over the Blu-ray one when they have the option(now that's saying something!)

cheers:)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I can't wait for the dual players becoming the norm. OR, my personal favorite, HD DVD and Blu-Ray being blown away by a new technology (other than a CD preferably) that is quicker and holds ever more data. And the hell!! Go to blockbuster and bring a hard drive home! :p

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I can't wait for the dual players becoming the norm. OR, my personal favorite, HD DVD and Blu-Ray being blown away by a new technology (other than a CD preferably) that is quicker and holds ever more data. And the hell!! Go to blockbuster and bring a hard drive home! :p
Not far off, HVD or similar technoligy will become the storage norm for all applications. Once they can produce the Holographic technology develops and becomes more cost effective you will see a quick rise from that type of storage. If a holographic cube or disc is kept out of the light it should last about forever.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Not far off, HVD or similar technoligy will become the storage norm for all applications. Once they can produce the Holographic technology develops and becomes more cost effective you will see a quick rise from that type of storage. If a holographic cube or disc is kept out of the light it should last about forever.
Yeah but let's hope there wont be 2-3 companies developing the product this time so we can avoid a stupid war.

BTW, how can you keep a medium from the light? Other than a casing, I don't see any other solutions. Obviously, a product has to see the light one day or another!!

Do you have some links/information on this new technology? -- sorry it's a little off topic

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Do you have some links/information on this new technology? -- sorry it's a little off topic
Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is an optical disc technology still in the research stage which would hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information.

I thought Maxell were going to be releasing the 300GB version to start things off, has this happened yet? I think it'll be years till we see a cheap enough version of these HVD's that hold over a Terabyte, and by then we'll probably be ready for another format change and a jump in resolution, 4k anyone? ;)

cheers:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis