Best Sub under $300?

S

sactown024

Audiophyte
My subwwoofer is 5 years old, it worked fine up till one day and then the standby light came on (red) and no sound would come from it.

well one day I decided to take it out of th closet for fun to see if it would work and BAM! it worked fine again. Then I put it away for a few months, took it back out and now it doesnt work again :( only noise it makes it a small thump when i turn the power on. I know its not the reciever cause i just bought a brand new reciever yesterday since my old one stopped working. I know all the subwoofer settings are fine so i think its def somehting internal on the subwoofer (amp or something) although it worked fine then stopped and then worked again (???) weird, i know.

so if anyone knows whats wrong please help otherwise let me know what is the best subwoofer I can get under $300. Thanks.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Realize that in this price range there are a lot of compromises. Many will suggest you stretch your budget a little. DIY offers best bang for the buck if you have the tools already. Not everyone has the time or inclination though.

Here's a short list :

Outlaw M8 M8 Powered Subwoofer
$249 or $225 b-stock
The LFM-1 is $349 B- stock if you stretch your budget.

Hsu STF-1 HSU STF-1 Subwoofer
$299 + $35 s/h

Energy S10.3 is on sale at newegg for $199 shipped here's a page with the promo code - Newegg.com - An October of Savings: Over 100 Top-notch Deals on Hardware, Systems & More!
I got a pair and I'm pleased I don't think you can beat it for the $.

S

sactown024

Audiophyte
what about something like the Infinity PS38 for only $200

is this junk? has outstanding reviews...

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
what about something like the Infinity PS38 for only $200

is this junk? has outstanding reviews...
The specs listed here Harman Audio - PS38BK
are 35-150 +-3db so it's not going to go as low as the other's mentioned.
That doesn't tell you how loud it will play which is another part of the equation.

Corner placement can increase the bass somewhat.

If you wanted an infinity sub you can try the Harman Audio store on Ebay and score one of their bigger subs.

S

sactown024

Audiophyte
I know someone that is selling all of this for $250

Klipsch ss1 rear speakers with stands
klipsch sf1 front speakers
klipsch kv1 center
klipsch ksw12 subwoofer

is it worth it? I mean its 5 years old so I dont know if I am better off getting these (outdated?) or started from scratch since in reality I would like to replace all of my speakers since they are small and better suited for a bedroom.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
If you like how they sound then it might be a good deal.

If you're thinking of replacing all your speakers post to the speaker forum with some details about your current setup, room, and listening habits and you'll find plenty of people willing to help you spend your money.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BIC PL200 gets my vote for best single $277 delivered subwoofer. It was designed by HSU.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
is it worth fixing.

If not the Dayton Sub-120 is pretty good for the price.

S

sactown024

Audiophyte
someone just offered me a BIC F12 for $125 used, how is this sub?

I am not sure if mine is repairable, im sure it is but dont think its worth it as its kind of a cheap sub anyways (infinity tss450).

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
let me know what is the best subwoofer I can get under $300. Thanks.
I created a thread over at avsforum.com dedicated to budget subwoofers that might be helpful. I'd start the same thread on this forum if I could, but the size limit for a post is only 10,000 characters here. Unfortunately my post is larger then that, so I can't duplicate the same information on blu-ray.com.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
I created a thread over at avsforum.com dedicated to budget subwoofers that might be helpful. I'd start the same thread on this forum if I could, but the size limit for a post is only 10,000 characters here. Unfortunately my post is larger then that, so I can't duplicate the same information on blu-ray.com.
Simple fix, do it in mutiple posts.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Yup, sure could, but frankly it seems a little silly to have that as the only option. Maybe the post size should be increased to something a bit more reasonable... :p

B

benjammin

Audiophyte
The Klipsch SW-450 is on sale til Saturday at Best Buy for $269. Just got one to go with my RB 61s and it sounds great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis