Best Speaker Brands

S

swspiers

Audioholic
In terms of "Best Speaker Brands", I want to update my list::D

Revel, Infinity, JBL, KEF, NHT, Philharmonic, Salk, Linkwitz, Seaton, JTR, Geddes, RBH, EMP, Aperion, PSB.

Basically all the speakers with flat on-axis and smooth off-axis frequency responses.:D
You SOOOO need to check out Ohm and MBL!!!

Omnis absolutely provide what you're looking for.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Home theater:
JTR, Danley, Genelec, Dynacord, Funktion One (price sucks due to them being made in the UK - the exchange rate, best to find them used).

Small room and monitoring:
Bag End, Dynaudio (also excellent subs, people always talk about their mains, but forget that Dynaudio makes excellent sounding subwoofers), Genelec.

T

texray

Audiophyte
replay to Jaxvon

Have you ever heard a Def Tech speaker? I have, and I've heard Golden Ear speakers, a company opened by one of the Def Tech guys. I can only tell you that I wouldn't put Def Tech or Golden Ear on your list. I don't like the Def Tech speakers I've heard, nor do i like the Golden Ear speakers. They both seem to have some sort of artificial sound in the bass that I don't like. And they don't throw off a big soundstage and they just don't sound right at all. And the Golden Ear speakers are not worth no $2500. I heard Maggies in the same hi-fi shop that I heard the Golden Ear's in. The Maggies blow them away and they are $2100. All you need do is add a good subwoofer (about another $1000 for a good one) to them and that would be a killer speaker system. Here'a few add ons for your list.

Atlantic Technology
Ohm Accoustics
Dahlquist ( I think they still make speakers)

One reviewer called Maggies the best bargain in hi-fi. they are spectacular, but I need to hear more speakers before I'm sure of that claim. They say speakers are a matter of taste, but I think that the way to approach speaker buying is to take an experienced critical listener with you out speaker shopping, that is if you aren't alreaday one, and let them pick your speakers out for you. Of course you have the final say. After all, it is your money.

Ray

Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
I use Difinitive in one room and bought James inwall loudspeakers with James 1000PP M1000 James sub amp and they rock.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you ever heard a Def Tech speaker? I have, and I've heard Golden Ear speakers, a company opened by one of the Def Tech guys. I can only tell you that I wouldn't put Def Tech or Golden Ear on your list. I don't like the Def Tech speakers I've heard, nor do i like the Golden Ear speakers. They both seem to have some sort of artificial sound in the bass that I don't like. And they don't throw off a big soundstage and they just don't sound right at all. And the Golden Ear speakers are not worth no $2500. I heard Maggies in the same hi-fi shop that I heard the Golden Ear's in. The Maggies blow them away and they are $2100. All you need do is add a good subwoofer (about another $1000 for a good one) to them and that would be a killer speaker system. Here'a few add ons for your list.

Atlantic Technology
Ohm Accoustics
Dahlquist ( I think they still make speakers)

One reviewer called Maggies the best bargain in hi-fi. they are spectacular, but I need to hear more speakers before I'm sure of that claim. They say speakers are a matter of taste, but I think that the way to approach speaker buying is to take an experienced critical listener with you out speaker shopping, that is if you aren't alreaday one, and let them pick your speakers out for you. Of course you have the final say. After all, it is your money.

Ray
I've heard Magnepan, and I didn't like them at all. I used to own DefTech, and I thought they sounded much better. And some reviewers think DefTeh are the best bragain too.

How do the Magnepan measure?

Magnepan Magneplanar MG3.6/R loudspeaker Measurements part 2 | Stereophile.com

Magnepan Magneplanar MG3.6/R loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Wow. That looks absolutely horrible! No wonder I hated the way the sound!:eek:

Here is one DefTech:

Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTower loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Doesn't look great, but much better than that Magnepan.

If we think that Magnepan or DefTech or Martin Logan or any speaker sounds great subjectively, that is fine. We should buy the speakers that sound the best to us. But that is 100% subjective and pure personal preference.

But if we are going to debate what is the "best", I don't know, I think we need to look at the objective side of things.

I subjectively like DefTech too. But objectively, I can't say they are among the "best" because their measurements are not among the "best".

Otherwise, almost every brand will be the "best".

Last edited:
P

prairiesun

Audiophyte
RE: Do speakers degrade and what are best speaker brands

I might not be a true audiophile but I am very particular and because I am female, I always tend to like different speakers than my musician boyfriend. I am guessing speakers do not have to degrade because, when he hooked up some blown ADS speakers he bought in the early 70's, then sounded way better than his Klipsch and Bose 901's. They still sounded rich and full to my ears. I detest his other speakers. I have not heard speakers or stereo systems yet to beat the full, rich sound from the stereo's and speakers of the 70's, Yamaha, etc. I did hear some pretty nice sounding Paradigm speakers once. We are back to playing vinyl albums and they do sound better, too. There are good cleaning systems on the market that get rid of any hiss. Good luck.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I might not be a true audiophile but I am very particular and because I am female, I always tend to like different speakers than my musician boyfriend. I am guessing speakers do not have to degrade because, when he hooked up some blown ADS speakers he bought in the early 70's, then sounded way better than his Klipsch and Bose 901's. They still sounded rich and full to my ears. I detest his other speakers. I have not heard speakers or stereo systems yet to beat the full, rich sound from the stereo's and speakers of the 70's, Yamaha, etc. I did hear some pretty nice sounding Paradigm speakers once. We are back to playing vinyl albums and they do sound better, too. There are good cleaning systems on the market that get rid of any hiss. Good luck.
I like acoustic suspension speakers and I missed those AR speakers made in the 70's. I seem to recall ADS made acoustic suspension speakers too in those days so I am not surprise if they sound great but like AR's, they probably also need a lot of power to get the bass right.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis