Blockbuster Takes a Swing at NetFlix

Movie rental chain and always-12-months-behind-the-times Blockbuster has decided to start mailing DVDs to customers' homes. This direct assault on the NetFlix business model comes nearly 8 years after the DVDs-by-mail business model was started by Netflix. So what does Blockbuster offer, you ask?

Up to three titles out at a time
No return dates or late charges
Unlimited rentals
2 free in-store movie rentals/month
$19.99 per month​
Blockbuster is marketing the deal through AOL and MSN which they think will allow them to reach 75% of all Internet users in the US - a number that seems highly inflated and optimistic. Blockbuster has set up 10 delivery centers across the US to handle this new service, but is planning on utilizing the local store chains for delivery by next year.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Netflix has a wide variety, they have some things I don't think block buster would ever carry.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I' ve never rented a DVD before, not from netflix nor blockbuster. So far I've never seen the point to renting when I can usually buy something on sale & resell it for a good percentage of my money if I don't like it.

J

jzac

Audioholic
I've been renting flicks from Walmart for the last few mths. You can't beat it for the basic price and delivery...2nd day delivery! :) The selection is pretty decent...except for some classics which require a long wait. Otherwise, they are the cheapest right now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis