lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Phil, why not toslink? If anything better than coax since it wouldn't pass on a ground loop like coax could....same signal otherwise and your receiver can handle either....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, why not toslink? If anything better than coax since it wouldn't pass on a ground loop like coax could....same signal otherwise and your receiver can handle either....
So very true. But, it does NOT sound near as good as when using the digital coax. At least, that has been my experience. Honestly, I try to stay away from the optical connections as much as I can. Always sounds thin to me. :):):)

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So very true. But, it does NOT sound near as good as when using the digital coax. At least, that has been my experience. Honestly, I try to stay away from the optical connections as much as I can. Always sounds thin to me. :):):)

Phil
Never noticed a difference myself, especially not a "not sound near as good" type of difference either. Sure its not just something mundane like a level difference?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Huh? I'd be curious to know about this too. I've always had good results with optical connections.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Never noticed a difference myself, especially not a "not sound near as good" type of difference either. Sure its not just something mundane like a level difference?
I have noticed it several times over the years. That is why I just prefer to use digital coax. I will be sure to check it out again this time around. Will have to get back to you on that. Thanks!

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Huh? I'd be curious to know about this too. I've always had good results with optical connections.
Bill, over the years every time I used the optical things just sounded a bit thin to me. However, whenever I have use the digital coax things sound better and not thin. That is to my ears. I will, however, be sure to test that once again after getting all of my new gear setup and running. Working on that as we speak. Maybe things will sound different this time around. Will know soon enough. Got to order some new cables very soon. Will gladly add a few new optical as well. :):):)

Phil

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Bill, over the years every time I used the optical things just sounded a bit thin to me. However, whenever I have use the digital coax things sound better and not thin. That is to my ears. I will, however, be sure to test that once again after getting all of my new gear setup and running. Working on that as we speak. Maybe things will sound different this time around. Will know soon enough. Got to order some new cables very soon. Will gladly add a few new optical as well. :):):)

Phil
Nice Phil. Curious to see what you come up with. As with Chris, I've not detected a difference. Keep rockin!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nice Phil. Curious to see what you come up with. As with Chris, I've not detected a difference. Keep rockin!
Hey, I hope that I am wrong here. It is just something I have noticed over the years. However, I will look into it again given I have dodged the Optical for a very long time now. :):):)

Phil

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, I hope that I am wrong here. It is just something I have noticed over the years. However, I will look into it again given I have dodged the Optical for a very long time now. :):):)

Phil
I have also not used optical for a long time. This is due to hdmi though, as it has simplified my system a lot. When I did experiment, I didn't notice a difference between optical and digital coax. I wasn't really expecting one so I didn't look(listen?) too hard. My airport express that I use for streaming is 3.5 to stereo pair though, and IME sounds great. In any case, curious to see what you find.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have also not used optical for a long time. This is due to hdmi though, as it has simplified my system a lot. When I did experiment, I didn't notice a difference between optical and digital coax. I wasn't really expecting one so I didn't look(listen?) too hard. My airport express that I use for streaming is 3.5 to stereo pair though, and IME sounds great. In any case, curious to see what you find.
Well Bill you and Chris have me curious to. Will get around to trying both before it is all said and done. Not in any real big hurry here. In fact, I do not move as fast as I used to. Will just have to get with the both of you as soon as I can. Lots of changes going on here. That takes time as I am sure you both fully understand. :):):)

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis