speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I just turned my computer on and signed in online when all of a sudden my power goes off after hearing a very loud popping sound! It turns out that not too far from where my apartment is a transformer blew. As such, I have a few questions I thought some of you may can answer.

Okay so the transformer blew up and my power goes out. But, the power came back up rather quickly. However, both my modem and Ooma had to reboot. My computer completely went dead, then also started to reboot. However, both my Ooma and modem never fully came back up. I had no internet for most of the day. So, if a transformer blows up and knocks out my power, then how did the power come back on so quickly?

What causes a transformer to blow up to begin with? Is it from too much voltage? Why then did it take all day to get my internet up and running? Does blowing a transformer also result in a voltage surge? Luckily, my gear all seems to be fine. Lastly, a hard shut down on my computer is not a good thing is it? Why is that? What can I do to avoid a hard shut down in the future? Certainly want to protect my gear as best as I can. Renter's Insurance only covers so much all with a deductible. So, what you say folks? Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The most frequent cause of transformer failure is overload, but age and ambient heat are other factors. Some actually explode.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I just turned my computer on and signed in online when all of a sudden my power goes off after hearing a very loud popping sound! It turns out that not too far from where my apartment is a transformer blew. As such, I have a few questions I thought some of you may can answer.

Okay so the transformer blew up and my power goes out. But, the power came back up rather quickly. However, both my modem and Ooma had to reboot. My computer completely went dead, then also started to reboot. However, both my Ooma and modem never fully came back up. I had no internet for most of the day. So, if a transformer blows up and knocks out my power, then how did the power come back on so quickly?

What causes a transformer to blow up to begin with? Is it from too much voltage? Why then did it take all day to get my internet up and running? Does blowing a transformer also result in a voltage surge? Luckily, my gear all seems to be fine. Lastly, a hard shut down on my computer is not a good thing is it? Why is that? What can I do to avoid a hard shut down in the future? Certainly want to protect my gear as best as I can. Renter's Insurance only covers so much all with a deductible. So, what you say folks? Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
It's possible that a fuse blew near the transformer- it sounds about the same as a small cannon. Your internet taking so long could be related, but I suspect the problem was outside of your place.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Lastly, a hard shut down on my computer is not a good thing is it? Why is that? What can I do to avoid a hard shut down in the future? Certainly want to protect my gear as best as I can.
A power failure most often does not harm a desktop or laptop computer. If you were working at the time you might lose a little work (like if you were editing a document), but most modern software uses a technique called checkpointing to ensure that data corruptions don't occur.

If you really want to protect your computer and your work get an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). A UPS has circuitry that detects voltage drops, and when one occurs it switches to an internal battery. $200-$300 buys a reasonable residential unit. They also include surge protection.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The most frequent cause of transformer failure is overload, but age and ambient heat are other factors. Some actually explode.
We did have some storms come through. As such, I think lightning may have been the culprit. As soon as I heard the POP my power went completely off. However, it also came right back on. The modem and my Ooma kept trying to reboot. Internet has been off most of the day. Everything seems to be up and running now. I think that I just dodged a bullet. Thank Jesus Himself for that. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It's possible that a fuse blew near the transformer- it sounds about the same as a small cannon. Your internet taking so long could be related, but I suspect the problem was outside of your place.
Yeah, it sounded like a small cannon. Power came back on, but my internet not so much. What would cause that to happen? Why would my power come back on and no internet?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A power failure most often does not harm a desktop or laptop computer. If you were working at the time you might lose a little work (like if you were editing a document), but most modern software uses a technique called checkpointing to ensure that data corruptions don't occur.

If you really want to protect your computer and your work get an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). A UPS has circuitry that detects voltage drops, and when one occurs it switches to an internal battery. $200-$300 buys a reasonable residential unit. They also include surge protection.
Yeah, I think BSA has mentioned to me a few times about a UPS. When funds allow, I will look into getting one. Not against the idea of a refurb if I can save some money.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
'Round these parts, they blow up pretty good when you shoot 'em! A .22 will do the trick.
I am pretty sure it was lightning that caused it. We got a good pounding last night. Damage all over town. But, I am sure a .22 would certainly do the trick as well. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
'Round these parts, they blow up pretty good when you shoot 'em! A .22 will do the trick.
That would be one crime for which I could easily support the return of public flogging.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
During a storm a broken tree limb can cause a high voltage power line (4 to 12 thousand volts) to fall or touch the 120/240 Volt lines. That can make a large noise. Problems like this are the reason for ground rods and whole home surge suppression systems.

As to the internet connection, it requires AC power at several points in the city.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, it sounded like a small cannon. Power came back on, but my internet not so much. What would cause that to happen? Why would my power come back on and no internet?

Cheers,

Phil
Hard to say- one popped near my house at night, when I would think the demand was lower. Maybe it was caused by the hillbilly whose house is closest but I haven't heard any industrial noises coming from his house. It's possible that the fuse took out the cable if it threw some chunks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@speakerman39

In general, it is not a good idea to simply kill the power to your computer. You really want to power it down correctly with the software before killing the power.

The most likely problem to occur is related to the mechanical HDDs, it isn't good to just kill the power to a mechanical drive at whatever random location it was sitting when the power died. Upon re-powering that read-head is still in that random location.

For modern SSDs, it really isn't as big of a problem as it was for mechanical HDDs.

Of course, your PC may have either SSD or HDD, or both.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
@speakerman39
The most likely problem to occur is related to the mechanical HDDs, it isn't good to just kill the power to a mechanical drive at whatever random location it was sitting when the power died. Upon re-powering that read-head is still in that random location.
Not with any modern HDD I'm aware of. They use power stored in a capacitor to retract the actuator when a power loss is detected.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
We have a faulty transformer between mine, and my neighbor's house that goes on/off frequently and has for years. Sometimes it will do it every day for a week or so and sometimes will go months without an interruption. We've both called since I suspect this is what killed the last circuit boards on both my refrigerator and my stove and a couple PCs power supplies and she's had some electronics fail as well.

But, it's one of those situations that doesn't show failure when being checked and the power company would have to camp out there until it failed. Since both of us have called numerous times, they should just change it out but we can't prove it.

Anyway, we are both praying for that transformer to get hit by lightening.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
We have a faulty transformer between mine, and my neighbor's house that goes on/off frequently and has for years. Sometimes it will do it every day for a week or so and sometimes will go months without an interruption. We've both called since I suspect this is what killed the last circuit boards on both my refrigerator and my stove and a couple PCs power supplies and she's had some electronics fail as well.

But, it's one of those situations that doesn't show failure when being checked and the power company would have to camp out there until it failed. Since both of us have called numerous times, they should just change it out but we can't prove it.

Anyway, we are both praying for that transformer to get hit by lightening.
Wish I knew who the guy was that shot one near my house. I just happened to be in the yard (it was dark out) and a pickup stopped, the passenger fired off three quick shots, the transformer blew with a pretty nice pyrotechnic display, and they roared off. I don't know if they were riding around the neighborhood and shooting every transformer they saw or what. However, we did not lose power so I imagine they were spreading out their targets or maybe they just shot the one by me.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Wish I knew who the guy was that shot one near my house. I just happened to be in the yard (it was dark out) and a pickup stopped, the passenger fired off three quick shots, the transformer blew with a pretty nice pyrotechnic display, and they roared off. I don't know if they were riding around the neighborhood and shooting every transformer they saw or what. However, we did not lose power so I imagine they were spreading out their targets or maybe they just shot the one by me.
IIRC, transformers have a secondary relay of some sort that sometimes allows them to continue sometimes until they can be replaced. I swear I heard that somewhere. I have a relative that works for the power company so maybe I heard it from him, or, I could be imagining it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@speakerman39

In general, it is not a good idea to simply kill the power to your computer. You really want to power it down correctly with the software before killing the power.

For modern SSDs, it really isn't as big of a problem as it was for mechanical HDDs.

Of course, your PC may have either SSD or HDD, or both.
Thanks Slip for the info. Will be looking at and pricing some UPS units in the very near future. Money is a bit tight right now. But, I will mange to get something along the UPS lines. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Slip for the info. Will be looking at and pricing some UPS units in the very near future. Money is a bit tight right now. But, I will mange to get something along the UPS lines. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
UPS units aren't too pricey usually. If you have a projector, then UPS is mandatory. For most other electronics, it is a luxury.

By far, I prefer the APC brand!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis