Best sub 1000 center channel speaker?

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Hey

I'm starting a 11.2 surround system and was wondering what center channel speaker I should get. I have a klipsch RP-450C at the moment, and was thinkg to upgrading to a Klipsch RC-64C. Any better alternatives? The Kef Q series Q600c also looks nice, and is a few hundred euros cheaper.

Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What are the rest of your speakers? Ideally all 3 across the front would be the same, but keeping with the same manufacturers line should be at least a requirement.

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
I use Klipsch Forte II as my front speakers. Might upgrade to the Klipsch RF 7II (which are the tower counter parts of the RC 64II). Is it really so much better to use the same line? I'm not really experienced in this kind of stuff :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use Klipsch Forte II as my front speakers. Might upgrade to the Klipsch RF 7II (which are the tower counter parts of the RC 64II). Is it really so much better to use the same line? I'm not really experienced in this kind of stuff :)
In my opinion, yes it does matter. To some others it might not, but I've had Frankenstein systems before, and due to my experiences there, I say it matters. All speakers should be able to "hand off" to the next one without calling attention to themselves.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've had identical 3 tower speakers for my fronts (all towers) and it sounded great. I'll be doing the same with my new theater. Won't be going back to horizontal center unless I have to.

If I had to, I'd be sure to go with the center channel design that was timber matched to my LR speakers. Most manufacturers do this so just go with whatever matches your current LR unless you can get matching LCR then do that.

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
I've had identical 3 tower speakers for my fronts (all towers) and it sounded great. I'll be doing the same with my new theater. Won't be going back to horizontal center unless I have to.

If I had to, I'd be sure to go with the center channel design that was timber matched to my LR speakers. Most manufacturers do this so just go with whatever matches your current LR unless you can get matching LCR then do that.
Hey what do you mean by "timber matched" and LR/LCR?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey what do you mean by "timber matched" and LR/LCR?
The same lumber...I misspelled timbre. I also just misspelled misspelled and had to correct. :oops:

Anyway, timbre matching ensures that the speakers use the same tweeter, crossover and the like. Where's @TLS Guy when you need him to explain something? :D

This is an older thread, but it is explained well.

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
What do I do then when I use and old pair of forteIIs.. is there any center that has the same tweeter etc ? (Except another big vertical from the heritage line, which I cant put in front of my tv :p)

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Also, is there a way tot match them more using software (Ill be using a Marantz sr7011), or by some other trickery?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Also, is there a way tot match them more using software (Ill be using a Marantz sr7011), or by some other trickery?
Not really. A receiver can't compensate for speakers that are made differently. For matching the front three all you need to do is try to get as close as you can.

It looks like those are fairly old speakers so there won't be a center version out there unless someone stole some drivers from an original Forte II. A Klipsch center will be what you want to get. You may give them a call and see if they can tell you what the best center option is.

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I'll make sure I stick to the Klipsch combination. Thanks for the advice! I'm also planning to upgrade the drivers (and some other things) so I'll make sure to ask about a good front speaker match.

Point is I recently (after my post) found a good deal in a Palladium center speaker and Is went for it! Ill do some checking on its compatibility with the Fortes, but might upgrade to some Palladium bookshelf speakers in the Future.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
what do you dont like about the klipsch rp450c?
everywhere ive read reviews people love it

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
what do you dont like about the klipsch rp450c?
everywhere ive read reviews people love it
Nothing not to love about them to be honest.. I just had some "space" left in my budget and was looking for an upgrade as it is the most important speaker so I thought it was worth the investment. Do not think I will ever need to upgrade a palladium right? ;)

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Although my description says I already have the palladium, that's not the case. I still need to pick it up, which means I can still change my mind. Meaning, would using a Heresy III get me a better sound? Considering I'm probably gonna change the tweeters of the forte to match the palladium, and I'm probably gonna upgrade my forteIIs to a RF7II in the future. Or is that impossible to say without hearing?

D

Droogne

Junior Audioholic
Not really. A receiver can't compensate for speakers that are made differently. For matching the front three all you need to do is try to get as close as you can.

It looks like those are fairly old speakers so there won't be a center version out there unless someone stole some drivers from an original Forte II. A Klipsch center will be what you want to get. You may give them a call and see if they can tell you what the best center option is.
Hey, do you think using a speaker from the heritage line would get me a better soundstage? It would also spare me around +1000 euro so I'm suddenly really considering that option !

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, do you think using a speaker from the heritage line would get me a better soundstage? It would also spare me around +1000 euro so I'm suddenly really considering that option !
Sorry, I really don't know if it would or not. Maybe some of the Klipsch owners will chime in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis