Blew my Polk PSW404 tonight with M + C

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
So tonight i was watching Master and Commander and on the first battle scene, blew my Polk Audio sub. I heard this loud crackle....went over the same scene , and it crackles....ran the speaker test on the Denon 3805, loud crackle. .played a CD, crackles when it's turned up to -20 or so...Maybe the amp inside? One good thing, it's 2 years old and Polk's warranty is 5 years. On the sub amp, 3 years. Guess it's time for an upgrade.

I had the Denon 3805 at 7.5 on the volume for the sub. Sub volume on back , the knob at 3/4....master volume at about -20, crossover at 80hz, fronts on small.

it was a burned copy...think that matters? It was just as good as the original I thought...clean burn, DTS soundtrack.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
That's an expensive sub. Amazing. I didn't think you could blow those things. How long were you into the movie before the driver came undone? Sounds like you melted the voice coil!

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
It happened during the scene when he sees the flash, yells for everyone to get down......near the beginning.

How does one know if the amp is blown or the speaker..or the voice coil? is it much to fixing this? How long will it be in the shop you think?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The only thing you can do is hook up another woofer to the amp (you'd have to unscrew the sub from the box) and see if it plays ok. It may void the warranty, so find out from Polk what to do first. Sometimes they'll have you send in the amp by itself. The only way you'd melt the voice coil would be playing it extremely loud for long periods.

H

hammong

Audioholic Intern
Polk has -extremely- good customer service, as I observed recently. I bought a pair of RTi10 mains for my HT and noticed that one of the woofers had a small dimple in the surround. Being the aesthetically demanding guy I am, I send Polk an e-mail asking how to fix the situation. I got a reply back within -minutes- saying they'd send me a replacement at no charge, and within a week, I had it at my doorstep. Lo, and behold, the guy that sent me that reply within minutes was Ken Swauger, the customer service manager for Polk. That's service.

Call them on the phone, or send e-mail to their technical support address, and see what they recommend.

Greg

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. I had a torn grill and damaged bottom on my RTi10's. I called customer service and told them about it. They charged me $19 for a new grill and silver bottom plate, free shipping, and had it in a few days. I told them I bought "floor models" and they said the exterior had no warranty, but they would discount me 50% anyhow with free shipping, and honor all warranties on the drivers. There's not a better company out there than Polk Audio for customer service. Go Matthew!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis