Best speakers and receiver for around $3,000?

What's the best match up of speakers and a receiver no matter what the brand name for $3,000?

• Yamaha

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
S

Scott Parham

Audiophyte
I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer... So I'm going to update my system and have been going back and forth between speakers and receivers... I have a older Yamaha receiver and powered sub along with 2 old KLH ''12s and 2 Athena 5'' speakers... (BTW in my opinion my 2 Athena speakers are the best I've heard, I love them) I just got a new Sony 4K TV and Bluray so now I want to update is my receiver and 2 front floor speakers...

With all that said do you know anything about the Yamaha NS-777 speakers? I have had my eye on them but just can't pull the trigger because I'm not sure about them compared to these RP-280F... Witch one is better all around and what is the best receiver for the money to push either speaker? The receiver I've been looking at is the Yamaha RX-A870... Also, between these 2 kinds of Klipsch speakers which one is better? The RP 280F or R-26FA DOLBY ATMOS? What's the best match up of speakers and a receiver no matter what the brand name?

I would like all the feedback I can get about what receiver and floor speakers to get that hit, sound clear, and don't coust $20,000... lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would call IQ Home Entertainment and ask for the Denon X4300 for $750!

2 AH members have already done that.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/denon-x3300-599-amazon-july-2017.107954/#post-1201804

That leaves you $2,250 for 2 front towers.

Too many options here.

One option would be the RBH SV-6500 towers (1 x ScanSpeak Silk dome tweeter, 2 x RBH 6.5" midrange aluminum woofers, and 3 x RBH 6.5" aluminum bass woofers).

But there are many other good options for both new and used speakers.

Last edited:

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
I would call IQ Home Entertainment and ask for the Denon X4300 for $750!

2 AH members have already done that.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/denon-x3300-599-amazon-july-2017.107954/#post-1201804

That leaves you $2,250 for 2 front towers.

Too many options here.

One option would be the RBH SV-6500 towers.

But there are many other good options for both new and used speakers.
I'm new to home theater. Is this company known in the enthusiast circle? I'm shopping too so I'll look into them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm new to home theater. Is this company known in the enthusiast circle? I'm shopping too so I'll look into them.

RBH Sound is in the enthusiast circle, among many other brands (KEF, Revel, B&W, Salk to name a few).

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/rbh-sound-owners-thread.91330/

Their flagship is the $50,000/pr Status Acoustics 8T towers that Gene owns in his home.

I own RBH's other less expensive flagships - the RBH SX-T2/R towers and now the RBH SVT towers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You'll get many suggestions and there are a lot of great options. I second ADTG's recommendation for the 4300 (the speakers are very nice too). Personally, I love my SVS Ultra Towers. Very good bass (into the upper 20hz range) and is an accurate speaker. I've seen them described as a bit forward, but nice and neutral and I agree. The 4300 will have no problem driving them either.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
RBH Sound is in the enthusiast circle, among many other brands (KEF, Revel, B&W, Salk to name a few).

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/rbh-sound-owners-thread.91330/

Their flagship is the $50,000/pr Status Acoustics 8T towers that Gene owns in his home.

I own RBH's other less expensive flagships - the RBH SX-T2/R towers and now the RBH SVT towers.
Thanks for that because I'm looking for speakers too. I was actually asking about IQ Entertainment... meaning if they are known as a good go to place to buy equipment. Where I live we don't have stores like that for enthusiasts.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for that because I'm looking for speakers too. I was actually asking about IQ Entertainment... meaning if they are known as a good go to place to buy equipment. Where I live we don't have stores like that for enthusiasts.

IQ Entertainment has a storefront on Amazon. So that's a good thing. I would feel pretty good buying from them. Amazon Prime would be best, though. But the X4300 isn't on sale yet on Amazon Prime.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer... So I'm going to update my system and have been going back and forth between speakers and receivers... I have a older Yamaha receiver and powered sub along with 2 old KLH ''12s and 2 Athena 5'' speakers... (BTW in my opinion my 2 Athena speakers are the best I've heard, I love them) I just got a new Sony 4K TV and Bluray so now I want to update is my receiver and 2 front floor speakers...

With all that said do you know anything about the Yamaha NS-777 speakers? I have had my eye on them but just can't pull the trigger because I'm not sure about them compared to these RP-280F... Witch one is better all around and what is the best receiver for the money to push either speaker? The receiver I've been looking at is the Yamaha RX-A870... Also, between these 2 kinds of Klipsch speakers which one is better? The RP 280F or R-26FA DOLBY ATMOS? What's the best match up of speakers and a receiver no matter what the brand name?

I would like all the feedback I can get about what receiver and floor speakers to get that hit, sound clear, and don't coust $20,000... lol
Some OEM choices I like...Golden Ear Triton 2, & 3...the 2+ is a larger speaker so if the room is on the large size I would look more at the 2+, but both are full range speakers.

This is a little outside of your $3k, but the Revel F206 is a nice neutral speaker. Monitor Audio Sliver line is pretty good and I'm going to second the RBH and SVS Ultra suggestions I saw earlier.

If you don't mind waiting for a custom speaker...performance for the money spent it's hard to beat Salk or Philharmonic. I have a pair of Salks on order.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In that budget and criteria, I would be looking at the Denon X4300 deal that AcuDefTechGuy linked to.

If you are into content that likes heavy bass, I would go for two subwoofers and a pair of bookshelf speakers. If you want tower speakers, just set the bookshelf speakers on top of the subs, and viola, tower speakers, but now you have tower speakers with bass capability far beyond regular towers. That is essentially what many tower speakers are anyway.

Lots of good speaker and subwoofer manufacturers out there, look at Revel, RBH, Hsu Research, SVS, Ascend Acoustics, Outlaw Audio, Rythmik, JBL, etc. One inexpensive floor-standing speaker I quite liked was the Fluance Signature towers, very nice sound on those, and powerful bass capability as well.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Receiver options have been given

I would take the JBL Studio 580 and the Boston M350 over the Yamaha, Klipsch, KLH, and Athena

JBL 580 -- regular price $799 each
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-580-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B0060IG460/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501887615&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+580

Boston M350 -- use to list for $2500 a pair
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=boston+m350

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The receiver I've been looking at is the Yamaha RX-A870
The previous model RX-A860 was a flawed design providing very poor performance into 4 ohm loads or if you are driving multiple speakers (say 5 or more). Unless you can verify that they totally revamped the 870, when they replaced the 860 with it, stay clear of this one!
That is a killer deal on the Denon 4300!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is a killer deal on the Denon 4300!
Yeah. Brand New Authorized Dealer Denon 4300 for $750 delivery is awesome.

If I didn't already own like 9 Denon, I would be tempted. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis