speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My JBL 305 replacements will be here Friday. As such, I plan to power them via my Cambridge SR20 stereo receiver. That being said, it has a Wolfson DAC. Coming from my new Dell desktop via USB what is the best way to connect my Dell to my Cambridge SR 20? I was thinking something like this here:

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494949610&sr=8-1&keywords=FiiO+E10K

I do not need the headphone amp as my Dell headphone out sounds really good. But, the E10K does have dig coax out and I prefer that to optical out. My SR 20 has a dig coax in. Is this the best way to connect my Dell to my SR 20 receiver? If so, it looks like I will need a regular USB cable coming out of my Dell to a mini USB in for the E10K. Is that right?

Hope to use the Wolfson DAC in my SR 20. Is there any other way I need to consider before pulling the trigger on the E10K? Appreciate any help here. Thanks!

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone here offer some advice? Need to pull the trigger soon. Thanks!

Phil

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone here offer some advice? Need to pull the trigger soon. Thanks!

Phil
I believe the path you have charted (DELL to USB DAC to SR20 Receiver) will function with the correct cables. My first question was how are you going to connect those powered JBL's to the SR20? As I looked at the rear panels of each, I see common RCA speaker connections on the SR20 but balanced connections on the back of the JBLs. I know you have thought this out and have the solution, I just didn't see you describe that link in the chain.

I have had a few FIIO products in the past and they all worked reasonably well. YMMV of course.
That little USB box will do the gender mendering between your Dell and the SR20 and get you to digital coax.

I'd be interested in what this little system will be used for. I am intrigued by the choices of equipment.
What's the back story?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want to use the DAC in the receiver you'll need to provide it a digital signal from your source; why do you want an external DAC if you want to use the receiver's?

What are you replacing the 305s with?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I believe the path you have charted (DELL to USB DAC to SR20 Receiver) will function with the correct cables. My first question was how are you going to connect those powered JBL's to the SR20? As I looked at the rear panels of each, I see common RCA speaker connections on the SR20 but balanced connections on the back of the JBLs. I know you have thought this out and have the solution, I just didn't see you describe that link in the chain.

I have had a few FIIO products in the past and they all worked reasonably well. YMMV of course.
That little USB box will do the gender mendering between your Dell and the SR20 and get you to digital coax.

I'd be interested in what this little system will be used for. I am intrigued by the choices of equipment.
What's the back story?
My bad. I guess I should have been more specific. The JBL 305's are being replaced with the Wharfedale Diamond 220's which are not active monitors. That is why I will be powering them with the SR 20. I have to have a way to connect my Dell desktop to the SR 20. Then, I can connect my Diamond 220's to the SR 20.

I prefer to use the Wolfson DAC in the SR 20, but not sure how I can go about that. I can, however, use the FiiO E10K USB to DAC to connect my Dell desktop to the SR 20 via dig coax. But, I would be bypassing the Wolfson DAC and using the DAC in the E10K. What I am trying to do is use the Wolfson DAC and not bypass it. But how do I do that ? Hope that I am more clear now.....LOL!!!! Sorry for any confusion. Thanks!

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to use the DAC in the receiver you'll need to provide it a digital signal from your source; why do you want an external DAC if you want to use the receiver's?

What are you replacing the 305s with?
Right so using the FiiO E10K would still keep it all digital, but bypasses the DAC in the SR 20 receiver. How else can I keep the signal digital out of my Dell desktop to the SR 20 and still use the Wolfson DAC in the SR 20 at the same time? The 305's are being replaced with Wharfedale Diamond 220's which are not active monitors. Thanks!

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right so using the FiiO E10K would still keep it all digital, but bypasses the DAC in the SR 20 receiver. How else can I keep the signal digital out of my Dell desktop to the SR 20 and still use the Wolfson DAC in the SR 20 at the same time? The 305's are being replaced with Wharfedale Diamond 220's which are not active monitors. Thanks!

Phil
I misread earlier, thought your pc had a digital coax output. What output options does the dell have other than usb? The FiiO, if it can indeed pass the signal through as you mention ("keep the signal digital") then that should work.....altho I doubt it makes little if any difference which DAC you're using.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I misread earlier, thought your pc had a digital coax output. What output options does the dell have other than usb? The FiiO, if it can indeed pass the signal through as you mention ("keep the signal digital") then that should work.....altho I doubt it makes little if any difference which DAC you're using.
It has HDMI out, but using it to connect my new 24" monitor. The SR 20 does have a single dig coax input. The Wolfson DAC seems to garner a lot of positive reviews from what I have read. But, Chris you are right it probably will make very little, if any, difference. As you can see, I am NOT a computer guy. That is for sure. Perhaps, there is a way to do what I am trying to do w/o costing me an arm and a leg so to speak.

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It has HDMI out, but using it to connect my new 24" monitor. The SR 20 does have a single dig coax input. The Wolfson DAC seems to garner a lot of positive reviews from what I have read. But, Chris you are right it probably will make very little, if any, difference. As you can see, I am NOT a computer guy. That is for sure. Perhaps, there is a way to do what I am trying to do w/o costing me an arm and a leg so to speak.

Phil
If you had an avr with an hdmi input you'd be done. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you had an avr with an hdmi input you'd be done. :)
Well actually I do. But, it is being used in my main setup. However, I have another dilemma to solve. That is, I am using my Wharfedale Dentons in my main gig, but I am having a very hard time hearing dialogue when watching a BR/TV. So, I will be ordering me a center channel to take care of that. The problem is that the Dentons do NOT have a matching center.

Keep in mind that I will ONLY be using a center channel for when watching a BR/TV. There will be no surrounds of any kind and/or a powered sub. Just need something to improve dialogue intelligibility that would blend well enough with the Dentons. it appears many do not care for the Wharfedale center channel speakers too much. Looking for the best alternative w/o spending too much.

There it is, I have (2) problems to solve. One being the best way to connect my new Dell tower to my SR 20 stereo receiver to pwer my new Diamond 220's AND purchase a center channel that will (1) improve dialogue intelligibility and (2) blends with the Dentons well enough as to not lead to more issues. That is what I am waiting to pull the trigger on as we speak.

The FiiO E10K is only needed to allow for a USB to the E10K digital coax out to the SR 20 receiver. I will not be using the headphone amp built in the E10K b/c the Dells's headphone amp sounds really good. Would still like to find a way to use the Wolfson DAC in the SR 20. But, that may not be possible if I want to keep it all digital for the most part. At the very least, the E10K would be a way to connect my Dell tower to the SR 20.

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Chris, I did find this here:

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Decoder-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE

This may allow me to use the Wolfson Dac in my SR 20 while sending signal via digital coax to the SR 20 keeping it all digital. It is also less expensive. So, what do you think? Am I correct here?

Phil
Here is another way, but much more expensive:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_779DAC100S/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-100-Silver.html?tp=59341

The DacMagic 100 also employs the Wolfson DAC. This would solve my problem completely, but it costs more too. Might have to go this route though.

Phil
That Signstek unit's description probably isn't the best translation?
  • Full-featured, with analog output, coaxial / optical digital output, headphone output, you can output to the headphones, directly as a USB sound card to use
  • Coaxial and fiber optic signal IC for high-speed data through the plastic, the output signal is more stable, pure
  • Digital output signal isolation transformers fever DV709 digital filter, the other a more pure sound
  • Compact, portable, includes input and output sockets
  • With fever world acclaimed USB chip PCM2704
High speed data through the plastic? Fever? It does seem to have the ability to convert usb to digital optical/coax outputs which would do what you want.

Why would the DACMagic unit solve your problem completely? It doesn't seem to have the pass-thru feature. Is it the same Wolfson chip (not that that likely matters)?

If I didn't have an avr to use I'd get the Signstek unit and also see if you can even tell the difference with its dac vs the receiver's....the price is right.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Chris, I should have once again been more clear. The DacMagic has the same Wolfson DAC as my SR 20. As such, it would make for the best way for me to connect my Dell to my SR 20. But, the Signstek would also allow me to merely do the same. Might as well save some money. Probably will at least give it a try. Thanks!

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Chris, I should have once again been more clear. The DacMagic has the same Wolfson DAC as my SR 20. As such, it would make for the best way for me to connect my Dell to my SR 20. But, the Signstek would also allow me to merely do the same. Might as well save some money. Probably will at least give it a try. Thanks!

Phil
All these dacs seems like a lot of extra gear for nothing. Having the same chip doesn't mean the implementation is the same but likely not audible in any case. I think in this case you may as well just use the CA dac and active speakers :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
All these dacs seems like a lot of extra gear for nothing. Having the same chip doesn't mean the implementation is the same but likely not audible in any case. I think in this case you may as well just use the CA dac and active speakers :)
The JBL 305's and the Lexicon Alpha have been sold. Do not have any active speakers anymore. I can power the Wharfedale Diamond 220's with my new Denon AVR via Zone 2 b/c the Denon will only be powering my Dentons and a center of some sorts in the main zone. But, was hoping to set up (2) sets of fronts in the main zone while my SR 20 poweres my 220's for my desktop setup. That has been my plan for a long time now. Of course, plans change sometimes. Closer to picking a center as well.

Phil

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The JBL 305's and the Lexicon Alpha have been sold. Do not have any active speakers anymore. I can power the Wharfedale Diamond 220's with my new Denon AVR via Zone 2 b/c the Denon will only be powering my Dentons and a center of some sorts in the main zone. But, was hoping to set up (2) sets of fronts in the main zone while my SR 20 poweres my 220's for my desktop setup. That has been my plan for a long time now. Of course, plans change sometimes. Closer to picking a center as well.

Phil
Phil, I figured you were well on the way to the next round of gear in any case. Personally I'd try that simple converter (with a dac backup) first at least.

As far as a mismatched center, I've done that a few times and didn't find it to be a big deal. Why do you want two sets of fronts in the main zone, tho?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, I figured you were well on the way to the next round of gear in any case. Personally I'd try that simple converter (with a dac backup) first at least.

As far as a mismatched center, I've done that a few times and didn't find it to be a big deal. Why do you want two sets of fronts in the main zone, tho?
I love both my Dentons and/or B&W CM 1 S1's when listening to music. Which, of course, I do the most. The ONLY reason I plan to use a center is to improve dialogue intelligibility when watching a BR/TV. No plans to use any type of surrounds and/or a sub for that matter. Thus, the center will ONLY be used when watching a BR/TV and not when I listen to my music.

The Wharfedale Diamond 220's will serve me well when on my desktop. Plus, I still have my new JBL Everest 700 BT headphones as well. Just plan to watch more BR's since I now have a 4K BR player and 4K TV. Perhaps, my hearing is not what it used to be. Eventually though, I will also own a set of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's as well. Might use them in my BR. It just all depends.

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Mark, I prefer not to use Toslink to be honest here. Hoping to go USB in and digital coax out to my SR 20 receiver. Maybe find something that will allow me to utilize the Wolfson DAC in my SR 20. If not, then the FiiO E10K will suffice. Thanks!

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis