qawiz

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I am new to this so here goes....

My current set-up is 5.1 and:

Receiver: Yamaha HTR 5560
Speakers: Polk Audio RM6200
Speaker Wire: Monster Cable

I am thinking of upgrading to a Yamaha RX-Z7 or RX-V3900 Receiver.

My question is, can I / should I keep the Polk Audio rear speakers. And even if I can, what are some suggestions for good speakers to place on the rear for this set-up?

I was also thinking of keeping some of the Polk Audio Speakers for a 7.1 Surround sound and adding new rear speakers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

M

mike_wassell

Audioholic Intern
Figure out what speakers you want to use for your front mains then buy the matching center and surround speakers that go with the front mains that you chose.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
upgrade your speakers first:) Spending money on a new avr of that caliber with those speakers is a crying shame:eek:

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I agreee with Bandphan concentrate on speaker upgrade.

upgrade your speakers first:) Spending money on a new avr of that caliber with those speakers is a crying shame:eek:
Bandphan makes an excellent recommendation. The front speakers are most important. The center speaker should match to maintain timbre ( seamless front sound). The recommended matching speaker or a third speaker like the fronts can be used as center. Center is important if you listen to TV or movies because it carries most of the voice dialog.

The surrounds are for enhancement and don't have to match the fronts. Even thought really, really true hard-core audophiles insist that every speaker is the same :rolleyes:. You could reuse your current Polk Audio RM6200 speakers as surrounds; that is what I would suggest.

The subwoofer also doesn't have to match. SVS and Hsu are good brands and a subwoofer can be added later.

Going back to the front speakers, if possible, audition them and audition them with the type of music that you normally listen too in a sound room that most closely depicts your actual setup. Think of how much $$$ you want to spend and we can provide some great recommendations. There are a lot of good sounding speakers, but you are the final judge and that is why audtioning is important.

Good Luck,

MidCow2

Q

qawiz

Audiophyte
I forgot to add the Front Speakers I want to get...

Hi All,

I am new to this so here goes....

My current set-up is 5.1 and:

Receiver: Yamaha HTR 5560
Speakers: Polk Audio RM6200
Speaker Wire: Monster Cable

I am thinking of upgrading to a Yamaha RX-Z7 or RX-V3900 Receiver.

My question is, can I / should I keep the Polk Audio rear speakers. And even if I can, what are some suggestions for good speakers to place on the rear for this set-up?

I was also thinking of keeping some of the Polk Audio Speakers for a 7.1 Surround sound and adding new rear speakers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry guys, I also want to get for Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTi A9

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I am thinking of upgrading to:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-Z7 or RX-V3900
Front Floorstanding Speakers: Polk Audio RTi A9
Unless you need specific features that those receivers offer. IMO you can spend less on a receiver/amplification, and use the saved cash to put toward better speakers. JMO

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry guys, I also want to get for Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTi A9

Unless you need specific features that those receivers offer. IMO you can spend less on a receiver/amplification, and use the saved cash to put toward better speakers. JMO

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
please see the post pad thread in the feedback section for selling via the classifieds;):rolleyes:
hehehe, you're right, sorry. I'm trying to get to 25 posts so I can advertise them. =)

Won't happen again.

Q

qawiz

Audiophyte
I forgot to mention the Front Standing Speakers. This was a crucial detail that others were asking, and I added it as well as placed the question in a better category.

Thanks

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
okay "Floor Standing Speakers" and better category Budget??

I forgot to mention the Front Standing Speakers. This was a crucial detail that others were asking, and I added it as well as placed the question in a better category.

Thanks
Okay ! but it would have been clearer if you had said you were adding floor stand ing info and that you were trying to put in better category.

Now let's assume you want to get new Floor Standing Speakers ? What budget do you wnat to spend?

Thanks,

MidCow2

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I would get rid of the Monster Cable speaker wire and go buy some stuff to replace it from Blue Jean Cable Co.

Monster is notorious for making rear speakers sound bad...oh, and they sue the bujeezus off of a bunch of people for no reason too.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
deleted and merged duplicate threads

hehehe, you're right, sorry. I'm trying to get to 25 posts so I can advertise them. =)

Won't happen again.
deleted post pads.

we don't appreciate post pads to post in the classifieds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis