best subwoofer for under $500?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
So how much would I have to spend on a sub that's adequate for the size room I have?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One now and add a second is probably a good way to go about it - something like the PB-1000 and add a second. It has already been mentioned a few times though, that there are subs at the ~$600 range that will handle a large room already, the problem is that's above the budget right now. Who knows, you may be happy with one PB-1000.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I read a bunch of reviews on the outlaw and they weren't as positive as those for the SVS, I don't know if that's like comparing apple's to oranges are not?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So how much would I have to spend on a sub that's adequate for the size room I have?
Let me tell you a story. :D

My family room is 18' x 20' x 12' and open to formal living, formal dinning, and kitchen.

I had one BIC PL-200 sub (102.5/107.7/110.4/108.1dB @ 32/40/50/63Hz from 2m). This single sub shook my family room walls like a rag doll!

I paid $278 delivered. This sub is a HSU STF-2 clone.

So talk to these guys and see if they can sell you 2 of these subs @ $250 each.
Bic Acoustech New Model Platinum Series PL-200

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Well that's a lot more reassuring, they rate it a lot higher than others I've seen. I wish there was a way to hear it before u buy it thou. I think that's one of the things that caught my attention about SVS is there 45 day return policy, its gives a little piece of mind.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Let me tell you a story. :D

My family room is 18' x 20' x 12' and open to formal living, formal dinning, and kitchen.

I had one BIC PL-200 sub (102.5/107.7/110.4/108.1dB @ 32/40/50/63Hz from 2m). This single sub shook my family room walls like a rag doll!

I paid $278 delivered. This sub is a HSU STF-2 clone.

So talk to these guys and see if they can sell you 2 of these subs @ $250 each.
Bic Acoustech New Model Platinum Series PL-200
Galdangit, I done told ya, the PL-200 is NOT a clone of the STF2 or even close to that.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
The bic pl-200 was actually the first sub I was looking at, I was impressed by the numbers, but didn't hear anything about it from others when I questioned about it so I thought it might just be a sham are something.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Galdangit, I done told ya, the PL-200 is NOT a clone of the STF2 or even close to that.
Oh, I was told the PL-200 was designed by HSU.

Okay, not the STF2 clone, but what about STF1 clone with a 200W amp? :D

At any rate, that single PL-200 shook my walls like crazy. :eek: Extremely impressive for a $278 sub!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The bic pl-200 was actually the first sub I was looking at, I was impressed by the numbers, but didn't hear anything about it from others when I questioned about it so I thought it might just be a sham are something.
It's not sham! I used to own one. I used to put a tall stack of HT magazines top of my PL-200 sub and watch the stack crumble as my walls were shaken like a rag doll by the PL-200. :D

As ShayJ pointed out, those numbers may not be 10% THD limited, but they are still really good 2m SPL outputs @ 32/40/50/63Hz: 102.5/107.7/110.4/108.1dB.

Having two subs would increase the levels by 3dB, and your room will effectively increase those outputs by another 3-6dB or more depending on room size and placement.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Outlaw has a 30 day return policy. The Outlaw will stomp on a PB1000 without question. According to SVS, the PB1000 has a similar response to the PB12 NSD except 3 db down in output capability. Since the Outlaw already bests the PB12 NSD in output ability in a big way, how do you think it will compare to the PB1000? Go with the Outlaw while it is on sale, Outlaw's sales do not last long. Even at its regular price it is still a great deal. Above 30 hz it might be more comparable to the PB12 Plus than the NSD.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oh, I was told the PL-200 was designed by HSU.

Okay, not the STF2 clone, but what about STF1 clone with a 200W amp? :D

At any rate, that single PL-200 shook my walls like crazy. :eek: Extremely impressive for a $278 sub!
Yeah, it doesn't measure badly for the price. I have read that Hsu had some kind of hand in designing the PL200, but I don't know to what extent. Hsu has helped BIC with other things. Not a surprising relationship, considering Hsu and BIC are both headquartered in the same building.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, if you can squeeze another $129 (which I would do and recommend), I agree that the LFM-1 EX is equivocally the best sub for $629 delivered. :D

Outlaw LFM-1EX: 110.7dB 32Hz/112.3dB 40Hz/113.7dB 50Hz/113.8dB 63Hz.

Even a PL200 can shake the heck out of my 18' x 20' x 12' room. So I am sure a single LFM-1EX can really shake your room crazy good.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, it doesn't measure badly for the price. I have read that Hsu had some kind of hand in designing the PL200, but I don't know to what extent. Hsu has helped BIC with other things. Not a surprising relationship, considering Hsu and BIC are both headquartered in the same building.
Oh, wow, in the same building? Something new everyday. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Never seen you guys so passionate.:eek: Eating popcorn and watching this thread in bliss...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never seen you guys so passionate.:eek: Eating popcorn and watching this thread in bliss...

$650 (sale $629) Outlaw LFM-1EX: 110.7/112.3/113.7/113.8dB @ 32/40/50/63Hz
$9,000 Paradigm Sig Sub2: 109.9/113.2/116.9/120.2dB

So at 32Hz, the Outlaw could actually output more than the $9,000 Paradigm Sub2! :eek: :D

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Awesome! That's pretty good to say the least. I probably won't be able to catch it before the sales over but yall differently caught my attention on this and are all very informative and helpful. I appreciate it. Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis