best subwoofer for under $500?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Hemingray, that's what I've been doing myself. Reading and researching, everything I can to make the right decision for my situation. It is a hard decision but I'm positive ill make the right one. I have till July 12th to make up my mind.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just a heads up, there is a C-stock Hsu VTF15h available right now, $100 off, it probably has some kind of scratch or tear in the veneer. Since you are placing it underneath a shelf, this may not make a difference for you. You might call Hsu up and ask about the condition of this unit. The C-stock and B-stock stuff all function fine, they only have cosmetic damage.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Shady how do you find out about these types of discount material? And thanks for the heads up. I can buy my sub yet I won't have the money to buy one till July 12th. I'm waiting on my bonus check to make my purchase.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Many of these companies sell B-stock at reduced prices. Most of them have B-stock pages, that was Hsu's page above, here is Outlaw's B-stock page and here is SVS's, but sometimes their B-stock inventory aren't always listed on their pages, so if you are really looking for a deal, call some of these guys up or send them an email asking about what they have.

D Bone

D Bone

Audioholic Intern
Wow, this thread just died.......Read all 13 pages looking forward to the result and nothing. :rolleyes:

H

hemingray

Enthusiast
OP ended up with a PSA XV15 (and I ended up with a Rythmik LV12R).

The question turned out to be kinda like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
LOL, this thread should be renamed, op bought an $800 sub, lol...

IMO under $500 is one of the toughest budgets, for SQ I would say the sb1000/pb1000, for output I think dual Polk 505's.... DIY is probably the best sub option all together but $500 doesn't even get you much in that department...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The easy choice for output at $500 would be the Premiere Acoustics PA-150, above 40 Hz that thing turns into a monster. $500 could get you something significant in the DIY realm. Check this out, SI D4 18" driver, Behringer iNuke Nu1000, and $100 in MDF and paint. There is a $500 sub which no $1k sub could compete with, at as far as performance goes.

Last edited:
J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
The easy choice for output at $500 would be the Premiere Acoustics PA-150, above 40 Hz that thing turns into a monster. $500 could get you something significant in the DIY realm. Check this out, SI D4 18" driver, Behringer iNuke Nu1000, and $100 in MDF and paint. There is a $500 sub which no $1k sub could compete with, at as far as performance goes.
Think there's a problem with your link to the stereo integrity subs, when I clicked on it I went to a parts express sub kit - I think this is the link you meant to use Stereo Integrity | HT Subwoofers

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for catching that, its corrected now.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
It would be awesome if someone made the enclosures for a fair price and shipped them, so people could just buy the woofer their amp and the box. You figure $80 in materials, $60 in shipping, and $100 in labor and profits charge $250 for good measure and it would be a good little side business for someone that knows their way around a table saw.... Even offer them finish ready so the buyer can spray them what ever color they want....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Parts-express has enclosures available, and also flat-packs. DIY Sound Group has flat packs available. Anyway, a simple subwoofer cabinet shouldn't cost too much to have a local cabinet builder make for you.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have a carpenter {master cabinet maker and finish expert} that I employ part and sometimes full time, I learned long ago you need an experienced carpenter to drill holes and build walls, so he drills all of our holes and builds all of our walls :D. he built all the cabinets in my house, some of them open up, then open up again, and then again, he does very good work. But not everybody has that and how most people are they just want to click and wait for UPS... I have seen some of the knockdown kits in the flat packs and they are kind of shoddy...

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I have done the flat packs and have had very good luck with mine. I have a pair is sealed 1.25 cu ft units and a pair of 4.5 cu ft units and both in my opinion are exceptional for the price that they cost and ease if construction. I took my cabinets to an auto paint shop and had them painted and they are fantastic looking and you can literally pick any color you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I thought this thread died a long time ago! I didn't realize people were still posting in here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis