BIC America centers as main speakers?

V

vorbius

Audiophyte
Hi,
I noticed posts about BIC America speakers in this forum. I came across an idea of using centers DV62CLR as main speakers. Saw a couple of opinins and a long review article on this on the Net. They were all raving about this setup. I am also interested in floor standing speakers DV84 which I cannot find too much info on. Supposedly also amazing speakers and the lower range is even lower (27Hz vs. 38 in DV62CLR). So I am wonderind if anybody had a chance to compare these two setups and could share their opinion on this subject? Thanks for your time and effort up front.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Using the the DV62CLR speakers as mains is intended by the manufacturer, as indicated by its name "CLR", meaning center, left, right. I've never compared the CLR to the DV84 though. I know MacManNM has, so I'll wait for him to chime in.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
The clr actually has more bass than the DV84. The only problem with the clr is that the bass is not as controlled as in the 84 and the midrange needs a little work. Both of these problems can be overcome and you can have one great speaker for a really good deal.

With a little work you can make the clr sound really great and it will be a really good bang for the buck speaker.

1. Pull the woofers and the crossover out. Send the crossover to Ed Frias. He does a mod on the crossover that clears up the midrange and makes these speakers sing.

2. Add polyfill to the enclosure. This helps out the bass control problem. The bass will be plentiful and tight.

3. Put a layer of felt (some prefer open cell foam) around the tweeter. This will help eliminate any diffraction issues.

For $100, plus $25 for the crossover mod, a little polyfill and felt ($10 to do all of your speakers), and some of your time, you will have some awesome speakers. These are very hard to beat at this price point. I believe you can’t find a better setup under $600 (that would be 5 DV62clr’s with mods) As far as the DV84’s go, I think they are pretty good, but the clr’s can sound better for less money.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Another thought. You can get the CLRS's from Ed Frias directly, measured and extensively modified for $160 each plus shipping if you are not comfortable taking out the x-overs and want to make sure the drivers are perfectly matched. Getting three of those from him and then 2 plain ones for the rears may be a good way to do.

Take a look at this for an idea of what one guy did:

http://www.slottweak.com/bic/bic.htm

Pat

J

johsti

Audioholic
2. Add polyfill to the enclosure. This helps out the bass control problem. The bass will be plentiful and tight.
I just sent my crossovers out to Ed last week. When I opened the enclosures, I noticed the lack of polyfill in the enclosures (only the back of the enclosures are lined with insulation). I sent an email to Ed asking if I should stuff the enclosures with polyfill while I had them open. Here is his response.

"No need to add insulation, the crossover modification was tuned with the stock amount from the factory. Thanks!

Ed"

I don't see how adding polyfill would hurt anything, but he knows much more about speakers than I ever will.

To stay on topic, I agree that DV62CLRS all around would make a great setup. I went with the DV64 towers for my mains because I wanted floorstanders, and planned on having the crossovers modified by Ed Frias. He won't modify the DV84's.

deemic

deemic

Audioholic Intern
Hi all...

I'm new to these discussion boards, but have been lingering around for many months now. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I can't seem to figure out how to create a new post:confused:

So if I may pose a quick question for some of the more experienced folks in this forum, allow me.....

I recently parted ways with a Bose system, 301 Series IV , VCS-10 center channel and 141 rears. . My first Dolby Digital experience as it turned out, was less than satisfactory due in large part to my negative experience with these speakers. I found them fairly lifeless, especially the center channel.

So I've been seeking a low price replacement alternative and was wondering if I'll get: Higher power handling, greater efficiency,better high frequency response and better imaging from the Bic Venturi line. I'm on the fence with the DV84, the DV62CLRS and the DV62si as my new set up. I've read any online reviews (there are VERY few) I could find and was hoping to get some input from the knowledgeable persons in this forum as to if this would be an upgrade in the previously mentioned areas of concern.

I've always been told "if its sounds too good to be true, than it is"

So are these Bics an exception to the rule? I had a pair of old, old Venturi's from the 70's (Formula 6??)about 15 years ago that were fantastic for their age. Are they still producing great speakers? I know it's a few questions to answer so thanks in advance.

Dee

V

vorbius

Audiophyte
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I forgot to mention that these would be used mainly for listening to music, although I am thinking of a home theater system setup. Will they sound great for music, too or are they beter rather for movies?
Also, I read this article written by a guy who tested these clrs for music. He raved about them. He took them to a local audio store where he knew the salesmen, taped the company logos and had them compare those speakers to two other high quality pairs by listening only (I am not sure what the other ones were). All the guys picked out BICs as the best sounding ones and were absolutely shocked when they discovered the brand (and price!). But later he sent the crossovers to Ed Frias and when they came back he didn't like them the same way. He said something was missing from the sound and it took him a long while to figure out what. It was I quote "airness nad fluffiness of the sound". He said they still sounded great but different and IHO not as good as before. I would love to post a link but due to a recent reinstallment of the operating system I lost it as I forgot to backup my favourites folder.
Anyone had a chance to compare the moded and unmoded 62CLRs? What do you think about the difference?
Also I own Venturi DV62SIBs and I am thinking of using them as rears when I get new ones. Do you think they would be "good enough" for the HT setup with 3 CLSRs (moded or not)? Honestly I care about sound of music more than HT sound but since I own them already I thought I would save my money and use them. They are great and I have a feeling they would probably be a great match. What do you think?

J

johsti

Audioholic
http://www.slottweak.com/bic/bic.htm#bic%20imaging

You mean this review?

Not everyone has the same taste in speakers. However, this is the only review out of about 50 or so that I've read where the reviewer prefered the sound of the unmodified BIC's.

I should be getting my modded XO's back in a couple days, so I'll let you know if I see a positive difference, or if it's all hype.

Since you already have the 62si's, you already know how the BIC's sound. The mods are supposed to reduce the brightness, and improve the midrange which should help the speakers out considerably for listening to music. I think the BIC's sound great for movies/TV right out of the box.

The CLRS should just sound fuller and play louder and deeper than your 62si's. The 62si's would make great surrounds if you put 3 CLRS up front, or the DV84/64's.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
johsti said:
I just sent my crossovers out to Ed last week. When I opened the enclosures, I noticed the lack of polyfill in the enclosures (only the back of the enclosures are lined with insulation). I sent an email to Ed asking if I should stuff the enclosures with polyfill while I had them open. Here is his response.

"No need to add insulation, the crossover modification was tuned with the stock amount from the factory. Thanks!

Ed"

I don't see how adding polyfill would hurt anything, but he knows much more about speakers than I ever will.

To stay on topic, I agree that DV62CLRS all around would make a great setup. I went with the DV64 towers for my mains because I wanted floorstanders, and planned on having the crossovers modified by Ed Frias. He won't modify the DV84's.

Perhap for moderate listening levels this is true, but when you turn them up to louder levels, I do not believe this to be the case.

Last edited:
V

vorbius

Audiophyte
johsti,
Thanks for the link. Yes, that's the article I was talking about. Let me knw how you're gonna like the moded centers. I am very interested. I am leaning towards extensively moded DV62CLRs from Ed Frias. Emailed him today to and thro today. Too bad he doesn't give money back guarantee, but the reviews are so good, I am being really tempted. Let me know, please.

J

johsti

Audioholic
vorbius,

I should be receiving the modified crossovers today. After I listen to them, I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis