Bi-wiring a pair of Klipsch F-2 speakers

C

codfather

Audiophyte
I have a new (pre-owned) pair of newer Klipsch F-2 speakers. These replaced an older pair of SF-2s. The SF-2s were not bi-wired and sounded good, so when I wired the F-2s, I didn't bi-wire them. (Yes, I've read most of the articles about bi-wiring and bi-amping.) After I hooked them up to my Yamaha RXV-2092 receiver, they sounded like they were in a closet. Now if you're familiar with the RXV-2092, you know there are tons of sound adjustments, so I readjusted everything and still no luck. I noticed that the two pair speaker lugs have no jumper or connection to pair them with each other, so I installed a 14 ga. piece of identical speaker as a "jumper" and the sound is incredible. Here's my question: Why? Thanks for any help. I'm a first-time poster.
Codfather

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Bi-wireable speakers are essentially two speaker systems in one box. That jumper joins the two speaker systems. If you run one speaker cable, you need to join those two. That jumper does that.

The idea for bi-wiring is to run a speaker wire to each speaker system. To separate those two, one needs to remove that jumper (and hopefully save it) and run one speaker cable to each pair of speaker terminals.

When those jumpers were removed, you NEED to connect a wire to each of the two pairs of speaker terminals. If you only run one speaker cable with the jumper removed, you will only power one of those two speaker systems. To correct that, you need to jury-rig a jumper, which you were wise enough to do.

C

codfather

Audiophyte
Bi-wireable speakers are essentially two speaker systems in one box. That jumper joins the two speaker systems. If you run one speaker cable, you need to join those two. That jumper does that.

The idea for bi-wiring is to run a speaker wire to each speaker system. To separate those two, one needs to remove that jumper (and hopefully save it) and run one speaker cable to each pair of speaker terminals.

When those jumpers were removed, you NEED to connect a wire to each of the two pairs of speaker terminals. If you only run one speaker cable with the jumper removed, you will only power one of those two speaker systems. To correct that, you need to jury-rig a jumper, which you were wise enough to do.
Hey Mark...thanks for the prompt reply. In the Klipsch literature, they describe the F-2s as capable of being bi-wired but they do not indicate that bi-wiring is necessary. That being said, maybe the previous owner removed the jumper (assuming they had them). Your help is appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's not required. They are "capable" of being bi-wired. But, to do so, one must remove the jumpers.

They originally came with jumpers when they were shipped from the factory. Odd are the guy you bought them from lost them.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
For what it's worth I bi-wire my Klipsch towers. When I did it to one speaker (curiosity) it sounded very slightly better than the other just using jumpers, so I did it to the other one too.

I attributed this to the quality of the jumpers, free with purchase, more than anything to do with bi-wiring itself, but that's just a guess.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You could achieve the same thing by just replacing the jumper with a short run of wire.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis