Beyerdynamic DT880 2003 Model Subjective Review

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Introduction

These open headphones were referred to me not for casual listening, but rather as a linear near resonant free control with one minor modification required for full fidelity. Since they are no longer in production I had to find a used pair for sale before I could pick them up. Now that I finally have a pair here I figured I should give my subjective review.

It should be noted that the DT880s are fairly hard to drive and thus not ideal for use with an iPod as they would require an amplifier.

Gear used in this review:
DT880 (duh;))
Behringer Xenyx 802 as an amplifier
Playstation 3 with my CDs stored on an external HD

The Modification

As mentioned a slight modification was needed to tame the treble on this pair of headphones due to an acoustic issue (yes thats right this pair of headphones needs to be acoustically treated :eek:).

Firstly, one needs to get quality acoustic foam like this. Next the material needs to be cut into a circle with diameter 2 and 3/16 inches by 1/8 inches thick. I used a professional grade meat slicer for the trick as my home model wouldn't do the job properly. Once this is done a circle with diameter 15/16 inches should be cut in the center of the foam cut. Almost done now, take some acoustically transparent cloth and cut it to a circle with diameter of about 3 and a half inches. Place the foam in each can and then lay the cloth on top and stuff it under the gray velour. Now your headphones are treated and no one will even be able to tell the difference.

Pictures of Foam and Cloth: 1 2
Finished Product: 1

*One warning about the modification some might find it to slightly reduce the comfort of the headphones. I personally did not.*

Build Quality

The headphones are extremely comfortable to wear in part due to their very light weight and sot velour ear pads. In fact, after wearing the headphones for 10-15 minutes I no longer notice them. My only complaint about the build quality of the DT880s is that the extension ability of each channel to adjust for head size feels a little flimsy while in actuality it is very sturdy it just slightly unnerves me occasionally.

Sound Quality

So here it is the big question how do these headphones stand up? Pre-modification these headphones were harsh and rather unpleasant, but I bought these knowing I would modify them.

Once modified these headphones were quite a pleasant surprise. First I went to the naturally recorded music in my collection to try and detect any touch of coloration due to resonance. I could detect none at all a refreshing experience. A quick side note: While I realize most don't entirely understand the problem with resonance and what it does the simplified explanation is it colors the speakers sound at specific frequencies. While a truly neutral sound requires that no audible resonance be present. One can train them self to separate this resonance from the speakers sound if the proper steps are taken.

Next I just started playing tracks I enjoy listening to and am familiar with. The bass response feels very 'full' comparing to other headphones and many sound systems I have auditioned - never once did I feel like the low end was missing anything especially when at times the frequencies played were somewhat tactile.

The midrange seems to be perfectly accurate tonally which is simply stunning. The term audio microscope comes to mind listening to these. During Spanish Harlem I actually heard the violinist walk up to play the solo far more clearly than I ever have which was only audible on a pair of B&W 802Ds.

The treble would be described as fatiguing by many including myself even post mod. Now this is not because of actual accentuation of the treble response, but how most recording is done along with how our ears work. Various forms of perceptual research have shown that with modern recordings a gradual roll off of the treble response is needed for perceived tonal accuracy. These headphones lack that roll off instead maintaining linearity. This is why I plan on using them with an EQ for actual listening purposes.

Tracks/Albums used (No specific order):

Rebecca Pidgeon - Retrospective - Spanish Harlem
Ellis Reynolds - Jazz at the Pawnshop Disc 1 - I'm Confessin
Dino - Collectors Series Disc 2 - Just as I am/ Softly and Tenderly
Steely Dan - Citizen Steely Dan Disc 1 - Bodhisattva
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon - Money
Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel - Macro

I find this last album very interesting from the start. It is an example of loudness done right (yes you read right). Every bit of distortion created from the loudness images with the music and seems to flow perfectly, furthermore the album itself seems to be fairly dynamic despite its unimpressive measurements from Adobe Audition.

Conclusion

In the end I am unsure if I would purchase these headphones solely for listening use without an equalizer due to the linear treble response, but with an equalizer or for use as a non-resonant, linear control these headphones are hard to beat. All in all I am extremely happy with my purchase and fully plan on using them with an EQ [DCX2496] for all my music listening until my speaker build is complete - I am simply ruined :D.

Sorry if I didn't use the typical reviewer terms when it came to sound quality they just don't make sense to me ;).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting review.:) I wasn't expecting a headphone review.:D

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
How is the headphone out on that Behringer amp?

The DT880 is a high impedance headphone, as such, it needs a good headphone amp that can pump out enough current to power it properly. The headphone out on a decent receiver should do a decent job. The headphone out on a good preamp is even better.

I am surprised that you find the stock DT880 shrill sounding. A couple of years ago when I was really into this whole headphone hobby, I did a comparison between the DT880 and the Sennheiser HD600, both powered by a Grace 901 dedicated headphone amp. To my ears, the DT880 has a more linear response than the HD600. Bass wise, the HD600 has that famous midbass hump, so it makes everything a bit bassy, rather pleasant to listen to. Trebble wise, I actually find the trebble on the HD600 to be more shrill sounding than the trebble on the DT880. To my ears, the trebble on the DT880 is well controlled. In contrast, the trebble on the HD600 seems less under control,

Overall, although the DT880 gives you a more linear representation of the music, I find the HD600 to be more fun to listen to. Next to the HD600, the DT880 just sounded dull. Although I guess for studio mixing this is a good thing :)

But ever since I heard the well controlled trebble on the DT880, I never could get used to that shrill sounding, metallic trebble on the HD600 again.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
How is the headphone out on that Behringer amp?
While I have not meaured the specific Behringer mixer he is using, I did test another unit(UB1202) in the same family, and it can transparently power any dynamic headphone you so desire, including an AKG K340 or K1000, two of the most insensitive headphones on the market.

I am surprised that you find the stock DT880 shrill sounding.
I can verify the poor treble performance of a stock DT880. I designed the modification used above in conjunction with careful acoustic measurement/analysis of the headphone system. The treble performance is vastly improved with the modification, measurably. While I did not do double blinded listening evaluations, I did take an unmodified unit and a modified unit, both with no obvious visual differences, and did my best to 'mix them up' by rapidly switching them back and forth randomly, and I could reliably identify the modified version.

-Chris

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
The Behringer is actually a mixer that happens to be a great headphone amp.

As far as the treble response on the DT880s before the mod there is a significant peak [about 4-5dB] revolving around 7-10KHz. Post modification this peak is removed. Once this peak is removed the DT880 has a very linear response which while respectable has been proven to be perceived as not tonally accurate as mentioned in the review.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hello Avaserfi, I can't find where the headphone jack would be on the Behringer. Do you need a dual mono adapter to stereo or is there a stereo output 1/4" jack on there? If so, which jack is it?LOL

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Interesting, so the trebble response on the stock DT880 is not all that great.

Well, by any chance have you ever heard of the Sennheiser HD600? It would be interesting to see what your impression is of the HD600, and how it compares to the DT880. I know the HD600 has a midbass bump, which makes everything sound warm and fuzzy. But I've always been curious about the trebble response on the HD600.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Hello Avaserfi, I can't find where the headphone jack would be on the Behringer. Do you need a dual mono adapter to stereo or is there a stereo output 1/4" jack on there? If so, which jack is it?LOL
It has a 1/4" jack on there. Here is a pic:

Well, by any chance have you ever heard of the Sennheiser HD600? It would be interesting to see what your impression is of the HD600, and how it compares to the DT880. I know the HD600 has a midbass bump, which makes everything sound warm and fuzzy. But I've always been curious about the trebble response on the HD600.
I haven't personally heard the HD600s, but believe I have a friend who owns a pair. I will contact him and see if he will let me borrow them for a short while. I will get back to you on this one.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I haven't personally heard the HD600s, but believe I have a friend who owns a pair. I will contact him and see if he will let me borrow them for a short while. I will get back to you on this one.

Thanks! Really appreciate it!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai

Well, by any chance have you ever heard of the Sennheiser HD600?
Yes. In addition, I have given most every high end headphone(the main exceptions being the Denon and Ultrasone units) made in the last 15 years a substantial evaluation, compared to a steady reference and purist high quality acoustical/classical music track assortment(that I have used for many years). I am always on the lookout for good headphones. :)

It would be interesting to see what your impression is of the HD600, and how it compares to the DT880. I know the HD600 has a midbass bump, which makes everything sound warm and fuzzy. But I've always been curious about the trebble response on the HD600.
The HD580/HD600(same headphone and transducer, different cosmetic exterior screen and color scheme), IMO, sound exactly as you describe: warm and fuzzy. I am afraid I can not offer any extensive opinion on the treble(I quickly tired of this headphone and did not bother to notate every last detail about it), but I did not notice anything severely wrong with it.

-Chris

Last edited:
furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks for your impressions WmAX.

So, in your opinion, of all the high end headphones you've tested, which one is the ultimate headphone?

Like avaserfi pointed out in the initial post, a headphone can have the most linear response, it doesn't necessarily sound good in real life.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for your impressions WmAX.

So, in your opinion, of all the high end headphones you've tested, which one is the ultimate headphone?

Like avaserfi pointed out in the initial post, a headphone can have the most linear response, it doesn't necessarily sound good in real life.
Well, you have to define what you mean by 'ultimate', no?

For ultimate resolution/reference, I prefer the modified 2003 edition Beyer DT880.

For live monitoring/tracking, I prefer the Sony MDR-7506.

For a display piece, I prefer the Sony MDR-R10. :)

For ultimate rock/heavy metal/pop playback, I prefer a slightly modified Sony MDR-CD3000. It has a coloration I like for that type of music. The modification is a moderately thick cotton cloth over the driver to reduce treble balance a bit.

For the most realistic/natural tonal response for classical/acoustic recordings of very high quality, the Sony MDR-CD900ST is my pick. I should point out that I was saving up for a Stax Omega II, as this was what I thought sounded most realistic at one point, but that was before I had a chance to try the AKG K340, which was superior for that type of music. But after this, I finally had the chance to try a Sony MDR-CD900ST for this type of music. It's the current winner - and I mean that it sounds more realistic for that type of music even compared to the vastly over priced (and under-built) Sennheiser HE90(Orpheus).

-Chris

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I guess we have similar tastes when it comes to headphones :)

Right now the only high end headphone I own is the Sony MDR-SA5000, successor to the famed MDR-CD3000. There is just something about that Sony sound that draws me to the music.

I used to think that an accurate headphone is the ultimate headphone. But after much trial and error, I find that I actually prefer a bit (not too much) of "coloration" by my cans.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I would say that a lot would have to do with how you drive any given headphone. The same pair of headphones driven by different amps will sound different.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I would say that a lot would have to do with how you drive any given headphone. The same pair of headphones driven by different amps will sound different.
Amplification for headphones is no different than that for speakers. Any headphone amplifier properly designed with transparency in mind will be exactly that transparent only imparting it power on the headphones. Thus, just like with speakers the only time headphones will sound different with different amplification is if the power source used is insufficient for the situation it is being used in.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Amplification for headphones is no different than that for speakers. Any headphone amplifier properly designed with transparency in mind will be exactly that transparent only imparting it power on the headphones. Thus, just like with speakers the only time headphones will sound different with different amplification is if the power source used is insufficient for the situation it is being used in.
I was looking at this Behringer Eurorack UB802 which appears to be the same as the XENYX 802 just a different color, perhaps production year, and most importantly, the price.:D $40+shipping seems like a great deal if it's capable of driving most any headphone.:)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I was looking at this Behringer Eurorack UB802 which appears to be the same as the XENYX 802 just a different color, perhaps production year, and most importantly, the price.:D $40+shipping seems like a great deal if it's capable of driving most any headphone.:)
The 802UB is the previous model of the Xenyx 802. As far as I can tell the two units are functionally the same with the only difference being the snazzy name. The low price is likely due to sell out prices.

These mixing units are very capable. I bought mine primarily as a phantom power supply for my measurement microphone then discovered how well it works for headphone amplification.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The 802UB is the previous model of the Xenyx 802. As far as I can tell the two units are functionally the same with the only difference being the snazzy name. The low price is likely due to sell out prices.

These mixing units are very capable. I bought mine primarily as a phantom power supply for my measurement microphone then discovered how well it works for headphone amplification.
I like making discoveries like those. I wasn't expecting so much from the Teac when I got it, it still continues to surprise me.:)

G

GreatDane

Enthusiast
Try driving those 880's with a capable tube amp and I bet you'll change your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis